Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scanner (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=323017)

The Nasty Nati 08-03-2022 07:34 PM

Scanner

My Canon 5600F unfortunately no longer works with the software on my new Macbook.

Any suggestions on a new flatbed scanner great for scanning cards that works with Mac (macOS Monterey or newer)?

chadeast 08-03-2022 08:28 PM

Make sure it's a CCD scanner. The cheap ones are not, those are the scans you see with the cards out of focus (depth of field problem on cheap ones). You'll probably find a lot of recommendations for Epson V series if you search the forum. I have an Epson V600 connected to an iMac and it scans wonderfully, never had a problem. You can see some of the scans in the link in my sig if you'd like.

Snowman 08-03-2022 09:06 PM

Epson V600 here as well. MacBook Pro. Works great!

Rad_Hazard 08-03-2022 09:42 PM

Epson V300 with a Windows PC and it's been great for years.

Casey2296 08-03-2022 09:59 PM

Thank the baseball gods this wasn't another scammer thread. V600 works great for me.

EddieP 08-04-2022 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2248852)
Thank the baseball gods this wasn't another scammer thread. V600 works great for me.

Well, it depends. It is a scam on Apple’s part by making old peripherals obsolete on new software :(

SAllen2556 08-04-2022 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieP (Post 2248887)
Well, it depends. It is a scam on Apple’s part by making old peripherals obsolete on new software :(

Yep. I had a Canon scanner that I used for scanning 4 x 5 negatives that eventually became incompatible with my Mac. It was cheaper to buy an old Mac off ebay that was compatible to the Canon rather than buy a new scanner that could do 4 x 5 negatives.

bobbyw8469 08-04-2022 06:15 AM

I am following this as well. I have an Epson V30. It's old (by technology standards), but works great on PSA cards. For SGC cards it's a different story. It makes them all look dirty and trashy. With a ton of lint in the background, even with the "lint filter" turned on. Can anyone recommend a scanner that does great with both PSA and SGC?

Leon 08-04-2022 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a Canon 5600F. It works great.

bobbyw8469 08-04-2022 07:04 AM

Leon....not sure if you would know this or not, but is the bed also big enough for a CGC graded comic book?

Leon 08-04-2022 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2248908)
Leon....not sure if you would know this or not, but is the bed also big enough for a CGC graded comic book?

The bed is 12 x 8 so it might not be, I am not sure. I don't collect comics :).

D. Bergin 08-04-2022 09:32 AM

Epson V700 here.

If you like your Canon 5600F you might want to look into "Silverfast 8" scanner software and see if it can integrate with your Canon. Might cost a few bucks, but cheaper then buying a newer competent scanner.

A few years ago, my Epson scanner software stopped working for me after my Windows PC did an update. Couldn't get it to work for anything. Thought I'd have to trash my Epson, that I loved.

Found the Silverfast program and have been using it ever since. My Epson drivers eventually updated to the point I could use my Epson software again, over a year later or so, but I found the Silverfast software superior to it and never went back.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-04-2022 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2248908)

no, not big enough for a CGC slab :(

BobbyStrawberry 08-04-2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2248852)

+1 on the V600. Mac user here

Fuddjcal 08-04-2022 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2248895)
I am following this as well. I have an Epson V30. It's old (by technology standards), but works great on PSA cards. For SGC cards it's a different story. It makes them all look dirty and trashy. With a ton of lint in the background, even with the "lint filter" turned on. Can anyone recommend a scanner that does great with both PSA and SGC?

I bought a Epson V600 a few years ago and followed the tutorial from another board member. Very Happy with the results for all the cards encased and raw.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eum...gFVdzjffp/view

It is pretty big and was a little hard to find as they were out of stock at many retailers. I only use it for cards and keep it under my desk and only pull it out when I use it.

RL 08-04-2022 10:34 AM

I have a Mac and a epson V600

amazon has it priced at 269.99 for now

The Nasty Nati 08-06-2022 03:57 PM

Does anybody have a V700 with macOS Monterey software (or newer)? I just want to make sure I don't end up getting the V700 and it doesn't work with my current computer.

