Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T207 George "Buck" Weaver (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325769)

jimmyfoxx 10-03-2022 01:31 PM

T207 George "Buck" Weaver

1 Attachment(s)
I recently had a pair of T207 George Weaver cards graded by PSA. I noticed when I got them back that there is a distinct color difference between them (the PSA 2.5 is a Broadleaf back, and the PSA 3 is a Red Cycle back). Does anyone know of it is common that the Cycle backs to have a deeper color differential? Looking at them side-by-side, the PSA 3 Cycle is much darker and the details are much more prevalent. Is this common?

jingram058 10-03-2022 02:01 PM

I have all kinds of cards. T cards, OJ's, pre-war, Topps, Bowman. I find differences, frankly, in all of them. Blurry, crystal clear, washed out color, vibrant color, different colored backs. Some of it is how they survived, sunlight, darkness, basement, attic, box, binder. Some of it is just how these cheaply made pieces of cardboard came from whatever factory or printing press. Some of it is documented, some of it just is what it is, irrespective of the anal retentive, OCD, know it all's. I get torched by a flame thrower every time these things come up in these threads and I point out the reality that is hard, sometimes impossible, to scientifically analyze and then state facts about things that were either given away or so cheap that they were virtually meant to be thrown away. It will probably happen again now for the umpteenth time. Oh well, don't care. As was said in "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade", "Dr. Jones, it's time to ask yourself what you believe."

jimmyfoxx 10-03-2022 02:07 PM

I was just asking if this was a common occurrence with the Cycle backs. I understand that these cards will look different because they all have been stored differently.

riggs336 10-03-2022 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyfoxx (Post 2269688)
I recently had a pair of T207 George Weaver cards graded by PSA. I noticed when I got them back that there is a distinct color difference between them (the PSA 2.5 is a Broadleaf back, and the PSA 3 is a Red Cycle back). Does anyone know of it is common that the Cycle backs to have a deeper color differential? Looking at them side-by-side, the PSA 3 Cycle is much darker and the details are much more prevalent. Is this common?

My Broadleaf.

jimmyfoxx 10-03-2022 02:28 PM

OK, so your Broadleaf has the same registration as my Cycle. Can any of the T207 experts out there tell me just how much tougher the Cycle back is than the Broadleaf?

Leon 10-03-2022 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyfoxx (Post 2269717)
OK, so your Broadleaf has the same registration as my Cycle. Can any of the T207 experts out there tell me just how much tougher the Cycle back is than the Broadleaf?

Here is a rabbit hole that can eat up some time. :)

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1531764

Bridwell 10-03-2022 04:37 PM

T207 Cycle

I'd say the Weaver Cycle back is much more scarce than the Weaver Broadleaf back. Having seen many T207's, I also would say that the Cycle backs tend to have glossier fronts than many of the Broadleafs of the same player. Maybe a little extra gloss was added to the fronts of the Cycles and they held their color a little better. This is just a general observation, nothing scientific. There are exceptions to every trend, of course.

Yoda 10-03-2022 07:45 PM

Not as rare as Buck with a Red Cross back.

ValKehl 10-03-2022 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
T207 Broadleaf (SGC) and Cycle (PSA) cards of George Mogridge:

babraham 10-03-2022 10:40 PM

Here's my Broadleaf Weaver:

https://i.ibb.co/99fyhmm/352823581.jpg

Bridwell 10-04-2022 08:42 PM

Weaver

Wow, PSA 7! That's a beauty!

t206fanatic 10-04-2022 09:01 PM

Nicest Weaver I've ever seen

babraham 10-04-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridwell (Post 2270186)
Wow, PSA 7! That's a beauty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206fanatic (Post 2270190)
Nicest Weaver I've ever seen

Thank you both!
It was my birthday "present" to myself last year. :)

jingram058 10-05-2022 07:14 AM

They both are quite nice. I would be happy with either one, but crisp and vibrant does have the all-important "eye appeal".

I would crack them both out. Attempting to get scientifically analytical with cheap (next thing up from disposable) cardboard is just amazing to me. That is why I am the spokesman for raw cards. Come back over to the light side, raw, ungraded cards, and truly enjoy collecting again.

frohme 10-06-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyfoxx (Post 2269717)

If I recall (which is a dangerous thing these days), from Tim N's survey/bible which is soon to be 20 yrs old... Broadleaf were ~2.5x more plentiful than Cycle. I no longer have the articles to refer to - having passed them on to a board member - so memory will have to do.

yanks87 10-25-2022 07:59 PM

Late to the party, anyone know how many anonymous back Buck Weaver’s might be floating around? Just picked up one today.

frohme 10-26-2022 12:11 AM

Fewer Anon Factory 25's than Anon Factory 3's by an unknown ratio, but from personal experience, the ratio of F3 to F25 is likely higher than one might expect.

Sadly, the numbers from grading companies are not split out in any useful form directly - much is grouped together, but making assumptions, you can get a smidge of an idea...

Only looking at pop reports, and if you assume (big assumption) the best ...

PSA has 44 graded Weavers across all backs

SGC has 56 graded

Broadleaf: 31
Cycle: 6
Anonymous (all factories): 19

If the SGC ratios hold with the PSA populations (another assumption), that gives 15 (of the 44) more Anons , so 34 graded across the two anon factories. Relative ratios from Tim N's survey were 2.67 (Anon F3 to F25),

So very very roughly for some small (inaccurate) fraction of the population about which one has made some rather gross assumptions, with rounding ;);) that's

25 Factory 3 and
9 Factory 25

Weavers ... with absolutely no idea how many more may show up next week, month, year, etc...

Do I believe any of that? Ask me tomorrow, I won't even remember having made this post :)

I will say that we need better - more accurate data to say anything for certain. I know I have seen more Anon 3's than Anon 25's.

--
Mike