Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Rarely seen monster hits auction... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=296475)

pootshwan 02-10-2021 03:38 PM

Rarely seen monster hits auction...

Anyone else watching this card? Can't remember the last time I saw one at auction. This is probably going to break some records and set all time highs

Pop 24 :eek:

MU Wally 02-10-2021 09:01 PM

That seems a little out of control for a 'junk era' card, even if it is a 10.

pootshwan 02-11-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MU Wally (Post 2066931)
That seems a little out of control for a 'junk era' card, even if it is a 10.

Agreed. But I guess a few potential bidders don't see it that way. Crazy market we are in!

4reals 02-11-2021 03:07 PM

There are lots of different opinions as to when the start of the junk wax era began. I personally would not consider 1980 topps a member of this phrase. I’m curious, however, as to the year you think the era began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klrdds 02-11-2021 04:51 PM

This is not a junk wax card by any means and yes a very hard card to find in PSA 10.
Junk wax began IMO in 1987.

philliesphan 02-11-2021 04:55 PM

Such a cool card.

I'm the lucky / proud owner of one of the few 1973 Topps Schmidt cards graded PSA 10. Had a few people calling me this past Summer trying to get me to consign to auction, since none had appeared in a few years. Lo and behold one recently sold by Heritage, and another one is currently on the block.

It is interesting how the supply/demand dynamics play out in bringing certain cards to market. Surely, for example, there has been a proliferation of Jordan PSA 10 rookies recently - given the huge surge in price

hockeyhockey 02-11-2021 09:02 PM

i think i saw it at 20,000 a few days ago. totally nuts. also i'm an idiot for passing up a rickey PSA 8 for $100 a few months ago. thought it was a little OC for my liking, and ended up with a 7. can't believe the 8s are going for 5 hundy now. craziness.

Seven 02-11-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2067339)
i think i saw it at 20,000 a few days ago. totally nuts. also i'm an idiot for passing up a rickey PSA 8 for $100 a few months ago. thought it was a little OC for my liking, and ended up with a 7. can't believe the 8s are going for 5 hundy now. craziness.

I wouldn't feel too bad, because this can be said about almost any card in this current Market. Granted I'm more of a collector than a seller, so my perspective is more of "thank God I got it when I did."

pokerplyr80 02-11-2021 10:06 PM

9s were 300 when 10s were 30k. 9s are what, 3 or 4k now. Wouldn't be surprised if this goes a lot higher.

MU Wally 02-11-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4reals (Post 2067208)
There are lots of different opinions as to when the start of the junk wax era began. I personally would not consider 1980 topps a member of this phrase. I’m curious, however, as to the year you think the era began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you I am being harsh in applying the term to 1980, but I think that way from about 1978 until cards went all glossy (which is where my interest ends).

My feeling is that, from a collecting stand point (I'm not a seller), the difference between nearly 1 million (early 80's) and 3 million card print runs (late 80's) isn't as significant as the numerical difference indicates. If you believe the post on this site from JUrsaner on print runs (and if I'm reading it correctly) 800,000 of that card was produced. That's a significant supply. Of course, the 10 grade is the X factor here, but I'm guessing there is a significant supply of high grade protected but undergraded versions of this card out there still. Long term I think that will bear itself out in the price, just based on supply and demand.

Mike D. 02-12-2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2067339)

Wow, 8's are going for that much?! I just checked my records and I bought mine for $57 delivered on Christmas day (Henderson's B-day) 2016.

Kevin 02-12-2021 08:11 PM

What about the ones in the complete sets?

todeen 02-12-2021 09:08 PM

Wasn't there a thread recently discussing a certain company trying to corner the market on Henderson RCs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MU Wally 02-13-2021 09:35 AM

Would it be that hard to artificially boost the price for the more common grades of this card? You have this 10, get a few 'identity protected' bidders to have this high profile Ebay bidding war that ends with a crazy high price. The 'winner' gets their money back (or some of it and they keep the card) thru a different non-Ebay transaction. Then the organizer of the frenzy begins selling their 'stash' of grade 7-9 Rickey's, or even ungraded ones, at a significantly higher price citing this 100K plus sale of the 10.

