Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Formula 1 : Drive To Survive on Netflix (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299796)

D. Bergin 04-03-2021 06:01 PM

Formula 1 : Drive To Survive on Netflix

Anybody catch this "reality" series on Netflix?

3rd season dropped a few weeks ago, and as usual, it's crackerjack.

It's even got me looking at Formula 1 cards on Ebay, LOL!

Having not seen any spoilers, Episode 9 of the new season may be one of the most intense and panic inducing installments of a television show I have ever seen.

That whole episode from beginning to end was a pure rollercoaster.

It's "Deadliest Catch" for the uber rich. :cool:

Trailer below.

https://youtu.be/wtJPe1ksS6E

Don't see any way to directly embed a Youtube video onto this forum.

RTK 04-06-2021 08:26 PM

Sounds interesting. I'm a long time autosports fan.

ibuysportsephemera 04-07-2021 07:58 AM

I've watched all 3 seasons and became a F1 fan after the first season. Very enjoyable!

Jeff

RTK 04-07-2021 09:22 AM

BTW - On this day, Jimmy Clarks fateful accident at Hockenheim

3/4/36 - 4/7/68

timzcardz 04-19-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2089277)

Having not seen any spoilers,

I get it, they call them "wings," but aren't they really just spoilers?

:D

buymycards 04-19-2021 09:03 AM

Netflix

I have been a F1 fan since I was a kid and got my first Strombecker racing set.

The Drive to Survive is excellent.

D. Bergin 04-19-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 2094444)

LOL, touche' :)

D. Bergin 04-19-2021 09:46 AM

I think NASCAR would be smart to do whatever they could to get the makers of this to do a similar show for them. I think it would spark more interest in their brand.

F1 has always kind of fascinated me, but I've never been able to get into NASCAR myself. I like the different cars, the different tracks, the seemingly more chaotic aspects of F1.

I say this knowing full well that NASCAR is a much more fair and equitable sport to the athletes driving the cars.

canjond 04-19-2021 04:20 PM

Here's a taste... this has got to be one of the most intense 6 minutes I've watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YMjw2sjXqU

brian1961 04-20-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 2094444)

Really Tim, in actuality, it's a matter of the semantics from two different countries, whose language is the same, yet quite diverse. The British say "wings" for the devices built upon a racing car that help with downforce, stability, air flow, etc. We Americans use the term "spoilers" to refer to the exact same thing. Perhaps you've heard the British say "bonnet" and "boot" in the same way we say, respectively, "hood" and "trunk". Cheers. ---Brian Powell

irv 04-21-2021 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canjond (Post 2094615)
Here's a taste... this has got to be one of the most intense 6 minutes I've watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YMjw2sjXqU

That was crazy!! I had to google it before I watched anymore as I thought, despite it being on a dated video, there is no way I am going to watch a man burn to death.

What really stuck out in my mind, besides the fact he walked away from this, was where were all the safety vehicles with numerous personal with numerous fire extinguishers???

I guess I am used to watching NHRA and seeing the safety Safari right on top of things even before the car has come to a complete stop, but I couldn't believe how long it took anyone with any FX's to get there and how few of them there were! :confused:

profholt82 04-24-2021 08:03 AM

Yeah, I watched that race live last season. When it happened, I thought there was no way Grosjean survived. No way. My daughter was watching the race with me, and she started crying and praying after it had become apparent what had happened. We had a talk about how dangerous race car driving is, and that sometimes accidents happen.

It took what seemed like an eternity before they showed us that he had survived. After the crash, the cameras just showed different things around the paddock and the commentators talked. I assume that the Sky TV producers figured (like the rest of us) that he was dead, and didn't want to show the gruesome details on tv. When they finally confirmed that he was alive and showed the replay of him coming out of the car, it was an amazing sigh of relief, and near disbelief. I mean, how could he have possibly survived that crash at that speed? His car was ripped in two pieces.

Incidentally, Grosjean was in the final season of his F1 contract, and it was believed that he would retire from racing. However, he has now begun racing the United States this year in the IndyCar league. I can't imagine that his wife and children and thrilled about that. Dude has balls of steel, that's for sure.

D. Bergin 04-24-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profholt82 (Post 2096152)
Yeah, I watched that race live last season. When it happened, I thought there was no way Grosjean survived. No way. My daughter was watching the race with me, and she started crying and praying after it had become apparent what had happened. We had a talk about how dangerous race car driving is, and that sometimes accidents happen.

It took what seemed like an eternity before they showed us that he had survived. After the crash, the cameras just showed different things around the paddock and the commentators talked. I assume that the Sky TV producers figured (like the rest of us) that he was dead, and didn't want to show the gruesome details on tv. When they finally confirmed that he was alive and showed the replay of him coming out of the car, it was an amazing sigh of relief, and near disbelief. I mean, how could he have possibly survived that crash at that speed? His car was ripped in two pieces.

Incidentally, Grosjean was in the final season of his F1 contract, and it was believed that he would retire from racing. However, he has now begun racing the United States this year in the IndyCar league. I can't imagine that his wife and children and thrilled about that. Dude has balls of steel, that's for sure.

I didn't realize Grosjean was still racing. Doesn't quite surprise me as these guys are a different sort. Niki Lauda being the first obvious example that jumps to mind.

canjond 04-29-2021 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2096260)
I didn't realize Grosjean was still racing. Doesn't quite surprise me as these guys are a different sort. Niki Lauda being the first obvious example that jumps to mind.

And he came back in the same season no less to still challenge for the Championship. Insane.