Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How important is centering to you (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=318325)

Hordfest 04-17-2022 08:24 AM

How important is centering to you

Happy Easter friends!

Just had a question to help me understand you guys better as buyers. When you are shopping for vintage to add to your collection or resell, how important is centering to you?

Would you buy a lower grade card with nice centering and presentation, vs. a higher grade card with better corners and surface, but with worse centering?

Personally, bad centering kills a card to me...just bothers me so much on most cards

cgjackson222 04-17-2022 08:28 AM

For me, by far the most important aspect of a card is the surface. I care more about the image on the card than anything else. I avoid cars with significant "snow" or and print issues on the face of player, and seek out cards with strong color and registration/focus.

Next important is centering. I find that if a card is centered well from left to right, that it is more important than top to bottom. I think this is because some cards (think '54 Topps) don't even have a top border, so it doesn't seem unnatural to me to have a small top (or even bottom) border.

Next important is corners, and last is edges.

Carter08 04-17-2022 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgjackson222 (Post 2216080)
For me, by far the most important aspect of a card is the surface. I care more about the image on the card than anything else. I avoid cars with significant "snow" or and print issues on the face of player, and seek out cards with strong color and registration/focus.

Next important is centering. I find that if a card is centered well from left to right, that it is more important than top to bottom. I think this is because some cards (think '54 Topps) don't even have a top border, so it doesn't seem unnatural to me to have a small top (or even bottom) border.

Next important is corners, and last is edges.

This sums it up for me too. I’d rather have a slightly lower grade with strong centering and registration versus a higher grade that is not as strong on those fronts. A big distracting crease is a problem though - would rather have iffy centering if necessary to avoid that.

Casey2296 04-17-2022 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have centering OCD so that along with registration and color are the most important factors to me. Add those three together and you get "eye appeal", like this.
_

MattyC 04-17-2022 09:03 AM

Centering and image quality must be there for me to buy a card. Corners are a factor that ideally brings down the price for me. I’ll pay a hefty premium for centering/image on a card that is rarely centered, but hate paying for corners lol.

butchie_t 04-17-2022 09:17 AM

As close as I can get to centered the better. And that depends on the set too. Some sets, you are just going to get close, and close is better than falling off one edge of a card. That is where I will pass on a card or replace it if it is in my sets. Needless to say, all of them have been replaced.

Diamond cuts are a pass too or a filler until I find a better specimen as well.

Cheers,

B. T.

rugbymarine 04-17-2022 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2216093)
I have centering OCD so that along with registration and color are the most important factors to me. Add those three together and you get "eye appeal".

This is the way.

ClementeFanOh 04-17-2022 09:25 AM

centering

Centering is vital when I consider buying a card- Trent King

DPARK 04-17-2022 09:29 AM

It is the first thing that jumps out to me. Next would be surface, then corners

darwinbulldog 04-17-2022 09:37 AM

Very little in terms of my appreciation of the card, but I'm aware of what effect centering has for other collectors so I factor it into what I'm willing to bid.

My understanding is that the aesthetic preference for symmetry in objects is probably just a side effect of evolved adaptations for preferring mates with more symmetrical faces, and I'm happy not to be beholden to that side effect when I can save some money on a card I want to keep in my long-term personal collection.

benge610 04-17-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

I have centering OCD so that along with registration and color are the most important factors to me. Add those three together and you get "eye appeal".

Phil and Ian, speak for me as well.

This is the way; I can open up my Zion cases with a smile, as I flip through each row of nice looking old cards.
I am a Pre-War bottom feeder (Raw, 1's, 2's, etc,) but it does count; even at these low depths.

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Orioles1954 04-17-2022 09:48 AM

Centering is a factory flaw and as such is not a very big factor. Hell, some T206 people will give massive premiums for oc cards. Handling AFTER a card leaves the factory means much more. Creasing is a major factor for me and paper loss, residue, pin holes or writing is a deal breaker. So bring me your 90/10 and gum stained stars!

Leon 04-17-2022 09:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Personally, I generally buy on eye appeal and one of the biggest components, if not the biggest for me, is centering. I will take a small flaw or two, but centering is what my eyes focus on. And of course with many cards I/we collect we have to take what we can find (hence the beater thread).

I really like cards with somewhat of a wow factor, so to speak...
They have to be paid up for but I don't think I have ever regretted it.

MattyC 04-17-2022 10:04 AM

To me, bad centering or poor focus is a defect in the card at birth in the factory. I want the card as it was intended by design: centered and focused. In contrast, in terms of corners, the card was intended to be handled by young people; hence some corner wear has always felt totally acceptable to me.

3-2-count 04-17-2022 10:19 AM

As others have already stated superior color and registration is key when I'm looking for a card.

In regards to centering, its very important to me as well. Although I have a little bit of tolerance when it comes to top to bottom centering, side to side centering must be close to near perfect.