Sorry if I am a cynic. If I heard someone on this site admit to placing one of those bids above 50K maybe I wouldn't think that way.

MU Wally 02-13-2021 02:05 PM

If your looking for a deal, I just noticed another Rickey 10 (Dmitri Young collection no less) that's at 95K on a non-Ebay auction site.

mortimer brewster 02-13-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MU Wally (Post 2067373)
I agree with you I am being harsh in applying the term to 1980, but I think that way from about 1978 until cards went all glossy (which is where my interest ends).

My feeling is that, from a collecting stand point (I'm not a seller), the difference between nearly 1 million (early 80's) and 3 million card print runs (late 80's) isn't as significant as the numerical difference indicates. If you believe the post on this site from JUrsaner on print runs (and if I'm reading it correctly) 800,000 of that card was produced. That's a significant supply. Of course, the 10 grade is the X factor here, but I'm guessing there is a significant supply of high grade protected but undergraded versions of this card out there still. Long term I think that will bear itself out in the price, just based on supply and demand.

Back in 1980 I bought hundreds of wax packs Cello packs and grocery packs and then purchased 3 vending boxes of cards. Still no complete set. But I ended up with 12 off centered Henderson rookie cards. Sold them at a Strongville auction back in 1992 for something like 35 dollars total.

There can be an argument for calling 1980 the start of the Junk Era. In the Complete Book of Baseball Cards (1976) by Steve Clark. It is Quoted that according to Topps company records in 1975 they sold 250,000,000 cards.

That figure probably includes other sports and non sports, But Baseball was their huge seller.

Fast forward to 1980 and Baseball card collecting started to explode with the yearly Beckett guide selling like hotcakes (I was elated the 1957 Koufax I bought for 2 bucks was now a whopping 20) and DEALERS sucking in collectors with this rookie card nonsense. I wouldn't be surprised if Topps printed a billion cards that year.

pootshwan 02-16-2021 01:16 AM

Ended last night over $180,00.... thoughts?

deweyinthehall 02-16-2021 04:50 AM

Insane. I watched the last 5 minutes as it jumped from 105K or something all the way to 180K. Just insane.

pokerplyr80 02-16-2021 01:11 PM

The one at heritage will probably go for even more. Crazy times!

jimjim 02-16-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MU Wally (Post 2067888)
Would it be that hard to artificially boost the price for the more common grades of this card? You have this 10, get a few 'identity protected' bidders to have this high profile Ebay bidding war that ends with a crazy high price. The 'winner' gets their money back (or some of it and they keep the card) thru a different non-Ebay transaction. Then the organizer of the frenzy begins selling their 'stash' of grade 7-9 Rickey's, or even ungraded ones, at a significantly higher price citing this 100K plus sale of the 10.

Sorry if I am a cynic. If I heard someone on this site admit to placing one of those bids above 50K maybe I wouldn't think that way.

I would wager this has been happening since last summer. A 10 sets a record breaking price. Domino effect results in people raising prices on lower grade cards, people have FOMO resulting in higher prices, which then bleeds into unopened and spurs increases in unopened product as people hope to get high grade cards. Happening right now with 1991 Upper Deck. Michael Jordan spiked in price and now unopened has gone up 2x-3x in two weeks. Complete market manipulation and frenzy.

pootshwan 02-18-2021 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deweyinthehall (Post 2069230)
Insane. I watched the last 5 minutes as it jumped from 105K or something all the way to 180K. Just insane.

I projected $150k a few days ago. Was actually surprised it went that high. The market is on fire

MU Wally 02-20-2021 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimjim (Post 2069547)
I would wager this has been happening since last summer. A 10 sets a record breaking price. Domino effect results in people raising prices on lower grade cards, people have FOMO resulting in higher prices, which then bleeds into unopened and spurs increases in unopened product as people hope to get high grade cards. Happening right now with 1991 Upper Deck. Michael Jordan spiked in price and now unopened has gone up 2x-3x in two weeks. Complete market manipulation and frenzy.

Comforting that I'm not the only thinking that is a possibility. With prices that high the temptation for manipulation is intense. No stress when you're hunting thru $1 bins!