Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How do you package and send cards to TPG's to keep them secure (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=302004)

butchie_t 05-15-2021 12:33 PM

How do you package and send cards to TPG's to keep them secure

Those of you that send in cards to TPG's:

What is your method of sending cards in to ensure you get the maximum return of your order?

Do you send then in in soft card holders then into hard top loaders, does that scratch the surface of the cards? Do you use a different method, can you please share?

How do you protect your cards that you send in for grading that keeps them from getting any damage/scratches between your place and the grading company?

While I am not the greatest fan of grading, the maximum ROI is not lost on me either. Facts are card grading is not going away. I have a number of cards I want to get the most out of and if I have to spend something upfront to get the highest possible return, then I need to do this as well.

Thanks in advance.

Eric72 05-16-2021 07:33 PM

I have only sent cards to SGC in recent years. There were a total of four; one reholder and three 2011 Topps Mike Trout rookies.

I opened the cards in 2011 and soft sleeved/top loaded them right away. It's not like I saw Trout as a future star of epic proportions. All the rookie cards get this treatment when I open packs.

Anyway, I kept them in the soft sleeve/top loader all the way up to the point when I sent them to SGC. Here's the method I used to pack them:
  • New Ultra-Pro soft sleeve
  • Sleeve into a new Ultra-Pro 3x4 top loader
  • Top loader into a graded card sleeve (opening of the top loader flush against bottom of the graded card sleeve, so it cannot inadvertently slide out)
  • Fill rest of the graded card sleeve with empty top loaders (a total of 10 top loaders will fit nicely)
  • Seal the graded card sleeve and encase in bubble wrap
  • Put the bubble wrapped package inside a small box, labeled "RAW CARDS INSIDE" (make sure contents cannot move during shipment)
  • Pack this box inside a larger box, well-protected with packing peanuts to prevent the contents from moving during shipment

Again, this is what I did for a few cards a little over a year ago. No guarantees this will work in any particular circumstance. From what I understand, grading companies prefer items be shipped in CardSavers.

However, the cards came back 9, 9.5, and 9.5 - which is slightly higher than I would have graded them. I'm a harsh grader, though. Point being, they made it to SGC in the same condition as I sent them.

butchie_t 05-16-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2103812)
I have only sent cards to SGC in recent years. There were a total of four; one reholder and three 2011 Topps Mike Trout rookies.

I opened the cards in 2011 and soft sleeved/top loaded them right away. It's not like I saw Trout as a future star of epic proportions. All the rookie cards get this treatment when I open packs.

Anyway, I kept them in the soft sleeve/top loader all the way up to the point when I sent them to SGC. Here's the method I used to pack them:
  • New Ultra-Pro soft sleeve
  • Sleeve into a new Ultra-Pro 3x4 top loader
  • Top loader into a graded card sleeve (opening of the top loader flush against bottom of the graded card sleeve, so it cannot inadvertently slide out)
  • Fill rest of the graded card sleeve with empty top loaders (a total of 10 top loaders will fit nicely)
  • Seal the graded card sleeve and encase in bubble wrap
  • Put the bubble wrapped package inside a small box, labeled "RAW CARDS INSIDE" (make sure contents cannot move during shipment)
  • Pack this box inside a larger box, well-protected with packing peanuts to prevent the contents from moving during shipment

Again, this is what I did for a few cards a little over a year ago. No guarantees this will work in any particular circumstance. From what I understand, grading companies prefer items be shipped in CardSavers.

However, the cards came back 9, 9.5, and 9.5 - which is slightly higher than I would have graded them. I'm a harsh grader, though. Point being, they made it to SGC in the same condition as I sent them.

Eric,

First, thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate that greatly.

Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate your insight. You describe my concern accurately. Getting the cards to a grading company in the exact or as near as possible to how I pack them.

Thanks for the tips, I will use them when I send mine in.

Regards,

B.T.

steve B 05-16-2021 10:04 PM

That's way more involved that what I've done.
My first few went in toploaders,but were dropped off at a show for later grading.
The ones I mailed were sent in cardsavers, as that's what the card companies recommend.
I don't use card savers, so I had to save them up from ebay and card show purchases.

After that, cardboard stiffeners, wrapped in bubble wrap, and sent registered mail.