Eric72 04-17-2022 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I judge a card on five broad categories. The following is my order of preference:

Print Quality - (Registration/focus/color, etc.)
Surface - (how clean and free from damage are the surfaces)
Centering
Edges
Corners

Notable is the fact that extreme examples of extremely poor centering or print quality appeal to me, too. I enjoy seeing two (or more) images on the same card.

edjs 04-17-2022 10:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Depends on the series. If it’s a series that is near impossible to find a card of, or if it’s “that” player, I am willing to overlook things that I would not overlook in a more prevalent card or series. Here’s an example of a card I’m just happy to have one, regardless of it’s flaws:

brianp-beme 04-17-2022 10:53 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Come join me over on the dark side. Some may call them off-center, while others might call them miscut. I just call them cards.

WARNING! Do not look at the below cards if you know it will spoil your day.

Brian

benge610 04-17-2022 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2216141)
Come join me over on the dark side. Some may call them off-center, while others might call them miscut. I just call them cards.

Brian

I got a little, "dark side" in me as well.
Sometimes, it's just for the special personality of the thang!
Ben

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=33194

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=33193

Snowman 04-17-2022 11:11 AM

For me, it's:

centering >>> surface/registration > edges > corners

puckpaul 04-17-2022 11:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I like centered cards, but how much it matters really depends on all other attributes of a card, particularly its beauty and registration. I find lots of eye appeal in some cards that aren’t perfectly centered. Creases however always disturb me, and i prefer off-center with great registration to creased, weathered and well-centered. Here are a few cards which i cherish despite the fact that they arent centered better (every thread needs some cards!):

frankbmd 04-17-2022 11:18 AM

My opinion will not be revealed here. Who cares?

Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. If centering was all that mattered, we would not need TPGs so I guess that's a good thing.

Snowman 04-17-2022 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2216151)
My opinion will not be revealed here. Who cares?

Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. If centering was all that mattered, we would not need TPGs so I guess that's a good thing.

Perhaps interestingly, the market has clearly determined that the TPGs don't accurately value centering when assigning grades, assuming grades *should* correlate to sale prices.

A somewhat well-centered 51 Mantle in a PSA 4 sold for $48k last night on PWCC. Off-centered copies go for around $20k right now.

MattyC 04-17-2022 11:41 AM

I was watching that one as well. However the various factors we've all noted in this thread come together to create eye appeal, if that eye appeal is there relative to examples in the same and higher grades, the buyers/collectors will certainly bid accordingly these days. In this respect, despite a lot of the... let's just say potentially annoying aspects of the hobby these days, it seems that the concept of "buying the card, not the holder" is as strong or stronger than it has ever been.

conor912 04-17-2022 11:44 AM

It’s important, but not everything. For me, I care much more about L to R than I do T to B.

mrreality68 04-17-2022 11:49 AM

For me it is a combination of things.

First is availability. I like cards that are a little more rare and I cannot control when the card becomes available and as a result I then need to decide if the card available is something I want/need/ cannot wait for the next one.
Second is eye appeal specifically the front is the priority over the back
Third is center and how it’s borders look
Fourth is what I can afford for what I am trying to purchase

MattyC 04-17-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckpaul (Post 2216146)
I like centered cards, but how much it matters really depends on all other attributes of a card, particularly its beauty and registration. I find lots of eye appeal in some cards that aren’t perfectly centered. Creases however always disturb me, and i prefer off-center with great registration to creased, weathered and well-centered. Here are a few cards which i cherish despite the fact that they arent centered better (every thread needs some cards!):

As a centering guy I would still love that CJ Joe— the image is so crisp and the color so bold, it just "pops" and I don't even notice the centering.

Leon, beefy borders on that red Cy. And always been a fan of that Ted Williams; if not mistaken you landed that on the BST board? Exceptional and rare centering for that card.

brianp-beme 04-17-2022 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For PreWW2 cards, centering is not much of a consideration. When being picky, good registration and great color are the two qualities that are at the top of my list, and I definitely dislike any surface damage/creasing etc. to the player's face. These E90-1 cards are good examples of what would certainly pass my physical exam, centered or not.

Brian

conor912 04-17-2022 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2216170)
For PreWW2 cards, centering is not much of a consideration. When being picky, good registration and great color are the two qualities that are at the top of my list, and I definitely dislike any surface damage/creasing etc. to the player's face. These E90-1 cards are good examples of what would certainly pass my physical exam, centered or not.

Brian

+1

Depends on the era.

JollyElm 04-17-2022 02:42 PM

564. Centerrifical Force
The way your eyes immediately tell you if a card is rightfully centered enough for you personally, independent of what other collectors or TPGs may think.

Seemingly 90% of the graded cards (post-war) I buy have OC qualifiers, but the vast majority of those are ones than no 'normal' collector would've called off-centered in the days before TPGs ruined (:rolleyes:) everything. If a card looks decently centered enough to my eye, and I can get it at a low price, I jump.
(All of this is thrown out the window with the 1972 Topps set, though, because I hope to assemble a nice one as close to perfectly centered as possible.)

bnorth 04-17-2022 03:19 PM

Quote:

Brian

Those are WAY better than centered cards. Centering is by far the least important to me, unless I am selling it.:)

pcoz 04-17-2022 03:39 PM

I need a solid image and registration for Prewar. Centering would come next. Some staining and creasing can give a Prewar card some character in my opinion. For Postwar, centering definitely comes first. Many Prewar are rare in general, but Postwar with perfect centering are rare too, which I’d need in buying a high priced Postwar card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucas00 04-17-2022 04:01 PM

Centering in my PC is pretty important to me. Just because I like them to look the best they can for my favorite players.

