Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1950's Cards - Why are so many get high grades when they are "Tattered" - Pic Include (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=281018)

that T206 Guy 03-31-2020 02:19 PM

1950's Cards - Why are so many get high grades when they are "Tattered" - Pic Include

https://i.imgur.com/NH4SxWF.jpg

I see a Ton of 1950's Cards that are "Tattered" on at least one side.

It seems like this is a 50's thing as I rarely see it in Cards from other Decades.

But my question is why do they grade so high?

I mean it looks terrible and I would never buy one.

But I see people paying big money for PSA 9 Tattered Cards.

To me I don't think they should grade higher than a 2-3.

I mean it is Clearly NOT a Mint Card.

Here is an example I found on ebay of a 1953 Topps Bob Feller.

Seller Claims it is Near Mint (What !!!!!!)

nsaddict 03-31-2020 02:36 PM

I find it to be an attractive card. The "rough cut" doesn't bother me one bit. And less likely to be trimmed! I assume you are new to vintage collecting?

that T206 Guy 03-31-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsaddict (Post 1966636)
I find it to be an attractive card. The "rough cut" doesn't bother me one bit. And less likely to be trimmed! I assume you are new to vintage collecting?

Not new new.

I have dabbled in it on and off for a couple decades but I like T206 and Older stuff more so I don't do much with 1950's stuff.

that T206 Guy 03-31-2020 02:42 PM

How can they get a PSA Mint 9 Grade when the Edges are not Razor Sharp?

If I look at a PSA 9 from any other Decade it will be Razor Sharp but I see a ton of PSA 9 Tattered 1950's Cards.

Makes no sense to me.

Leon 03-31-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by that T206 Guy (Post 1966638)
How can they get a PSA Mint 9 Grade when the Edges are not Razor Sharp?

If I look at a PSA 9 from any other Decade it will be Razor Sharp but I see a ton of PSA 9 Tattered 1950's Cards.

Makes no sense to me.

Some cards had rough factory cuts. I like them...

perezfan 03-31-2020 03:10 PM

Unfortunately the collector must even beware of rough cuts. The card doctors (especially Moser) can replicate these rough cut edges to a tee, and PSA passes them routinely with numerical grades.

Educate yourself, and be careful.

swarmee 03-31-2020 03:57 PM

It's because the cards were cut with wires instead of long blades during many of those year (and especially on OPC). They are referred to as "rough cuts" and are how the cards come straight out of the packs. If the edges are smooth on many of those sets, you can assume that they've been tampered with or "sheet cut."

Although you don't like them, the fact that those are natural to the issue allows them to achieve high grades. And until it was shown that card doctors can also trim cards to look "rough cut", they were thought to be a sign the card wasn't trimmed. But you can see on the Blowout forums that many sets with rough cuts were trimmed and then re-roughed up in order to make the look natural. One the sets this was done to and detected on is the 1952 Topps Look-N-See set.

CurtisFlood 03-31-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1966639)

Yes they did. Even the 1979 OPC Ozzie Smith RC is found rough cut about half the time. That doesn't bother most collectors, but centering does bother a lot of them.

tedzan 03-31-2020 06:24 PM

Every Duke Snider rookie card has a rough cut on it's left side. This is because he was printed on the left-most edge of the 36-card
sheet. The point is that certain cards were factory cut as such. Just like the right side of the 1953 TOPPS Feller which you posted.

https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...radeSnider.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

that T206 Guy 03-31-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1966639)

Doesn't matter how they came from the factory.

They are still NOT Mint.

I mean if somebody dropped the cards at the factory and they got dinged PSA are going to grade them accordingly. They are not going to say well its Mint besides the ding but that happened at the factory so we will grade it a 9.

that T206 Guy 03-31-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtisFlood (Post 1966707)
Yes they did. Even the 1979 OPC Ozzie Smith RC is found rough cut about half the time. That doesn't bother most collectors, but centering does bother a lot of them.

I don't see how that doesn't bother people.

If I had a card like that it would drive me nuts.

