Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Pandemic baseball (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=288222)

Snapolit1 08-29-2020 02:00 PM

Pandemic baseball

Watching Mets vs. Yankees today. Neither team particularly good. Both hit with injuries and Mets with guys who decided they didn't want to play. Neither going anywhere. And watching games with no one in stands and the game is great. Riveting. And I realize how 'effin much I love watching baseball. It's such a great game.

I do think they should make all games 7 innings at some point. Just a tighter, more attractive product for people. Game would be fine.

Mark17 08-30-2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2012946)
I do think they should make all games 7 innings at some point. Just a tighter, more attractive product for people. Game would be fine.

Is the goal of baseball to be a "more attractive product,' or to have some historical consistency? Do 7 inning shutouts, no-hitters, perfect games count? That would really cheapen them. If not, then nobody can ever pitch one of them again.

What I think they should've done is declare 2020 an exhibition season only - NO stats from 2020 count, and then you can have the 7 inning games, shorten outfield fences to 250 feet, start innings with runners already on base, have 3 DHs per team, or whatever other innovations to make it a "more attractive product" for the fans at home watching on TV.

Consider it the same as guys who missed seasons due to WW2.

Then in 2021, virus or not, return to real baseball with a full schedule and normal rules.

TedWill1939 08-30-2020 06:48 AM

Agree with OP. Has been a nice distraction from all the turmoil. Have also been wondering if 7 ins would be better or a return to small ball would pass some of these long hours.

Snapolit1 08-30-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedWill1939 (Post 2013145)
Agree with OP. Has been a nice distraction from all the turmoil. Have also been wondering if 7 ins would be better or a return to small ball would pass some of these long hours.

Historical consistency? Maybe they shouldn’t be allowed to wear gloves. Or maybe go back to the 21 run rule.

vintagewhitesox 08-31-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2013111)
Is the goal of baseball to be a "more attractive product,' or to have some historical consistency? Do 7 inning shutouts, no-hitters, perfect games count? That would really cheapen them. If not, then nobody can ever pitch one of them again.

What I think they should've done is declare 2020 an exhibition season only - NO stats from 2020 count, and then you can have the 7 inning games, shorten outfield fences to 250 feet, start innings with runners already on base, have 3 DHs per team, or whatever other innovations to make it a "more attractive product" for the fans at home watching on TV.

Consider it the same as guys who missed seasons due to WW2.

Then in 2021, virus or not, return to real baseball with a full schedule and normal rules.

Agree completely. Personally it is hard to get excited about this season.

Except for Giolito's no hitter. that counts.

timzcardz 08-31-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2013111)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2013288)
Historical consistency? Maybe they shouldn’t be allowed to wear gloves. Or maybe go back to the 21 run rule.

Yup, the only thing consistent is change.

The history of baseball, and by baseball I assume that to be Major League Baseball, is that the rules change.

As a business, and MLB IS a business, the goal isn't to be a "more attractive product"; the goal is to make money. Being a "more attractive product" is a means to achieve that goal.