But on set builds I love having lots of different cuts and variation. It's more fun to look at to me. I like the natural look of how cards would've come out of a pack for one kid vs another back in the day.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 04-17-2022 04:06 PM

It's everything for me

DeanH3 04-17-2022 04:47 PM

Quote:

100% agree with this.

Dandor 04-17-2022 05:07 PM

It depend on the card for me. 50's to 70's I Chase centering. The print quality is typically decent for those years and the cards are more numerous than people realize. What separates the cards in collectability and makes them special is often times centering. Finding a perfectly centered 1979 Ozzie Smith sets it apart from the high volume of off centered cards. Prior to 1950 I really go after print quality and color over centering.

JustinD 04-17-2022 05:28 PM

The single most important aspect of the card to me.

I won’t even open an auction with a an OC qualifier in the description and in well over several hundred thousand cards I don’t believe I own a single graded card with a OC qualifier.

Here’s the odd part, I am an error collector though, so if a very significant amount of the card next to the subject is showing I will pay a premium. It makes no sense and I am very comfortable with that.

sreader3 04-17-2022 06:00 PM

Centering is important to me mainly because it has recently become important to other collectors. It didn't used to be that important.

We kids who grew up with '70s and '80s Topps realized that when you busted a pack you would get a certain fraction of cards that were off-centered or even miscut. No big deal. The off-centered cards were just as valuable as the 50-50 ones.

Fast forward. Centering has become a huge issue.

joejo20 04-17-2022 06:38 PM

I like side to side centering to be as good as possible but it depends on how tough the card is to find. The rarer the item is on my want list the more tolerable I am but still with the hopes of upgrading later.

Here are some of my best centered examples

https://photos.imageevent.com/joejo2...ize/img898.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/joejo2...ize/img665.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/joejo2...ize/img664.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/joejo2...ize/img699.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/joejo2...ize/img701.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/joejo2...1231%20_2_.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/joejo2...ize/img896.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/joejo2...ize/img677.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/joejo2...ize/img724.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve B 04-17-2022 06:50 PM

I don't really worry much about condition on its own, especially centering.

To me it's the overall look, combined with the price.
A worn card I like priced at a worn card price (Or less if I'm lucky) is fine. A worn card at a premium price? not for me.

MikeGarcia 04-17-2022 07:26 PM

I like the cut of your jib.....

[QUOTE=J

Here’s the odd part, I am an error collector though, so if a very significant amount of the card next to the subject is showing I will pay a premium. It makes no sense and I am very comfortable with that.[/QUOTE]

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...2NIPPY_NEW.JPG

....we need to talk .......

G1911 04-17-2022 09:26 PM

I pay more for a card with terrible centering.

glchen 04-17-2022 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in the opposite camp as centering isn't that important to me as long as the card isn't horribly miscut. I prefer the card to look more "pack fresh" than centered, and I always hope to pick up good deals where some collectors reject the card because it's too off-centered for them. Here are a couple of examples.

mrreality68 04-18-2022 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 2216305)
I'm in the opposite camp as centering isn't that important to me as long as the card isn't horribly miscut. I prefer the card to look more "pack fresh" than centered, and I always hope to pick up good deals where some collectors reject the card because it's too off-centered for them. Here are a couple of examples.

nice looking Eastern Exhibit Ruth. Great Card

Hordfest 04-18-2022 05:55 AM

A quickly emerging theme here seems to be that centering is a priority if the goal is resale.

If your goal is collecting then off center can be a good opportunity to score a deal on a better card.

Leon 04-18-2022 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hordfest (Post 2216336)
A quickly emerging theme here seems to be that centering is a priority if the goal is resale.

If your goal is collecting then off center can be a good opportunity to score a deal on a better card.

From what I see above it could be opposite. I am pretty sure no cards in this thread are for sale. I am way more tolerant in buying cards, less than perfectly centered, for resale....because of the responses above ..

BCauley 04-18-2022 08:11 AM

For me, centering is the one trait of a card that I get hung up on for whatever reason. With that said, I know some sets just seem to have a knack for not being centered so I just try and get the best looking one I can get.

LEHR 04-18-2022 08:23 AM

Centering is the number one most important factor when I buy cards. This is part of the reason why I've never been much of a set collector as it's painstakingly tough to pull together 300+ cards with 55/45 or better centering for a vintage set.

frankbmd 04-18-2022 08:26 AM

I'm quite sure at this point that the forum's opinion on centering is a key factor for the "card doctors'" financial success in cahoots with the TPGs.

Crack, snip, snip and resubmit.

Footnote: I believe this is the first time I have ever used or seen '" used consecutively in the same sentence

yanks87 04-18-2022 08:35 AM

Quote:

Brian

+1 must be a Brian thing....