Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Request: Lou Gehrig signature example (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=164305)

mschwade 02-27-2013 08:54 AM

Request: Lou Gehrig signature example

Fellow collectors, I come to you with a request. Does anyone have a circa 1922 example of a Lou Gehrig signature? I would also like to see any authentic examples between 1922 and 1929, preferably on a flat. Thanks for your assistance. If you don't want to share a scan publicly, feel free to send me an email to mschwade at gmail.

Thanks!
Matt

RichardSimon 02-27-2013 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A nice one from 1925.

cubsfan-budman 02-27-2013 09:08 AM

Lou has a really nice signature.

I've come around 180 degrees on this...the pre-war guys, on average, just have much nicer sigs that modern dudes.

Lou's is one of the best.

Also partial to Charley Gehringer. His sig is almost a work of art.

mschwade 02-27-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1095595)
A nice one from 1925.

Thanks Richard! Would still like to see any other examples that fall between the 22-29 timeframe. Thanks!

shelly 02-27-2013 09:46 AM

I would go to Hunt Auctions. They have all prior auctions listed. There are quite a few Gehrig's listed from every year he played.

HOF Auto Rookies 02-27-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1095595)
A nice one from 1925.

WOW! :eek:

Forever Young 02-27-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1095618)
I would go to Hunt Auctions. They have all prior auctions listed. There are quite a few Gehrig's listed from every year he played.

Agreed.. the best way to do it is go to final prices/past auctions of the major memorabilia auction houses to come up with examples. Legendary's site I find the easiest to navigate where Heritage and Leland is not to obad.. not as bad as Hunts. Hunt has great past items but their website/search engine could use some work to say the least.

Ben

Runscott 02-27-2013 03:29 PM

Here are two from 1927 - don't ask me why they look so different

David Atkatz 02-27-2013 03:38 PM

Scott... you're fixated on that ball, man. Ya gotta get over it!

isaac2004 02-27-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1095807)
Agreed.. the best way to do it is go to final prices/past auctions of the major memorabilia auction houses to come up with examples. Legendary's site I find the easiest to navigate where Heritage and Leland is not to obad.. not as bad as Hunts. Hunt has great past items but their website/search engine could use some work to say the least.

Ben

That's where my spreadsheet comes in :)

cottnat 02-27-2013 03:54 PM

1927 version on a ball.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/v...at/Panel2.jpeg

RichardSimon 02-27-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1095813)
Here are two from 1927 - don't ask me why they look so different

He has convinced me :D:D.

David Atkatz 02-27-2013 04:43 PM

1929. (And... what's that? He's signed with... WHAT? GREEN INK?)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps97fa8278.jpg

David Atkatz 02-27-2013 04:46 PM

It's faded, but on this 1923 ball, right under Ernie Johnson, is a rookie Gehrig.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...3oalgehrig.jpg

David Atkatz 02-27-2013 04:52 PM

A thirteen-year-old Gehrig, 1917.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...tz/124a_lg.jpg

Forever Young 02-27-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1095867)

David.. I lost this in paragon awhile back. I couldn't find any exemplars to support it so I was conservative in my bidding. Did you win it by chance? There has been another around tge same era that came out since that I believe i was underbidder on in heritage. It was too rich for my blood. It was damn near identical to this one do I believe they are legit. Whoever won this did very well IMO.

David Atkatz 02-27-2013 05:13 PM

It wasn't me, Ben. I own the first two I posted, but not the third.

Runscott 02-27-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1095860)
1929. (And... what's that? He's signed with... WHAT? GREEN INK?)

Interesting. Now that I see the one from the green ink ball, I finally see it.

Could you please post a Lazzeri signature in green ink, so that it will look real too?

Forever Young 02-27-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1095878)
It wasn't me, Ben. I own the first two I posted, but not the third.

Ahh.. Well those aren't too shabby either;)

David Atkatz 02-27-2013 06:15 PM

Hey, Scott. Why don't you post an over-under comparison of the '27 Gehrig on cottnat's ball with the green '29?
They won't look that similar either.

(But they're both good.)

Runscott 02-27-2013 06:30 PM

David, I'm not trying to be a wise @ss (any more than anyone else is), but I think that ball still has a lot of mileage left.

"I never did get over Earl not asking me to sign his ball. I even had my own green ink pen ready, as I wanted to save it as a souvenir to remember him by. Heck, he even got the back-up catchers to sign, and I know for a fact he didn't get along with Grabowski. After everyone else had signed, Earl walked over to me and held out the ball with the sweet spot showing - 'Hey Ray - would you mind writing the positions on this thing for me - I can't remember if I play LF or CF and the game's about to start.' I kept that ball in my underwear for the entire game.

RichardSimon 02-27-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1095921)
David, I'm not trying to be a wise @ss (any more than anyone else is), but I think that ball still has a lot of mileage left.

"I never did get over Earl not asking me to sign his ball. I even had my own green ink pen ready, as I wanted to save it as a souvenir to remember him by. Heck, he even got the back-up catchers to sign, and I know for a fact he didn't get along with Grabowski. After everyone else had signed, Earl walked over to me and held out the ball with the sweet spot showing - 'Hey Ray - would you mind writing the positions on this thing for me - I can't remember if I play LF or CF and the game's about to start.' I kept that ball in my underwear for the entire game.

Funny stuff :D:D.

JimStinson 02-28-2013 06:25 AM

JimStinson

2 Attachment(s)
Lou Gehrig 1929 Yankees team sheet & 1938 Players contract, contrast the difference in a 10 year span. Note too the Jacob Ruppert on the contract is proxy signed by Ed Barrow

GrayGhost 02-28-2013 07:21 AM

I feel Lou Gehrig has one of the most beautiful autographs ever in baseball. So simple and flowing, like Babe, Joe D and Mickey were.

Isn't it amazing how beautiful signatures were back then, compared to the BS Child like scribbling so many of today's guys call a "signature". Just another reason I LOVE THE OLD BASEBALL STUFF AND ITS PLAYERS

RichardSimon 02-28-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 1096129)
I feel Lou Gehrig has one of the most beautiful autographs ever in baseball. So simple and flowing, like Babe, Joe D and Mickey were.

Isn't it amazing how beautiful signatures were back then, compared to the BS Child like scribbling so many of today's guys call a "signature". Just another reason I LOVE THE OLD BASEBALL STUFF AND ITS PLAYERS

Just slightly OT,,, I don't deal in or collect modern Hollywood but the scribbles of baseball players look beautiful in comparison to the scribbles of today's film stars. And those scribbles are a forgers paradise from what I have been told.

JimStinson 02-28-2013 08:36 AM

JimStinson

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 1096129)

And to make matters worse with contemporary ball players you have the scribbled signature and the scribbled "Get the hell away from me" signature. And using a side by side comparision its nearly impossible to believe the same person signed them