And maybe I'll try the Silverfast 6 with my current Canon 5600f.
Just a bummer, I love the 5600f but Apple's software update just no longer allows me to use it.

npa589 08-06-2022 04:03 PM

I had an Epson V30 (I think) previously, but it broke within 2 years. I've had a Canon 9000F Mark II for 4 or so years and it's awesome.

I still even have the original protective plastic on top, because I'm similar to Raymond's mom on Everybody Loves Raymond. I figure it will prevent dust from getting into the electrical!

Edited to add that I purchased the 9000F in 2018 for $169.99 before tax. :eek: Glad I bought in 2018!

The Nasty Nati 08-06-2022 04:19 PM

Can anybody confirm that their scanners work for MacOS Monterey?

Casey2296 08-06-2022 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati (Post 2249743)

Looks like Epson supports it.
https://epson.com/Support/wa00928

RL 08-07-2022 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati (Post 2249743)

I have a iMac with Monterey 12.5 and a epson V600, I can confirm it works

Leon 09-06-2022 09:18 AM

My new, cheap HP printer-scanner just isn't up for doing quality scans.
Does anyone know if the V600 works well with Windows 11? I am reading it has some issues of having to have the Win 11 drivers loaded each time you use it? Or is there a great scanner that works great with Win 11?
thanks in advance

raulus 09-06-2022 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2260988)
My new, cheap HP printer-scanner just isn't up for doing quality scans.
Does anyone know if the V600 works well with Windows 11? I am reading it has some issues of having to have the Win 11 drivers loaded each time you use it? Or is there a great scanner that works great with Win 11?
thanks in advance

Hi Leon:

Can't speak to the V600, although it does seem very popular amongst a lot of posters.

I bought this scanner about 6 months ago:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few observations:

No issues with windows 11.
It does a good job of scanning depth. So the backs of your graded items end up sharp and not fuzzy.
The scanning area is big, so you can fit really large items, including PSA jumbo holders.

About the only drawback is that it's massive. So if real estate is at a premium in your place, then this might not be a good fit. And while it's not cheap, it's certainly a lot less than some of the scanners out there that run $4k.

I've been scanning a lot of my items and uploading them to PSA, so if you want to check out the results, here is my master mays set album, which should give you a pretty good idea:

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...t/album/290520

Leon 09-06-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2260992)
Hi Leon:

Can't speak to the V600, although it does seem very popular amongst a lot of posters.

A few observations:

It does a good job of scanning depth. So the backs of your graded items end up sharp and not fuzzy.
The scanning area is big, so you can fit really large items, including PSA jumbo holders.

About the only drawback is that it's massive. So if real estate is at a premium in your place, then this might not be a good fit. And while it's not cheap, it's certainly a lot less than some of the scanners out there that run $4k.

I've been scanning a lot of my items and uploading them to PSA, so if you want to check out the results, here is my master mays set album, which should give you a pretty good idea:

Space isn't an issue but that one could be a bit of an overkill for me.

Ben Yourg 09-06-2022 09:39 AM

Scanner

Epson Perfection V370

Leon 09-06-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Yourg (Post 2260994)
Epson Perfection V370

Thanks. I am pretty sure the V600 replaced this one, or at least, this one is 4 yrs old. I am probably going to just get a V600 and deal with any Win11 issues that might come up.

Thanks!

edited to add it looks like all of the Epson scanners, with this medium-type specs, have been around a few years or more....we'll see.

Robextend 09-06-2022 10:41 AM

+1 for EPSON V600

bammerbb 09-06-2022 10:44 AM

Hi Leon,

I have an Epson Perfection V600 scanner and I would not give it up for all the money in the world. I went to their website and I'm getting mixed messages about compatibility with Win 11. I would strongly suggest calling Epson (they have a 1-800 number and talk to a live tech about it. You might be surprised.

