Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Crappy hitters! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=302664)

Frank A 05-28-2021 06:46 AM

Crappy hitters!

How can there be so many crappy hitters in the Majors today. You got guys hitting 160, 170, 180, Playing as starters every day. You mean to tell me that there are no better hitters in the minors. Most of these guys swing at pitches so far out of the strike zone that I can't believe it. Do they all need glasses or better training? It's sad to watch.

jiw98 05-28-2021 11:26 AM

Frank, you shouldn't be picking on the Tiger's line up like that! :D

Yes I am a Tiger fan. This is really tough to watch.

cardsagain74 05-28-2021 01:23 PM

So far in 2021, the majors are on a pace for lowest league batting avg for a year in the game's history (.236) and most strikeouts per game in history.

Granted run production is far from at its worst (since hitters walk and hit homers more often), but still. Not pretty.

Seven 05-28-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank A (Post 2107666)
How can there be so many crappy hitters in the Majors today. You got guys hitting 160, 170, 180, Playing as starters every day. You mean to tell me that there are no better hitters in the minors. Most of these guys swing at pitches so far out of the strike zone that I can't believe it. Do they all need glasses or better training? It's sad to watch.

the Game has become hyper specialized, resulting in a terrible offensive product. 98,99 MPH fastballs with devastating breaking pitches are now the norm. Most guys are putting everything into every pitch because most guys, nowadays, aren't going the distance. Pitchers are throwing harder and not working as deep into games which means hitters have less of a chance to pick up and get used to a guy.

3 true outcomes has taken over the game as well. Homeruns, strikeout and walks are the only things that matter. Slap hitters don't exist anymore, they've been deemed obsolete. I hate the onfield product, it's borderline unbearable and games are longer because of it. And more expensive to boot! Can't take a family to an afternoon game nowadays unless you have hundreds of dollars to spend!

todeen 05-28-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2107830)
And more expensive to boot! Can't take a family to an afternoon game nowadays unless you have hundreds of dollars to spend!

Yet MLB thought rural America would be okay giving up their MiLB teams and still be interested in their MLB product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

the 'stache 05-29-2021 03:23 AM

My bad. I thought this was a thread devoted to the 2021 Milwaukee Brewers. :mad:

My team, the team I have followed passionately since 1978, 50 games into the 2021 season, nearly 1/3 of the season played, is batting .209. The team's collective OPS+ is 80, meaning their .649 OPS is 20% below National League average.

To put this in perspective: the Brewers were born in 1970, after moving from Seattle, where the Pilots were an expansion team in 1969.

This is the 53rd season of Milwaukee Brewer baseball. The Brewers have historically had some real powerhouse offenses, and haven't been able to develop starting pitchers worth a damn. Now, we have two of the best starting pitchers in baseball in Brandon Woodruff and Corbin Burnes, and can't hit worth a lick.

That .649 OPS is the third worst in team history.

2021 .649 OPS, NL average .701 (-0.52) 80 OPS+
1971 .633 OPS, AL average .681 (-0.48) 81 OPS+
1972 .629 OPS, AL average .649 (-0.20) 90 OPS+

Relative to league average, however, this is the worst offense in the 53 year history of the Milwaukee Brewers.

But I remain hopeful!

SD 05-31-2021 02:09 PM

Emphasis on Slugging % + pitcher's doctoring baseballs = dismal BA.

Spin Rate science has turned decent pitcher's to unhittable pitcher's. Rosin and sunscreen (technically illegal but accepted) make an almost super glue tackiness. I'd bet 99% of pitcher's in mlb are using something besides rosin to increase grip which increase spin Rate.
Players are vocal about it, but MLB has basically said 2021 will be an investigative season. Use the doctoring as bargaining chips with the players union. Just like the DH