Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Rare 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken warning (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300242)

bnorth 04-12-2021 06:24 PM

Rare 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken warning

2 Attachment(s)
There is a altered card on COMC listed as a White Scribble. It looks nothing like a White Scribble and appears to be altered to look like it does. Here is a picture of the card.

The pic with 2 card is what a real White Scribble looks like.

swarmee 04-13-2021 04:51 AM

Thanks; I reported it, and they should take it down. Looks like the current owner may have bought it on site, in which case they'll refund the purchase.

bnorth 04-13-2021 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2092354)
Thanks; I reported it, and they should take it down. Looks like the current owner may have bought it on site, in which case they'll refund the purchase.

It has been reported multiple times for at least a week. I even messaged an employee who said they would have it removed by last Friday.

ALR-bishop 04-13-2021 07:45 AM

This is a card where one could accumulate a collection of fakes. I know of at least two instances where Lemke listed and pictured items he labeled as fakes in the Standard Catalog. I wondered whether such listings or other hobby recognition of some cards as fakes gives them a type of collectible value to some collectors, beyond trying to scam other collectors

bnorth 04-13-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2092402)
This is a card where one could accumulate a collection of fakes. I know of at least two instances where Lemke listed and pictured items he labeled as fakes in the Standard Catalog. I wondered whether such listings or other hobby recognition of some cards as fakes gives them a type of collectible value to some collectors, beyond trying to scam other collectors

Yes two of the fakes are very collectible. The B/W test issue is a known fake and most Ripken collectors own one.

Then there is the one known as the "Mystery Card". It is semi rare with around 30 known copies. PSA has graded 6 of them that I know of and I have owned 3 of them. Some think it is a test/promo type card. I personally think it is 100% counterfeit and it really isn't debatable to me.

The B/W test issue sells from $2-$10 each and the Mystery Cards have sold from $50 to $150 and $400 to $900 each for a graded example.

bnorth 04-13-2021 09:06 AM

Bump to note the bad card is now removed from COMC.:D

steve B 04-13-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2092413)
Yes two of the fakes are very collectible. The B/W test issue is a known fake and most Ripken collectors own one.

Then there is the one known as the "Mystery Card". It is semi rare with around 30 known copies. PSA has graded 6 of them that I know of and I have owned 3 of them. Some think it is a test/promo type card. I personally think it is 100% counterfeit and it really isn't debatable to me.

The B/W test issue sells from $2-$10 each and the Mystery Cards have sold from $50 to $150 and $400 to $900 each for a graded example.

That mystery card is one very strange card. It has many elements that say FAKE! and yet it also has some that are totally not typical of either fakes or real cards.

Enough weirdness it could be discussed for a long time, (Or 10 seconds)

I'm probably who Ben is saying thinks it's not necessarily fake. I'm on the fence. Fakers of that era typically made the same mistakes and made them over and over. That card is a collection of very atypical mistakes, especially a couple that required more work than just copying a card. (effort that Fleer didn't even put into their cards. )

bnorth 04-13-2021 12:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2092485)
That mystery card is one very strange card. It has many elements that say FAKE! and yet it also has some that are totally not typical of either fakes or real cards.

Enough weirdness it could be discussed for a long time, (Or 10 seconds)

I'm probably who Ben is saying thinks it's not necessarily fake. I'm on the fence. Fakers of that era typically made the same mistakes and made them over and over. That card is a collection of very atypical mistakes, especially a couple that required more work than just copying a card. (effort that Fleer didn't even put into their cards. )

Actually I am about the only one to call it a counterfeit. Most of the Ripken collectors want it to be/think it is a real Fleer product.

Steve really knows printing and I stayed at a Holliday Inn express so we respectfully disagree with each other and that is fine.:)

As far as grading companies go SGC has rejected 2 and Beckett rejected 1 as being counterfeit. PSA has been hit and miss as they have graded 6 as real and rejected some as counterfeit.

Here is a pic of the Mystery card and the Test Issue card.

philliesfan 04-13-2021 06:17 PM

Looks like he dabbed white out on the card.

Rich Klein 04-13-2021 06:54 PM

There is now a hold on the Ripken card in question.,

And I apologize if it was me for last Friday as I got my 2nd dab on Wednesday. had a not so good reaction, and did not return till Friday and was frankly at half speed that day. The best way, as mjohn will verify, is if you email me I have a much better memory to make data base changes such as this or the DeCinces noted in a different thread.

Rich

bnorth 04-13-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2092635)
There is now a hold on the Ripken card in question.,

And I apologize if it was me for last Friday as I got my 2nd dab on Wednesday. had a not so good reaction, and did not return till Friday and was frankly at half speed that day. The best way, as mjohn will verify, is if you email me I have a much better memory to make data base changes such as this or the DeCinces noted in a different thread.

Rich

That's too bad you had a bad reaction to your second dose. Hope you are back up to speed now. A bad card got taken down so in the big picture that is all that matters.

Have a great evening Rich.:)

Statfreak101 04-14-2021 10:54 AM

Another Ripken to NOT buy...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Ripken...QAAOSwnCden5Ya

These are FAKE, this guy is a FRAUD, and do NOT buy from him. He has been selling these quite often over the last 6 months, and they are NOT authentic.

bnorth 04-14-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 (Post 2092825)
Another Ripken to NOT buy...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Ripken...QAAOSwnCden5Ya

These are FAKE, this guy is a FRAUD, and do NOT buy from him. He has been selling these quite often over the last 6 months, and they are NOT authentic.

Tim has been selling those fake white outs for years.

hockeyhockey 04-15-2021 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesfan (Post 2092624)
Looks like he dabbed white out on the card.

i was gonna suggest he did something else to the card, but that's not a family-type response

deweyinthehall 04-15-2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2093107)
i was gonna suggest he did something else to the card, but that's not a family-type response

That's just nasty.

Statfreak101 04-16-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2092830)
Tim has been selling those fake white outs for years.

He sure has - I have even messaged him and called him out on it...and he just made empty threats.

Just reported the current one listed as counterfeit/not authentic, but of course eBay does nothing.