Brian

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-06-2022 10:46 AM

D. Bergin 09-06-2022 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2261008)
Thanks. I am pretty sure the V600 replaced this one, or at least, this one is 4 yrs old. I am probably going to just get a V600 and deal with any Win11 issues that might come up.

Thanks!

edited to add it looks like all of the Epson scanners, with this medium-type specs, have been around a few years or more....we'll see.

If you spring for the Epson and it doesn't work with your Windows version, just get the Silverfast software I mentioned above. I think it's better then the Epson software that comes in the box anyways.

D. Bergin 09-06-2022 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2260992)
Hi Leon:

A few observations:

That's a very interesting scanner, and a pretty awesome collection. :eek:

I may have to keep it in mind should my V700 ever crap the bed. I've always wanted a scanner bed that big, but they were always cost prohibitive at anything above a standard 81/2" x 11" or so. While that's not cheap, it's way cheaper then when I was looking at large format scanners several years ago.

raulus 09-06-2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2261024)
That's a very interesting scanner, and a pretty awesome collection. :eek:

I may have to keep it in mind should my V700 ever crap the bed. I've always wanted a scanner bed that big, but they were always cost prohibitive at anything above a standard 81/2" x 11" or so. While that's not cheap, it's way cheaper then when I was looking at large format scanners several years ago.

Thanks. The biggest issue for me was definitely being able to scan larger format items. That and items with any depth always ended up fuzzy on my combo printer/scanner.

Leon 09-08-2022 07:53 AM

Generally speaking, "everyone" isn't wrong. I put a V600 on order a few days ago...thanks for the suggestions!

Leon 09-14-2022 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
V600. Good suggestion. Seems to work very well....

Wanaselja 12-08-2022 07:34 PM

Quick question - I just grabbed a V600 and plan to scan and then post my T206 HOF portraits. Admittedly I haven’t tinkered around too much but was wondering how members get a black background to show through their PSA slabs so the contrast between PSA and SGC isn’t so stark. Is it a setting or simply using black paper? Thanks in advance.

Casey2296 12-08-2022 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanaselja (Post 2291739)
Quick question - I just grabbed a V600 and plan to scan and then post my T206 HOF portraits. Admittedly I haven’t tinkered around too much but was wondering how members get a black background to show through their PSA slabs so the contrast between PSA and SGC isn’t so stark. Is it a setting or simply using black paper? Thanks in advance.

I just removed the cover of a black vinyl spiral note book and use that, durable and covers the whole scanner bed.

Wanaselja 12-08-2022 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2291745)
I just removed the cover of a black vinyl spiral note book and use that, durable and covers the whole scanner bed.

Excellent. Thank you Phil!

raulus 12-08-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanaselja (Post 2291739)

Another option is just to leave the lid open. As long as you don’t have a lot of light flooding the room, the background on my scanner comes though as black that way. With my scanner, I seem to get even better results than when I use a background. You’d have to try it out to see whether it works with yours too.

Wanaselja 12-08-2022 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2291751)
Another option is just to leave the lid open. As long as you don’t have a lot of light flooding the room, the background on my scanner comes though as black that way. With my scanner, I seem to get even better results than when I use a background. You’d have to try it out to see whether it works with yours too.

This worked. Thank you.

thecatspajamas 12-16-2022 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati (Post 2248823)
My Canon 5600F unfortunately no longer works with the software on my new Macbook.

If you're happy with your old scanner, rather than buying a new one, check out Vuescan scanning software. Their main hook is that they maintain and update drivers for darn near every piece of scanning hardware and enable them to work with current OS's, both for Windows and macOS (and Linux).

And it's got a LOT more settings that you can adjust and tweak to get the most out of your hardware than any out-of-the box scanning software I've seen bundled with any scanner. I've gone through several versions of Windows, and several models of scanners, and still going strong. The only time I've had to discard a scanner was when I literally wore it out.

