Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   57T Ted Williams - opinions wanted (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292659)

UKCardGuy 12-01-2020 07:07 AM

57T Ted Williams - opinions wanted

2 Attachment(s)
I acquired this 57T Ted Williams as part of a lot. I'm not chasing a 57T build so I'm planning to put it for sale in B/S/T.

Before I do, I'd like to be sure that I describe it accurately. So, please let me your thoughts on how you'd grade this card (EX? VG-EX?)?

Thanks,
Gary

rsdill2 12-01-2020 07:15 AM

I'd call it VG. In the end though, grading is subjective and your scan is good enough for a potential buyer to make their own judgement.

swarmee 12-01-2020 07:47 AM

VG is about right. EX should have no creases or major edge wear. Yours has multiple corner creases and the bottom edge has damage. Would be a VG+, but it has a green print defect on the jersey and the centering isn't that great (65/35 at bottom?).

aronbenabe 12-01-2020 08:55 AM

VG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hcv123 12-01-2020 09:45 AM

VG

Be sure to include those good scans - they speak volumes.

UKCardGuy 12-01-2020 10:07 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. VG it is.

Next is a more dangerous question - thoughts on a fair price?

EBay listings for ungraded 57T Williams in VG seem to range from $125 - $175.

ALR-bishop 12-01-2020 11:28 AM

If there is what appears to be a green smudge on his uniform you could add variation or error to the listing ( print defect sounds less interesting). Some collectors ( no one here that I know of) collect such variants .

mckinneyj 12-01-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2040615)
Thanks for the input everyone. VG it is.

Next is a more dangerous question - thoughts on a fair price?

EBay listings for ungraded 57T Williams in VG seem to range from $125 - $175.

To establish a price, you should carefully examine the ebay listings that purport to be VG and compare to yours as many sellers on ebay have a very optimistic grading scale. Your VG maybe their VG-EX or EX - or, to put it another way, their VG might really deserve a G technical grade (I agree that the technical grade of yours should be VG for the reasons that others have stated). You should not accept that anything advertised as VG is guaranteed to be VG. fwiw...

JollyElm 12-01-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneyj (Post 2040682)
To establish a price, you should carefully examine the ebay listings that purport to be VG and compare to yours as many sellers on ebay have a very optimistic grading scale. Your VG maybe their VG-EX or EX - or, to put it another way, their VG might really deserve a G technical grade (I agree that the technical grade of yours should be VG for the reasons that others have stated). You should not accept that anything advertised as VG is guaranteed to be VG. fwiw...

What Jim said.
Let me just add that you should look at SOLD ebay auction results (advanced search) to see what similar cards went for.
Good luck!

UKCardGuy 12-01-2020 02:58 PM

Thanks. I've had a look at the sold items in Ebay and compared similar quality cards to my own. I've just posted the card for sale in the B/S/T section. I think I've priced it fairly. Fingers crossed.

jingram058 12-04-2020 10:56 AM

57 Topps is a good looking set. Your Ted is about the same condition as mine, and I think yours is fairly priced.