Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: Got good and bad news (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165320)

T205 GB 03-14-2013 02:57 PM

OT: Got good and bad news

The good news first. About 2 months ago my oldest daughter was asked to write a paper on what her country meant to her as part of a trip this summer to DC. Yesterday she came through the door and told us that because of her paper she was selected to be part of the wreath hanging ceremony at Arlington Cemetery with the Changing of the Guard. Being prior military myself, and from a long line of service men and women, the pride swelled till I felt like my chest was going to explode. What a proud and honorable thing to get to do.

The bad news is my gf and I will not be able to attend the Nationals this yr as we had planned. This would have been her first National. I have arranged a surprise trip to DC for her so we can go watch it in person instead of a recorded video. I am still going to try but the finances may not work out.

I just wanted to share my proud moment with the 54 family.

Cardboard Junkie 03-14-2013 03:01 PM

EFF that "national" Dave (Single parent of one, (daughter)).
Congratulations to her, and you.

cardinalcollector 03-14-2013 03:16 PM

In my world there is only one thing more important than this hobby. That's family. Congrats.

smotan_02 03-14-2013 03:33 PM

Incredible! Please tell her thank you from this service member.

This experience is going to be much better than the Nationals.

Ease 03-14-2013 03:34 PM

That's awesome Andrew! DC is great, I grew up there, so much history. Its a great experience to stand in the same spots on the same floors that Jefferson, Washington, etc stood. Don't miss the museum of natural history and the air & space museum.

peterose4hof 03-14-2013 03:36 PM

That's incredibly awesome! You have every right to be full of pride. This is a once-in-a-lifetime event. You can always do the National next year.

Tcards-Please 03-14-2013 03:37 PM

Andrew,

That's a great story. I'm sure it will be a lasting memory for her. I've participated in several funerals at Arlington and it brings a tear every time I go out there.

I would say she could take a tour of the White House, but it might not be open :rolleyes:

If you are able to make it out here, you could make it to the "Nationals", just go a couple miles north and you could take in a Washington Nationals game ;)

r/
Frank

Sean 03-14-2013 03:39 PM

That's great news Andrew. Besides, there will be another National next year.:)

HRBAKER 03-14-2013 03:41 PM

Really, no bad news there!
Congrats to her and you!

T205 GB 03-14-2013 03:54 PM

She is actually going with school. Neither her or her mom know yet that we are going to be there. I plan on surprising her mom with the tickets and then surprising her at Arlington. We unfortunately won't be able to hang out much with her.

Clark7781 03-14-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1103316)
The good news first. About 2 months ago my oldest daughter was asked to write a paper on what her country meant to her as part of a trip this summer to DC. Yesterday she came through the door and told us that because of her paper she was selected to be part of the wreath hanging ceremony at Arlington Cemetery with the Changing of the Guard. Being prior military myself, and from a long line of service men and women, the pride swelled till I felt like my chest was going to explode. What a proud and honorable thing to get to do.

The bad news is my gf and I will not be able to attend the Nationals this yr as we had planned. This would have been her first National. I have arranged a surprise trip to DC for her so we can go watch it in person instead of a recorded video. I am still going to try but the finances may not work out.

Not bad news at all. There will be other Nationals...but this may very well be a once in a lifetime event. Having seen this ceremony many times, it never fails to fill me with utter pride to be an American and remember what my forefathers did to give me the life I have now.

EvilKing00 03-14-2013 07:20 PM

thats great news man! You must be so proud!

AndyG09 03-14-2013 07:23 PM

Congrats Andrew. No worries on the National. There will always be more of those.

Best,

Andy

autograf 03-14-2013 07:50 PM

This will be my 24th in a row but I would start a new streak next year if I was presented with the same opportunity. Great choice and congrats!

Jantz 03-14-2013 09:28 PM

Andrew

Congrats on your daughter's achievement!

Sorry to hear that you can't make the National.

Even though you will be in DC, you can still butt-dial me at 3 am in the morning like you did 2 years ago at the last Chicago National! :D ;)

Jantz

ethicsprof 03-14-2013 09:39 PM

andrew

I know that you are a mighty proud dad.
I'm glad to hear of this great honor.
The li'l one certainly deserves every accolade.
She has gone through so much for her years and continues to do so well.
all the best,
barry

T205 GB 03-15-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethicsprof (Post 1103496)
I know that you are a mighty proud dad.
I'm glad to hear of this great honor.
The li'l one certainly deserves every accolade.
She has gone through so much for her years and continues to do so well.
all the best,
barry

Barry I actually have 3 daughters. 14, 7, and 5. The oldest is doing the wreath.

My youngest Kadence has leukemia and I am glad to report she is doing great. A few downs lately with colds and stuff but still doing well. She's a trooper and is making a strong recovery.

teetwoohsix 03-15-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1103316)

Congrats Andrew that is awesome !!!!! And, thank you for your service. I have a feeling that this will be way more of a special event for you & the family- the National will be there next year. You have alot to be proud of, thanks for sharing this story !!

Sincerely, Clayton

Jewish-collector 03-15-2013 06:17 AM

Andrew,
Great news about your daughter's achievement !!! We will miss you at the National, but we'll see you next year !!!

tennisguy 03-15-2013 10:07 AM

Great experience!

Congrats to her! The heck with the National! It's overrated in my eyes anyway.

Tomman1961 03-15-2013 10:17 AM

Congrats

Congratulations to your family. My family has also been able to love our children's achievements. So I can understand how proud you are. Relish it. And boast about it. Enjoy it. -The Tracey family.

Bestdj777 03-15-2013 10:27 AM

Congratulations and enjoy DC!

ethicsprof 03-15-2013 11:54 AM

andrew

mighty happy to hear that Kadence is continuing to do well!
what a great family you have and an amazing trip ahead of you!
all the best,
barry

brob28 03-15-2013 12:24 PM

Andrew, just another Net54 member supporting your decision (a no-brainer to me). Watching a well earned distinction like that is a once-in a life time event, the National will be back.

Congratulations on your daughters achievement.

howard38 03-15-2013 01:58 PM

deadballfreaK 03-15-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 1103659)
Andrew, just another Net54 member supporting your decision (a no-brainer to me). Watching a well earned distinction like that is a once-in a life time event, the National will be back.

Congratulations on your daughters achievement.

+1

mrvster 03-15-2013 09:37 PM

Andrew....

Perfect decision.....there will be many more nationals....this is a once in a lifetime opportunity you can't miss...

btw....if it wasn't for our armed forces, who know's if there would even be a forum;)!!

I Love MY COUNTRY also....and really take my hat off to all that has served:)

Congrats Andrew

T205 GB 03-15-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howard38 (Post 1103688)
That's fantastic...any chance you'll post her paper here?

Going to get a copy of it and post it at the beginning. I will put a note on the thread title when I get it done

toppcat 03-16-2013 08:01 AM

A real easy choice-congrats to you and your daughter!

T205 GB 03-17-2013 01:30 PM

She said she won't let me post her paper. I'm not sure if it will be published for the paper or not. Sorry guys. That's a teen for ya.

tedzan 03-18-2013 07:00 PM

Andrew

Just had a chance to read of your oldest Daughter's good news. Great news !

Also, good to hear that Kadence is doing well.

And, has Melody arrived at the 1/2 way mark on her T206 collection ?

GOD BLESS you and your Family.

TED Z