Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   'All-Star Cafe' Wagner in REA Auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165975)

Boccabella 03-25-2013 04:30 PM

'All-Star Cafe' Wagner in REA Auction

The card once owned by Charlie Sheen, then stolen and recovered...and last sold in 2009 is coming back up for sale. It's among the items in the upcoming REA Auction. Here's a preview.

Jlighter 03-25-2013 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the article.

Looks like someone is selling their uncut Garter Strip.;)

Paul S 03-25-2013 05:02 PM

Looks like they are.

gnaz01 03-25-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1108137)
Looks like they are.

:D

wonkaticket 03-25-2013 05:38 PM

I feel for Bruce that must have been hard to let go, what an amazing item! :eek:

I wish him the best with the sale. I saw the item in person as I was dropping off some items to REA....it's a really a breathtaking piece.

Cheers,

John

sbfinley 03-25-2013 05:47 PM

I can't believe he is selling the Garter Strip. Any estimates on a possible hammer price? It is one of a kind isn't it?

milkit1 03-25-2013 06:45 PM

I wonder if he's going to try to sue the consignor :p I REALLY hope its Archive :)

Paul S 03-25-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkit1 (Post 1108222)
I wonder if he's going to try to sue the consignor :p I REALLY hope its Archive :)

Like he'll sue his hedge fund manager :)

ullmandds 03-25-2013 07:25 PM

Bruces bg strip trumps a wagner with a sortid past.

atx840 03-25-2013 09:46 PM

What a cool strip....beautiful image, amazing condition and uncut. Crazy.

+1 on this being the star over the Wagner.

Here is Bruce reminiscing about some if his favorite items. Some top shelf stuff.

video

murcerfan 03-25-2013 09:59 PM

amazing piece.

Paul S 03-25-2013 10:03 PM

+ 2 on the strip over Wags.

Re video: I'd never seen him before. Different than what I imagined, as compared to many of his forum posts and demeanor.

boneheadandrube 03-25-2013 10:09 PM

That strip can't be graded. I think the owner may have soured many potential buyer's who don't care about TPG into watching it flop just for the enjoyment of it. I understand the incredible rarity, but I don't think it's that cool looking. Guy's in garters changing...no.
GB

packs 03-25-2013 10:21 PM

Wait a second does he hold up the same Chicago Union Giants postcard that recently sold on eBay? There's a thread about it on the memorabilia side.

bn2cardz 03-26-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boneheadandrube (Post 1108305)
I understand the incredible rarity, but I don't think it's that cool looking. Guy's in garters changing...no.
GB

Not that I could afford them, but that is how I always thought of the Garters also. I love collecting baseball, but not so fond of collecting guys in their underwear.

z28jd 03-27-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1108384)
Not that I could afford them, but that is how I always thought of the Garters also. I love collecting baseball, but not so fond of collecting guys in their underwear.

The is definitely a "to each his own" item. The estimate says it could go for 100k+. If I was buying it to keep, I wouldn't pay $5 for it. Obviously for resale purposes I'd pay a lot more, but it would also be sold in the next upcoming auction. No desire whatsoever to have a cartoon drawing of baseball players in their skivvies, and could you imagine the reaction you would get when you showed this to non-collectors and tell them how much you paid?

I think there is a reason these things are rare. Who in their right mind would save them in the first place, especially back when they had zero resale value?

wonkaticket 03-27-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28jd (Post 1109027)
and could you imagine the reaction you would get when you showed this to non-collectors and tell them how much you paid?

Most likely no different than the look I get from any non-collector when I tell them how much I have paid for any of the items in my collection.

Leon 03-27-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28jd (Post 1109027)
The is definitely a "to each his own" item. The estimate says it could go for 100k+. If I was buying it to keep, I wouldn't pay $5 for it. Obviously for resale purposes I'd pay a lot more, but it would also be sold in the next upcoming auction. No desire whatsoever to have a cartoon drawing of baseball players in their skivvies, and could you imagine the reaction you would get when you showed this to non-collectors and tell them how much you paid?

I think there is a reason these things are rare. Who in their right mind would save them in the first place, especially back when they had zero resale value?

I would be one of the to each his own and would love to own it. If I had the money I would be a player and think the Boston Garter strip is one of the neatest things in the hobby. With my resources I will be a bench warmer on it. :(

z28jd 03-27-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 1109031)
Most likely no different than the look I get from any non-collector when I tell them how much I have paid for any of the items in my collection.

