Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1968 topps test plaks theorem of existance (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=110905)

Archive 11-15-2008 09:06 AM

1968 topps test plaks theorem of existance

Posted By: <b>larry</b><p>fortunately or unfortunately i am now in possesion of 12 different triple plak combinations....these 12 triple plaks consist of 36 plaks<br>however only 19 of the 24 players on the checklist are accounted for<br>7 players appear once 7 players twice and 5 players 3 times<br>if the 5 players who appear 3 times only appeared twice and the 5 missing players took their spot you would have 12 players appearing once and 12 appearing twice which would make perfect sense...so did topps replace these 5 missing players and triple print 5 others? for what reason and why did they include them on the checklist?..for more then 10 years now no one has come forward with these missing plaks( drysdale peters robinson mays and aaron? Do they exist? Anyone on the boards have one? post a scan please<br>perhaps an article in the scd could bring them out of the woodwork if they exist<br>Right now its only a theorem that they dont exist

Archive 11-17-2008 07:44 PM

Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>Larry:<br><br>Given the scarcity of the Plaks, I am not surprised some are not known to you or people on this board. I think that all the plaks were issued as they were sold at retail with the two checklists confirming the players. I also think the missing 67 Punchouts will show someday too, altho' they seem SP'd for sure.<br><br>Some, if not all, vintage Topps oddball sets have subjects that are common and those that are short printed. For instance, I probably see as many 51 ML All Star Kell's as all the other seven cards issued cards in the set combined. I'm not sure on pop reports but that Kell seems extra-printed for sure. Sometimes I think Topps execs just liked a certain player and made extras so they could have some copies of their own without screwing up the print run!

Archive 11-17-2008 08:38 PM

Posted By: <b>larry</b><p>dave<br>im 99.99999% certain there are only 86 captains not 91<br>with 195 lineups...topps themselves said there are almost 200<br>not 200 not over 200 but almost 200<br>the 5 players listed in scd book do not exist...i have every catalog dating back 15 years...not one collector has come forward in that time to show me any of those 5 and ive heard from everyone...<br>as for the plaks...yes they are scarce and until i accumulated the 12 different triples i had no idea...but i am rapidly becoming convinced<br>many years ago mastro sold an amazing mays collection that included everything dice game 67 stand up and even the 66 double punchout<br>but no plak<br>yes anything is possible...perhaps you would write an article for the scd about these issues...maybe someone out there has one and will write in<br><br>