Centering is the most important thing to me unless the picture is out of focus or fadded or something major like that.

that T206 Guy 03-31-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1966666)
It's because the cards were cut with wires instead of long blades during many of those year (and especially on OPC). They are referred to as "rough cuts" and are how the cards come straight out of the packs. If the edges are smooth on many of those sets, you can assume that they've been tampered with or "sheet cut."

Although you don't like them, the fact that those are natural to the issue allows them to achieve high grades. And until it was shown that card doctors can also trim cards to look "rough cut", they were thought to be a sign the card wasn't trimmed. But you can see on the Blowout forums that many sets with rough cuts were trimmed and then re-roughed up in order to make the look natural. One the sets this was done to and detected on is the 1952 Topps Look-N-See set.

If they were cut differently why do they normally have 3 sharp sides and 1 rough one. Shouldn't they be all straight or all rough.

hysell 03-31-2020 07:34 PM

Seems a double standard to me ?

:eek: Sorry i would agree with Steve on this one ? People get SO BENT out of shape for a OC card , that , also , come out of the packs looking like that ? So, to say that"s the way they come out , to , me holds NO WATER ....then for a rough cut card , but we take off for a OC card. But not for rough cut card ? I do take off for any rough cut card , including O-Pee- Chee cards & I'v seen them rough cut on ALL 4 sides ?:confused:

that T206 Guy 03-31-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1966728)
Every Duke Snider rookie card has a rough cut on it's left side. This is because he was printed on the left-most edge of the 36-card
sheet. The point is that certain cards were factory cut as such. Just like the right side of the 1953 TOPPS Feller which you posted.

https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...radeSnider.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

Well if they are all supposed to be the same (for that player) then why do I see Graded Fellers with and without that Rough Edge?

that T206 Guy 03-31-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hysell (Post 1966758)
:eek: Sorry i would agree with Steve on this one ? People get SO BENT out of shape for a OC card , that , also , come out of the packs looking like that ? So, to say that"s the way they come out , to , me holds NO WATER ....then for a rough cut card , but we take off for a OC card. But not for rough cut card ? I do take off for any rough cut card , including O-Pee- Chee cards & I'v seen them rough cut on ALL 4 sides ?:confused:

That is True.

Also, it cheapens the value of a PSA 9 that is sharp.

So you have two cards with the same grade that are not the same.

Maybe they should add a qualifier like they do with OC Cards?

irv 03-31-2020 08:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by that T206 Guy (Post 1966756)
I don't see how that doesn't bother people.

If I had a card like that it would drive me nuts.

Centering is the most important thing to me unless the picture is out of focus or fadded or something major like that.

I like them, but that is also what I am use to, as that's the way they were when I was young and collected OPC hockey cards.

What's your thoughts on deckle edge cards? :D

hcv123 03-31-2020 09:37 PM

Good point

Quote:

Originally Posted by hysell (Post 1966758)

Interesting conversation. Objectively the statement is accurate - off centered cuts, print marks and potentially other "original factory issues" are that while the grading companies penalize for all but the rough cut. Interesting point. I guess brings us back to the old adage - buy the card not the holder - If you like the factory defect - whatever it is - great buy it - if not - don't. Remember 3rd party grading at the end of the day is only "an opinion" - you are entitled to your own.

perezfan 03-31-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by that T206 Guy (Post 1966760)
Well if they are all supposed to be the same (for that player) then why do I see Graded Fellers with and without that Rough Edge?

Perhaps you’re giving way too much credit to the viability of the TPGs. There are more discrepancies within their grading systems than you can count on both hands.

sb1 04-01-2020 07:02 AM

Feller was double printed on the sheet, thus two card positions, one presumably with the common rough cut edge, the other without.

olecow 04-01-2020 08:23 AM

I love the rough cut on some 1950's cards. I'd actually put a premium on it.

Phil68 04-01-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olecow (Post 1966851)
I love the rough cut on some 1950's cards. I'd actually put a premium on it.

In many cases--like the Feller above, I would, too.
Rough cuts are like redheads...some people just don't dig 'em.
Others can't get enough of 'em.
Most collectors have no gray area with rough cuts.