I guess if you have been putting underwear stickers on the holders you already have, then it would be the same look...otherwise, these BG's have an added bonus most regular cards don't have. The "you know these guys are in their underwear" look, followed by the awkward silence part of the night

z28jd 03-27-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1109035)
I would be one of the to each his own and would love to own it. If I had the money I would be a player and think the Boston Garter strip is one of the neatest things in the hobby. With my resources I will be a bench warmer on it. :(

I'm going to assume there are people out there who are in both groups, they have no desire to own pictures of guys getting dressed in the locker room 99.999% of the time, but since you add the extreme rarity part to it, this is that .001% exception. I don't think there are just two ways to look at it due to that rarity. I can appreciate rarity most times, just not in this case.

Paul S 03-27-2013 12:29 PM

Totally cool item -- if only I had money.

What?! Is somebody saying they wouldn't love to be in a pre All Star game locker room surrounded by all those great players? I know I would.

wonkaticket 03-27-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28jd (Post 1109036)
I guess if you have been putting underwear stickers on the holders you already have, then it would be the same look...otherwise, these BG's have an added bonus most regular cards don't have. The "you know these guys are in their underwear" look, followed by the awkward silence part of the night

Trust me the look will be no less awkward than the look any non-collector would give any of us when we show how much we pay for some of these things….under pants or not.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn...h-confused.jpg

John also I should note that when I show people my collection I’m usual in my underwear anyways…

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn...es/FatNerd.jpg

I have heard Leon also has adopted the extra relaxed look too around show and tell and at card shows.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn..._L0%20copy.jpg

wonkaticket 03-27-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1109039)

What?! Is somebody saying they wouldn't love to be in a pre All Star game locker room surrounded by all those great players? I know I would.

Exactly and if one of those guys offered to give you a full body oil message because you looked tense…that doesn’t make it weird. It’s just dudes hanging out talking baseball rubbing each other….lighten up relax….were all dudes here. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u2pu0m9iTo4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paul S 03-27-2013 12:37 PM

John,

Do you stockpile all the oddball images you always show while idly surfing the web, or do you just go find one online right then and there to suit the specific topic. :confused: ;)

wonkaticket 03-27-2013 12:43 PM

Paul, a little from column A and a little from column B.:)

Leon 03-27-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 1109046)
Paul, a little from column A and a little from column B.:)

John, I would never wear black socks with those underwear....

wonkaticket 03-27-2013 12:58 PM

Leon noted. :)

You know this thread got me thinking the hobby needs more exposure perhaps we should do a vintage card collector “beefcake” calendar you know something for the ladies like those fireman ones. :D

So who would you name as Mr. January and so on…..

z28jd 03-27-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1109039)

From personal experience, I cover baseball games for the website I write for and I try to stay out of the locker room as much as possible. Media credentials or not, I'd rather talked to dressed players. If that makes me strange, so be it :)

Leon 03-27-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 1109053)
Leon noted. :)

You know this thread got me thinking the hobby needs more exposure perhaps we should do a vintage card collector “beefcake” calendar you know something for the ladies like those fireman ones. :D

So who would you name as Mr. January and so on…..

Well John, I was August 2012 of the 707 calendar so a 2013 appearance would only seem fitting....don't know about the "beefcake" part of it though...

http://luckeycards.com/calendar.jpg

wonkaticket 03-27-2013 01:13 PM

Who’s the Lynyrd Skynyrd roadie with you Leon? (Kidding Levi if you’re reading.) :)

mrvster 03-27-2013 02:57 PM

this thread.....

IS GREAT! What a great read after a crumby day at the office:D

But , as you know the wagner is the card i'd want;)

conor912 03-27-2013 04:43 PM

is it just me, or does every REA auction have a wagner, a baltimore ruth and a joe jackson in it?

Sean 03-27-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1109188)
is it just me, or does every REA auction have a wagner, a baltimore ruth and a joe jackson in it?

It's true. That is why this Garter Strip is the most interesting item. :cool:

ngrow9 03-31-2013 07:30 AM

Does the REA auction catalog typically become available on the website around the same time that the printed catalogs go out, or will the website be up earlier?

e107collector 03-31-2013 09:22 AM

Rea

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngrow9 (Post 1110676)
Does the REA auction catalog typically become available on the website around the same time that the printed catalogs go out, or will the website be up earlier?

Generally from past auctions, the website is up first. If the catalogs are getting shipped out on April 20th, I would say the auction preview will be up a week earlier.

Tony

ngrow9 03-31-2013 11:13 AM

Great, thanks.