Currently have running a Canon CannoScan 9000 as my go-to for photos, comics, and anything with depth to it, but am also set up with a Nikon SuperCoolscan 5000 for 35mm film, an Epson V700 for larger film, and a Mustek A3 for larger-than-8.5x11 flat items (doesn't do depth well though), and able to switch seamlessly between scanners and media type by saved settings within the software.

If you're concerned one of the highly-recommended scanner models won't work with your computer, or your OS has updated and no longer supports your old tech, it's worth checking out. They have a trial version that puts a watermark in the scan but should allow you to test your setup, and if you do buy it, it's a lifetime license that is reusable as you move on to other computers and/or scanners.

JustinD 12-17-2022 05:45 PM

On the same topic, do any of these recommendations have Bluetooth capabilities?

I know it’s petty but I prefer to move to completely cordless like my printer for any accessories. They just are a pain in the a**.

Lucas00 12-17-2022 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2295208)
On the same topic, do any of these recommendations have Bluetooth capabilities?

I know it’s petty but I prefer to move to completely cordless like my printer for any accessories. They just are a pain in the a**.

+1

Looking for a high quality scanner that can send the scans to my phone via WiFi/bluetooth. Not interested in fiddling with a PC or Mac when I only ever use my phone anyway.

Don't think this exists for some reason?

Lucas00 12-24-2022 01:06 AM

If I could ask a small favor testing something for me that would be amazing.

Any folks who use a scanner with WiFi capabilities and have an Android phone could you please download the app "Mopria Scan" and test to see if you're able to scan an item and it sends to your phone?

Would be seriously appreciated.

insidethewrapper 12-27-2022 08:02 PM

None of my scanners work with my new desktop computer with windows 11. When I buy a new scanner will the outside box state if compatible with Windows 11 ? I'm a computer nerd. Don't know anything about other software programs like Silverfast etc. Please I need help. thanks

Tabe 12-28-2022 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 2298279)
None of my scanners work with my new desktop computer with windows 11. When I buy a new scanner will the outside box state if compatible with Windows 11 ? I'm a computer nerd. Don't know anything about other software programs like Silverfast etc. Please I need help. thanks

What scanners do you have? What version of Windows did you have before? It's pretty unusual for recent hardware to not work with Windows 11.

insidethewrapper 12-28-2022 08:30 AM

Scanners were : CanoScan 8800F and Epson FastFoto FF640. The computer I think I had was Windows Vista ( ??) , not sure. Had it for a few years and worked great until Windows 11.

jp1216 04-12-2024 10:39 AM

It's 2024. Replace my old PC with a newer one with Windows 11.
Everything works except my old Canon 5600F scanner. New drivers not supported etc. Without buying a new scanner - anyone have ideas? Secret drivers/software? Vuescan? My editing software works but my scanner isn't recognized.
Ideas? Suggestions?

Leon 04-12-2024 10:45 AM

Same issue here a year or two ago....had a 5600F and went to Windows 11 (and a new pc)...I never got it to work right.

my suggestion is a new Epson V600 photo....worth every penny...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp1216 (Post 2426283)
It's 2024. Replace my old PC with a newer one with Windows 11.
Everything works except my old Canon 5600F scanner. New drivers not supported etc. Without buying a new scanner - anyone have ideas? Secret drivers/software? Vuescan? My editing software works but my scanner isn't recognized.
Ideas? Suggestions?

thecatspajamas 04-12-2024 11:01 AM

VueScan software is your best bet to keeping your old scanner hardware working with your new OS upgrades. Also provides a uniform interface when working with different scanners without being dependent on whatever the manufacturer included in the box. Well worth the low buy-in for the software.

jp1216 04-12-2024 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 2426289)
VueScan software is your best bet to keeping your old scanner hardware working with your new OS upgrades. Also provides a uniform interface when working with different scanners without being dependent on whatever the manufacturer included in the box. Well worth the low buy-in for the software.

$330 for the V600. I'm leaning towards trying VueScan. I like my 5600F....
I may try it out.

That took 5 minutes. VueScan trial software woke up my dead 5600F and works. $25 option may be worth it - for me.