Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1962 Topps Baseball question,Green Tint (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=324859)

camaro69 09-14-2022 11:57 AM

1962 Topps Baseball question,Green Tint

OK, I am not a baseball card collector. So it seems that I always have a lot of question about cards from that sport.
So recently I bought a small lot of 1962 Topps baseball. So after doing a bit of research on the set. It appears there
is a variation set called green tint. So is this something that there is a variation for every card in the set. Or is it something
that happened to just certain cards in the set.Is there a checklist that I could use to check to see if I have any of these
variation cards. Also is there any difference in value between the green tint and the regular cards. Thanks in advance for any help.

G1911 09-14-2022 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro69 (Post 2263540)
OK, I am not a baseball card collector. So it seems that I always have a lot of question about cards from that sport.
So recently I bought a small lot of 1962 Topps baseball. So after doing a bit of research on the set. It appears there
is a variation set called green tint. So is this something that there is a variation for every card in the set. Or is it something
that happened to just certain cards in the set.Is there a checklist that I could use to check to see if I have any of these
variation cards. Also is there any difference in value between the green tint and the regular cards. Thanks in advance for any help.

It only affects series 2. Part of the production run used a different printing with a terrible look; the skies are green, colors are blurred, the images look a lot more low quality. Most are easy to spot. Green tints are scarcer than the proper quality printing run, but are not difficult at all and are widely available. I’m 1 card away from my own green tint set, a fun run without any real big cards you need to buy twice.

This album shows the differences on the cards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/obctom...7602774575697/

ALR-bishop 09-14-2022 01:57 PM

While most of the differences are color, tint and cropping differences, for some reason the 2nd printing also used different portraits/poses for some players as can be seen in the scans Greg provided....Walls, Hoeft, Kunkle, Wiley, Yost and Moon. And Reniff got messed up in more ways than one :)

G1911 09-14-2022 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2263579)
While most of the differences are color, tint and cropping differences, for some reason the 2nd printing also used different portraits/poses for some players as can be seen in the scans Greg provided....Walls, Hoeft, Kunkle, Wiley, Yost and Moon. And Reniff got messed up in more ways than one :)

I think I spent more time figuring out how many 139/159 cards there were with Reniff than I did actually shopping for them ;). No clue why Topps would go to the effort of redesigning several of the cards to use completely different pictures when they switched printers. Seems like they just had a lot of unrelated problems intersecting in one series.

I’ve noticed the green tints are also often found with red streaks on them that I think I remember a previous discussion (I don’t know if it was on Net54 or a private group or something) concluding are remnants from how the presses were cleaned. Certain cards like Jim Brewer crop up with these streak marks more than others, though the exact pattern of the red marks varies.

I like them as a fun subset. I just need one of the Ruth cards, 138, to finish.

Topps had a similar problem with their football series the next year, with red ink over the backgrounds of many card images giving them a purple tint version, that had to be corrected in the print run. Many of the 1962 football cards have a similar look to these problems, but were never altered or fixed.

mikemb 09-14-2022 03:21 PM

This thread was very helpful to me in identifying the green tints.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ght=green+tint

It was a fun subset to complete. I started getting them in the late 1960's and finished just a couple of years ago.

Mike

camaro69 09-14-2022 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2263550)
It only affects series 2. Part of the production run used a different printing with a terrible look; the skies are green, colors are blurred, the images look a lot more low quality. Most are easy to spot. Green tints are scarcer than the proper quality printing run, but are not difficult at all and are widely available. I’m 1 card away from my own green tint set, a fun run without any real big cards you need to buy twice.

This album shows the differences on the cards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/obctom...7602774575697/

Thank you very much. The link helped a lot. But after I look at the link it sort of looks to me that the first card
that is available with the green tint variation is card #110 and the last one is card #196. Am I correct with
reading it that way.The reason I ask is that I have a few cards below #110 and also couple above #196 that
look like they have the green tint as well.Likely just my eyes not seeing thing properly. Thanks a lot to all that
have taken the time to respond.

G1911 09-14-2022 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro69 (Post 2263657)
Thank you very much. The link helped a lot. But after I look at the link it sort of looks to me that the first card
that is available with the green tint variation is card #110 and the last one is card #196. Am I correct with
reading it that way.The reason I ask is that I have a few cards below #110 and also couple above #196 that
look like they have the green tint as well.Likely just my eyes not seeing thing properly. Thanks a lot to all that
have taken the time to respond.

Yes, only 110-196, the second series, were printed this way. Some cards in other series have a greenish sky, but their images are not the ‘washed out’ aesthetic and they were never altered by Topps for an improved printing. There is only a variation in this one series.

The Ruth’s and Al Kaline are off the top of my head the most expensive cards in the series, so there’s no big cards you’d need to get 2 of to build it. It’s a fairly cheap and interesting project if you go for it.

camaro69 09-14-2022 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2263664)
Yes, only 110-196, the second series, were printed this way. Some cards in other series have a greenish sky, but their images are not the ‘washed out’ aesthetic and they were never altered by Topps for an improved printing. There is only a variation in this one series.

The Ruth’s and Al Kaline are off the top of my head the most expensive cards in the series, so there’s no big cards you’d need to get 2 of to build it. It’s a fairly cheap and interesting project if you go for it.

Thank you very much. I will not be doing the set. I only bought the baseball in hopes that I could trade it toward my vintage non sport needs.But I certainly appreciate the education on the set. Thanks again.