Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig autograph FDC 1933 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272047)

Ribbens 08-05-2019 07:40 PM

Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig autograph FDC 1933

1 Attachment(s)
Looking for feedback about a dual signature of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig dated November 10 1933. It comes with a COA by a company called Authentic Memorabilia Appraisal dated September 3 2011.

earlywynnfan 08-05-2019 08:34 PM

From the sound of the company, if you post the COA I'm sure we'll all get a good laugh.

Ken

Bpm0014 08-05-2019 08:58 PM

100% no good

David Atkatz 08-06-2019 12:25 AM

David, if you can't tell on your own that those are atrocious forgeries, you have no business collecting such high-end autographs.
Do some studying. Educate yourself.

Ribbens 08-06-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1905893)
David, if you can't tell on your own that those are atrocious forgeries, you have no business collecting such high-end autographs.
Do some studying. Educate yourself.

Thanks for the advice, I don't collect that high end collectibles and I choose to get advice from experts which I thought was the point of this forum. No reason to be condescending.

Bpm0014 08-06-2019 06:40 AM

I choose to get advice from experts which I thought was the point of this forum.

Couldn't agree more with you.

keithsky 08-06-2019 07:13 AM

Looks like something from Coachs Corner

Klrdds 08-06-2019 08:11 AM

Horrendous signatures
Who knows the envelope could be fake also
My 15 year old could do better

thetruthisoutthere 08-06-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithsky (Post 1905926)
Looks like something from Coachs Corner

For sure.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-06-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1905844)
From the sound of the company, if you post the COA I'm sure we'll all get a good laugh.

Ken

Don't really need the COA to get a laugh out of this, the autographs are funny enough.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-06-2019 03:56 PM

Plus everyone gets a post card celebrating Martin Luther's birth autographed by Ruth and Gehrig...

frankbmd 08-06-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1906057)
Plus everyone gets a post card celebrating Martin Luther's birth autographed by Ruth and Gehrig...

I’d be more suspicious if it was celebrating Luther Vandross’ birth.;)

RichardSimon 08-06-2019 04:31 PM

Really f u g l y.

PowderedH2O 08-06-2019 06:57 PM

Ribbens, I have learned that condescending is a specialty on baseball card chat boards. It was a fair question. Don't let rude people get you down.

Everyone else - The OP was polite and asked a legit question. Why can't you just give him an opinion without the sarcasm?

BillyCoxDodgers3B 08-06-2019 08:45 PM

The sarcasm is a side effect of the exasperation felt by the people who provide the opinions. With all due respect, many internet forums see multiple posts of laughable garbage by the same posters. Would it be better form to keep echoing Stengel's "Can't anybody here play this game?"? It's tiresome to read and see this junk all the time; either pay the TPA of your choice or deal with a bit of free sass. Around here, free has always been the popular choice.

PowderedH2O 08-07-2019 09:58 AM

I would agree to an extent, except for the fact that I have received the same sarcasm many times and I rarely ask a question. I have collected since 1973 and have chimed in many times in a civil manner on this board and others. In that time I have been called an idiot, a doofus, a "genius" sarcastically, and a few other things. If you want the hobby to continue you must deal with new collectors. Otherwise, you'll have a hobby like first day cover collecting where you can't give them away.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-07-2019 10:33 AM

I just made a joke about the autographs themselves, I try not to make things personal. Hope that didn't bother the OP.

steve B 08-07-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1905943)
Horrendous signatures

The envelope is probably real.

It's not a first day cover, but what's called and event cover.
as one of those, it's a bit odd, but odd covers were not all that unusual in 1933.

It's also something that would be in a dealers dollar box.

steve B 08-07-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1906057)

Not being good with autographs, that's one of the first things I look at.

Was the item produced in the signers lifetime? So many people get that wrong with dollar bills it's kinda funny.

Does the item make sense with the signatures.
this one just doesn't.

Now if it came with a newspaper article from the period mentioning Ruth And Gehrig being guests at an anniversary event in NYC that day... that might be different.

Ribbens 08-07-2019 08:19 PM

The item was for-sale in a Rhode Island antique shop, saw it on Monday. I called the shop and informed them of this being a forgery and asked for the dealer name which of course they didn't provide. Thanks for collective wisdom, always appreciated even if it is a bit snarky at times. I understand experts can detect crap from a mile away, thanks for providing your expert information.

David Atkatz 08-16-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderedH2O (Post 1906151)
Ribbens, I have learned that condescending is a specialty on baseball card chat boards. It was a fair question. Don't let rude people get you down.

