Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OT: You Can't Make This Stuff Up...Richard Maris (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=148430)

thetruthisoutthere 03-04-2012 10:33 AM

OT: You Can't Make This Stuff Up...Richard Maris

3 Attachment(s)
You simply can't make this stuff. The auction speaks for itself. Presented to you by Ebay Seller starter0204.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Richard-Mari...6#ht_500wt_968

Attachment 58454

Attachment 58455

Attachment 58456

novakjr 03-04-2012 10:59 AM

Wtf???? Wow!!!

The seller does make a good point though. You can't find his stuff any "wear" else on ebay...

David W 03-04-2012 11:00 AM

Well, it is an awful tough sig......

novakjr 03-04-2012 11:02 AM

Also, why do people assume that Maris is a "Hall of Famer"... I see that mistake made quite often..Or are these sellers just preying on the uninformed..

Scott Garner 03-04-2012 11:18 AM

It's actually a little known fact that Roger's given name was Richard, but he had it legally changed along the way. ;):p

Given this fact, this ball is extremely scarce. Lock and load all!! :D

travrosty 03-04-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 972746)
Also, why do people assume that Maris is a "Hall of Famer"... I see that mistake made quite often..Or are these sellers just preying on the uninformed..

It's jsut one those things. A lot of people just assume it, like a lot of people think Rocket Ismail won the Heisman trophy.

ctownboy 03-04-2012 12:23 PM

novakjr.

Roger Maris DID change his name. His real last name was Maras but he changed it while playing here in Indianapolis. An attorney friend of mine tried to find the paperwork in the courthouse at least 20 (probably more) years ago but he couldn't.

He doesn't know if the employees put it someplace safe so that people like him who knew about it couldn't get to it and look at it (or try to steal it) or if somebody had already stolen it before he started looking.

Either way, there is legal paperwork somewhere that shows Maris changed his name.

David

novakjr 03-04-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctownboy (Post 972768)
novakjr.

Roger Maris DID change his name. His real last name was Maras but he changed it while playing here in Indianapolis. An attorney friend of mine tried to find the paperwork in the courthouse at least 20 (probably more) years ago but he couldn't.

He doesn't know if the employees put it someplace safe so that people like him who knew about it couldn't get to it and look at it (or try to steal it) or if somebody had already stolen it before he started looking.

Either way, there is legal paperwork somewhere that shows Maris changed his name.

David

Yes, I knew of the name change...He changed it in '55. His name was listed as "Maras" on the '53 Fargo Moorhead card..

ctownboy 03-04-2012 01:05 PM

novakjr,

Did he change it in Indianapolis or before? My friend, the attorney, said he changed it here in Indy. But, if he did it before he reached Indianapolis then that would explain about the lack of paperwork....

David

novakjr 03-04-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctownboy (Post 972784)
novakjr,

Did he change it in Indianapolis or before? My friend, the attorney, said he changed it here in Indy. But, if he did it before he reached Indianapolis then that would explain about the lack of paperwork....

David

As far as I know, he changed it in '55. He didn't play for Indianapolis until '56. So I'd go with before. In '55 he played for Tulsa and Reading. I don't know for sure where he changed his name, but I'd assume that it's not something he would've done during the season(in case of distraction), so I'd lean toward wherever he was living at the time during the offseason.. This all purely speculation though.

RichardSimon 03-04-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 972751)
It's actually a little known fact that Roger's given name was Richard, but he had it legally changed along the way. ;):p

Given this fact, this ball is extremely scarce. Lock and load all!! :D

Son of a gun, that is what happened to me too, my legal name was Roger and I changed it to Richard, thanks for the info Scott, :D:D. Maris and I now have something sort of in common :D.
Roger Simon autographed balls will be available in the lobby during intermission. :)
ps. the idiot seller was so ashamed of this listing that he cancelled it.

mr2686 03-04-2012 04:45 PM

It's a little known fact that Roger played around with name changes during the 61 season. I have rare single signed balls with the first names Randy, Rance, Riley, Rocky, and Mickey. If you add these to the sellers Richard ball, you can have a whole set. Very rare, and can be your's for $250,000..OBO. You just can't find this stuff ANYWHERE!!!!!

thebigtrain 03-04-2012 11:02 PM

His given name was Rogers Hornsby Maras. He had to change it because Rogers Hornsby copyrighted the plural form of "roger" in 1956. Thats's why there are no more Rogers-es.

Vintagedegu 03-05-2012 08:21 AM

-

Leon 03-05-2012 10:29 AM

I heard

I heard he changed his name to a shortened, "RAM"....short for Roger Archive Maris.....

Vintagedegu 03-05-2012 01:26 PM

-

39special 03-05-2012 02:23 PM

That would have looked good next to my Marty Mantle ball!

slidekellyslide 03-05-2012 03:40 PM

I suppose I could google it and find out, but does anyone know why Maris changed the spelling of his last name?

perezfan 03-05-2012 04:31 PM

The Maris' Family actually changed the name in Spring of 1955. I heard once, but can't remember why.

Anyway.... here are a couple of interesting and legit "Maras" signed pieces from his earliest days as a professional...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...px?lotid=20492

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...px?lotid=41749

novakjr 03-05-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 973048)
I suppose I could google it and find out, but does anyone know why Maris changed the spelling of his last name?

Supposedly, fans were heckling him with mis-pronunciations. Mar-"ASS"..

Scott Garner 03-06-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 973068)
Supposedly, fans were heckling him with mis-pronunciations. Mar-"ASS"..

How true! ;)