Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1960's Mets Shea Stadium Tickets - written by hand? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=301325)

philo98 05-03-2021 03:03 PM

1960's Mets Shea Stadium Tickets - written by hand?

Hello,
Ive come across some late 1960s Mets tickets for Shea stadium that are completed by hand, for example the section, seat and date of the game. Was this common? Can these tickets even be authenticated to the correct game if they were filled in by hand? Most seem to use a ball-point pen. thanks.

jp1216 05-03-2021 03:26 PM

I went to an early 90s KC Royals game with a ticket like that. Some sort of group discounted program. Not sure about the Mets.

doug.goodman 05-03-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philo98 (Post 2099149)
Can these tickets even be authenticated to the correct game if they were filled in by hand? Most seem to use a ball-point pen. thanks.

You know the answer to that question, and you also know that the opinion sellers would love for you to pay them.

May we see a picture?

Doug

Shoeless Moe 05-03-2021 04:29 PM

Just wait for one with the actual date on it.

Written in ones have very little appeal, and very little re-sale value.

1960's Mets tickets are some of the most plentiful tickets out there. Be patient and persistent and you'll see your game again soon enough.

philo98 05-03-2021 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2099160)
You know the answer to that question, and you also know that the opinion sellers would love for you to pay them.

May we see a picture?

Doug

Correct, I thought I would double check though since many of you are far more advanced than I am. Maybe there was something I was missing. I attached a photo, although I have a few others but this one gives an idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2099171)
Just wait for one with the actual date on it.

Written in ones have very little appeal, and very little re-sale value.

1960's Mets tickets are some of the most plentiful tickets out there. Be patient and persistent and you'll see your game again soon enough.

Thank you. Good advice. Was the first time I had seen hand-written tickets.

Shoeless Moe 05-03-2021 05:02 PM

....or buy it, if cheap enough, as a placeholder until you find one that's dated.

I don't think PSA would slab that, but who knows, they'd slab a Walmart receipt if it made them money.

Scott might now better, and may chime in.

whitehse 05-03-2021 05:52 PM

These are likely replacement tickets for lost tickets, perhaps from a season ticket holder.

When I worked for a MLB team they would issue replacement tickets to season ticket holders who lost their tickets. If the original tickets showed up which was usually someone who bought them off the street, the holder of the originals would be shown the door or encouraged to purchase another ticket as they had no rights to that seat for that game.

doug.goodman 05-04-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2099183)
... they'd slab a Walmart receipt if it made them money.

I love that quote.

And, I like that ticket, too. Good day for the Mets, with 2 wins vs the Expos.

I would be happy to find something like that in a scored program, and would prefer it to a printed ticket. But, I don't buy things for their resale value, so my tastes are different than some collectors.

Snapolit1 05-04-2021 01:15 PM

I recall going to games at Shea where the genius friend I was with discovered that if you didn't like your seat you could go to a window somewhere and exchange your ticket for an equally priced seat in another section. Pointless, but I remember one game where we moved like 3 times. Pretty sure they gave you something with handwriting on it as your replacement ticket.

bigfanNY 05-05-2021 08:16 PM

I went to a game at Shea in 1983 or 84. It had rained hard before game time and the section above was leaking down on our seats. Saturday day game so pretty packed, I asked Usher for some help, He asked us to be patient and he would get back to us before game started. A couple outs into first inning He comes back apologizes and sits us right behind home plate 4 rows up. And he had a pad that he filled our old and new seats on and handed them to us. Last time I had a handwritten ticket at shea. I will try and post..
Now Shea was a leaky old girl and a number of other patrons complained and were neither polite or patient with the usher. They sat with program over their heads as umbrella.
J

doug.goodman 05-06-2021 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a bunch of programs a few years ago that had belonged to a sportswriter, most of the Mets games had handwritten passes like this one :

bigfanNY 05-06-2021 02:54 PM

Nice Doug... The Star Ledger was the morning paper for north Jersey...back when folks read papers. And Ike was covered lots of Baseball as well as other sports. And he did a fine job of it. Whoever got his press passes got a treasure trove.. Yankees Dodgers Giants Mets, Giants Jets, Knicks Nets.. Cosmos..
They had a circulation over a million a day. So his Star Ledger credentials pulled some respect as did his reputation.

doug.goodman 05-06-2021 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All of the programs I got were very well scored, and included not only his pass, but also clipping from his stories of the game.

I think I have 2 dozen of his programs with passes, 19 Mets games, 4 Yankees games and (weirdly) 1 game with the Giants visiting Dodger Stadium.

DVCARDS 05-09-2021 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know one of the Mets tickets outlets did handwritten tickets. So I went thru my old scorecards. From 1976 to 1978 the A&S department store was an outlet. If I remember the procedure correctly you would give the person the date of the game you wanted to go to. They would call the Mets ticket office to find out what was available. Then they would write in what I decided on. It was a drawn out process if you wanted multiple games.

doug.goodman 05-09-2021 12:05 PM

Interesting, thanks for the picture.

tod41 05-22-2021 02:31 PM

This is a bank ticket. It is legitimate. In the late 1960s and early 1970s you could purchase Mets tickets from a Bank. In this case, Manufacturer's Hanover Trust. In other years, Chase Bank. The employees from the Bank would handwrite the information on the tickets and put in the date.

mikemb 05-22-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2099427)
I recall going to games at Shea where the genius friend I was with discovered that if you didn't like your seat you could go to a window somewhere and exchange your ticket for an equally priced seat in another section. Pointless, but I remember one game where we moved like 3 times. Pretty sure they gave you something with handwriting on it as your replacement ticket.

Correct. My cousin and I would do this until we got seats we liked.

Mike

toppcat 05-27-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVCARDS (Post 2101055)
I know one of the Mets tickets outlets did handwritten tickets. So I went thru my old scorecards. From 1976 to 1978 the A&S department store was an outlet. If I remember the procedure correctly you would give the person the date of the game you wanted to go to. They would call the Mets ticket office to find out what was available. Then they would write in what I decided on. It was a drawn out process if you wanted multiple games.

Yes, I remember this as well with A&S, back in the early 70's at least. Some were pre-printed and stored in little cubbyholes as well. I'd guess the farther out from the game you bought the ticket, the more likley it was pre-printed.