Everyone else - The OP was polite and asked a legit question. Why can't you just give him an opinion without the sarcasm?

I stand by my statement. Rude? Perhaps. But still good advice.

Duluth Eskimo 08-16-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1905917)
I choose to get advice from experts which I thought was the point of this forum.

Couldn't agree more with you.

I’m going to say something that may hurt some feelings, but the point of this forum is not free advice on every autograph someone is looking to purchase. The point of the forum is to encourage autograph discussion and share stories or knowledge within the autograph community. I will admit that most of the comments I make are to give a thumbs up or down on items, but I am rarely looking for advice. A number of knowledgeable people who have left or don’t participate in the forum anymore are from the forum turning in to a free advice column.

thetruthisoutthere 08-16-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1908890)
I’m going to say something that may hurt some feelings, but the point of this forum is not free advice on every autograph someone is looking to purchase. The point of the forum is to encourage autograph discussion and share stories or knowledge within the autograph community. I will admit that most of the comments I make are to give a thumbs up or down on items, but I am rarely looking for advice. A number of knowledgeable people who have left or don’t participate in the forum anymore are from the forum turning in to a free advice column.

One of the primary reasons that I don't opine nearly as much as I was, is exactly that.

There are numerous knowledgeable autograph collectors here that feel the same way I do.

People want us to opine and then 48 hours later, it's listed on the B/S/T side.

This is only directed at those who have never made an effort to gain a little bit of knowledge to help themselves; they simply want free advice.

I will give credit to those that have seriously made the effort to learn, and it's those people I will continue to help in private.

There is no end to acquiring an "eye" for autographs.

My "eye" picks up something new every week.

And thank you, Jason, for your post.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 08-16-2019 12:29 PM

I couldn't agree more with the above two posts.

Many years ago I used to give the occasional opinion on the board, mostly via PM. Once word got around, I was flooded with unsolicited emails for freepinions. It was ridiculous and I found it impolite. You can imagine how quiet it became after having to explain that my findings would come with a price. So many people wanting something for nothing. I guess it's to be expected, and the fault was my own for even chiming in at all.

Snapolit1 08-16-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderedH2O (Post 1906151)

As in many other corners of the Internet, for some people it's very important not to let an opportunity pass to point out to someone how stupid they are.

todeen 08-16-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1905943)
Horrendous signatures

Although those are fakes, I doubt your 15 year old could do better. They don't teach or stress cursive writing in school anymore (at least in the PNW). Whoever signed those has very nice flow and obviously writes in cursive constantly. I'm a high school teacher, and kids come up every year asking me to write their names in cursive. I do it on the white board, and then they take pictures on their phones so they can try to copy them and learn how to sign their names officially.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

7nohitter 08-17-2019 07:20 PM

I completely understand what Chris, David and others are saying...it has to be draining to be constantly asked for opinions, and then probably argued with. Who needs that?

I consider myself pretty damn good on Nolan Ryan stuff...because i've been looking at it for 30 years. Of course Ryan is still signing and has a signed a TON over his lifetime....and he's nowhere near the level of Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, Maris, etc.....but I can spot a fake.

I appreciate the input of the true experts like Chris, Shelley and David....Actually,because of these boards and the work of Chris I am WAY better at spotting fake Mantles now than I was years ago! I'd say I'm about 75% accurate...but I'm still learning. It's a long process...

thetruthisoutthere 08-18-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1909266)
I completely understand what Chris, David and others are saying...it has to be draining to be constantly asked for opinions, and then probably argued with. Who needs that?

I consider myself pretty damn good on Nolan Ryan stuff...because i've been looking at it for 30 years. Of course Ryan is still signing and has a signed a TON over his lifetime....and he's nowhere near the level of Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, Maris, etc.....but I can spot a fake.

I appreciate the input of the true experts like Chris, Shelley and David....Actually,because of these boards and the work of Chris I am WAY better at spotting fake Mantles now than I was years ago! I'd say I'm about 75% accurate...but I'm still learning. It's a long process...

Thank you, Andrew.

chaddurbin 08-18-2019 07:04 PM

Didn't think David's post was rude, and Chris is spot on. If you want to collect, then learn. If you want to make a quick buck(well within your right and the principle of this country) then send it to a tpa for a paid opinion. Don't try to piggyback off the lifetime knowledge of many here for free!

Most of the time you never hear from these people again until the next time they need a (free) opinion.