Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   89 UD Griffey- Is This A Print Defect? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=296899)

ronniehatesjazz 02-16-2021 04:17 PM

89 UD Griffey- Is This A Print Defect?

I picked this up this past summer and felt I overpaid ($80) but maybe now I got a bargain. I thought the card would grade a 9 but noticed a small line about half way through his right collar bone. It almost looks like a faint line of ink but I really don’t think it’s from a pen. Have any of you ever seen print defects like this with the set.

BTW, sorry for the low quality pic... it’s in one of the cases I have hanging on my wall and it’s a pain to open up.

Tripredacus 02-23-2021 02:49 PM

I don't see a pic.

But based on your description alone it sounds like you are describing a plate scratch.

swarmee 02-23-2021 03:51 PM

If it looks like a black eyelash or so, there was a thread about it on PSA's message board a few months ago. I would call it a recurring print defect.

scmavl 02-24-2021 01:32 PM

I had never heard of this, but a quick search finds a thread on it dating back to 2017. I think, due to the insane popularity of the 89UD Griffey now, that this will finally take off as an error card. Yes, it's just a print defect, but that didn't stop the Frank Thomas NNOF or Frank House Yellow Tiger.

I'm grabbing a couple.

swarmee 02-24-2021 03:43 PM

I don't think it will become valuable. It's just not interesting, and doesn't have a history of being chased after or looked for.

scmavl 02-24-2021 05:09 PM

You’re probably right, John. Although I did notice the 1990 Upper Deck Griffey without the copyright line on the back has skyrocketed. One just sold for $1600+ last week. I paid $400 or so for mine a couple months ago (both PSA 10s). Although that is a more glaring error than the little line on the ‘89.

bnorth 02-24-2021 06:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
With the rise in prices has this type of error gained in value? If so any idea of current value? I found these a few months ago when going through stuff I had not seen in a very long time.

The UD is a Don Baylor card with the Griffey overprint on the back.

The Star card has the Durham Bulls Brian Deak overprint on the back. Kinda cool because both cards are #9 The front has at least 2 overprints. One is upside down and the other is a Jose Canseco card the correct direction.

scmavl 02-25-2021 08:53 AM

Ben, I think I'd throw each of those on eBay with a $2000 BIN and accept best offers, then see what happens.

bnorth 02-25-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2073292)
Ben, I think I'd throw each of those on eBay with a $2000 BIN and accept best offers, then see what happens.

LOL, yes I seen the insane prices. Didn't see anything in the SOLD listings though. I might do that as I would sell them for way less than $2K each.