Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Estate Sale (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=192368)

Nappy1525 08-14-2014 09:51 AM

Estate Sale

I have never been to one and would really like to go to one. Does anyone know where one is on Long Island or where is a good place I can look up to find one? Thanks

Howe’s Hunter 08-14-2014 09:54 AM

Guessing they must be different in your area than mine

Around here, an estate sale is held at the home of whoever died/moved/etc. Usually the stuff is on display in the home just as it would have been when the person still lived there, except with price tags on it. Usually a cashier in the garage, and several attendants throughout the home to make sure no one shoplifts or steals.

Is rather strange to be pulling books off a shelf and looking at them, with the thought of buying them from someone home. Have to admit, while I've been to a few, not a big fan.

rjackson44 08-14-2014 09:56 AM

hi nappy go to craglist under new York and go to garage sales you will see a lot of the estate sales there:) good luck

cubsguy1969 08-14-2014 10:34 AM

I live on Long Island and am an estate sale junkie. I go every week and have found some incredible stuff -- including sports items I just auctioned through Heritage a few months back and did really well with. Below is a link to the estate sale site I use. Be prepared for a lot of competition. And if you want to be in the house first to get the good stuff, you'll have to get there crazy early (depending on how good the house looks in the photos they post; professional tag sale services handle most of the quality sales). There's a number system among the regular tag-salers. I've gotten to a house at 4 in the morning and ended up with a number in the 30s. It's insane. Guys pull numbers for their buddies. Often they sleep overnight. There was an incredible house in Sea Cliff a few years back that guys started sitting for three or four days ahead of time. They sat in shifts. A lot of these people do it for a living so competition is fierce. It's a lot of fun, for the most part, but that aspect takes a little of the enjoyment out of it. Even for the run-of-the-mill house, you often stand in line for a half-hour or more. But if you enjoy going to estate sales, Long Island's one of the best places for it. Lots of old houses, lots of money, lots of history, and close to NYC. Kind of the perfect storm. Amazing what people pull out of these houses. Here's the link.

http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sa.../New-York.aspx

Good luck! Don't find anything I want! :)

Rob

Nappy1525 08-14-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsguy1969 (Post 1310074)
I live on Long Island and am an estate sale junkie. I go every week and have found some incredible stuff -- including sports items I just auctioned through Heritage a few months back and did really well with. Below is a link to the estate sale site I use. Be prepared for a lot of competition. And if you want to be in the house first to get the good stuff, you'll have to get there crazy early (depending on how good the house looks in the photos they post; professional tag sale services handle most of the quality sales). There's a number system among the regular tag-salers. I've gotten to a house at 4 in the morning and ended up with a number in the 30s. It's insane. Guys pull numbers for their buddies. Often they sleep overnight. There was an incredible house in Sea Cliff a few years back that guys started sitting for three or four days ahead of time. They sat in shifts. A lot of these people do it for a living so competition is fierce. It's a lot of fun, for the most part, but that aspect takes a little of the enjoyment out of it. Even for the run-of-the-mill house, you often stand in line for a half-hour or more. But if you enjoy going to estate sales, Long Island's one of the best places for it. Lots of old houses, lots of money, lots of history, and close to NYC. Kind of the perfect storm. Amazing what people pull out of these houses. Here's the link.

http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sa.../New-York.aspx

Good luck! Don't find anything I want! :)

Rob

Thank you very much this has told me every little thing I need to know about them and how to find them. Maybe we can meet up at one one time and if I'm there before you I'll pull a number for you if your ever running late. Thanks again

t206blogcom 08-14-2014 12:19 PM

www.estatesales.net

I've used the www.estatesales.net site quite a bit as well. I haven't scored anything big sports-related. The only baseball stuff I come across are 80s/90s wax junk or late 70s. I remember one sale had 4 shoe boxes of cards - mostly baseball, but some old basketball - all from mid-to-late 70s. The cards were well loved and had a few stars like Steve Garvey and Pete Rose. I can remember a few people trying to grab the boxes and they ended up fighting over them, which started a price war with the cashier. In the end, one guy paid $300+ for 3 shoe boxes of very worn cards.

On another note, not baseball related, I did strike a great deal on two Canon lenses for my digital SLR. Retail the two lenses were $4k+ and I paid $900 for both (no haggle - that was the listed price).

mrvster 08-14-2014 12:38 PM

I have to say....

the estate sales just don't sit right with me...:o.....I'm not judging anyone, just feel bad for the person who passed and everyone having a "free for all" party going through your stuff...:eek:

just a little morbid to me......like I said, not judging and saying there is anything wrong with it....

if it were me and everyone was having a party with my shit, id haunt them:D:p

Peter_Spaeth 08-14-2014 01:20 PM

I've dropped by quite a few when I was out doing Saturday morning errands and even though some were at very nice houses where obviously people were well-to-do, I've never seen anything on the sports side that was worthwhile.