Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Auto question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=293008)

jchcollins 12-07-2020 12:30 PM

Auto question

So, I know not much about modern and even less about autographs, but here is my question:

Should I be concerned on this that at the beginning of the "J" in his name it's like the pen skips out a little bit / is weaker? Overall I think this is a very nice auto, but I've read where like PSA/DNA might not give it a "10" due to things like this. Beckett also sometimes gives autos a "9" instead of a 10 and I know this ticks people off / makes the card generally less desireable.

I bought this because I'm a Cubs fan and I like the card; other than that 99% of what I collect is vintage. Would this concern you? The card is a 10 obviously otherwise. Thanks.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...1f3f7c0c09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

todeen 12-07-2020 12:49 PM

Doesn't bother me. It's a nice looking card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

packs 12-07-2020 02:00 PM

Probably the number one reason not to have the autograph graded.

riggs336 12-07-2020 03:40 PM

I wouldn't try to improve on perfection. Its gorgeous. Be happy.

jchcollins 12-07-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riggs336 (Post 2043020)
I wouldn't try to improve on perfection. Its gorgeous. Be happy.

(Selfishly) the type of response I was looking for. Thank you!

PS - I'm intrigued on the quote in your signature line. Can you tell me more? :)

brett 75 12-07-2020 09:43 PM

Auto

Somewhere Free Wheelin’ Franklin is smiling. :p

Bill77 12-07-2020 10:19 PM

I just did a google search for his autograph and almost all of his autos look like that. Looks like he signs J . Baez.

jchcollins 12-08-2020 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill77 (Post 2043173)
I just did a google search for his autograph and almost all of his autos look like that. Looks like he signs J . Baez.

Correct on the J.

I'm referring to the ink quality / pen pressure on the letter J. There is a small area where the loop crosses over the stem where the ink starts to get lighter. My question was, how would this affect pure autograph grading? (In this case the card is graded, but not the auto separately).

Honestly this for me is where grading paranoia probably starts to cross a line. I'm not much of an auto guy, but did want to pick up some of my favorite current players. A question like this is not one I would have even known to ask 20 years ago / before the adoption of mainstream grading. I figure at worst if this auto was graded on it's own, it might get a 9 - and realistically that's still more than enough for me. The card itself overall is obviously very nice.

jchcollins 12-08-2020 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brett 75 (Post 2043164)
Somewhere Free Wheelin’ Franklin is smiling. :p

Sorry, you're going to have to explain that one to me.

brett 75 12-08-2020 07:02 AM

Auto

The signature line in Riggs336 post is from a comic book. It’s funny because it’s not exactly what I would expect in a baseball card forum. When I saw it I laughed. The quote was from a character named Free Wheelin’ Franklin. He used the word “dope” , insert that in the place of baseball cards.
Brett

jchcollins 12-08-2020 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brett 75 (Post 2043221)
the signature line in riggs336 post is from a comic book. It’s funny because it’s not exactly what i would expect in a baseball card forum. When i saw it i laughed. The quote was from a character named free wheelin’ franklin. He used the word “dope” , insert that in the place of baseball cards.
Brett

lol.

riggs336 12-08-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 2043028)
(Selfishly) the type of response I was looking for. Thank you!

PS - I'm intrigued on the quote in your signature line. Can you tell me more? :)

John, here's a link that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...Freak_Brothers

jchcollins 12-08-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riggs336 (Post 2043366)
John, here's a link that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...Freak_Brothers

Thanks. So do the Freak Brothers actually like baseball cards or is that a euphemism for drugs? :D

riggs336 12-08-2020 02:28 PM

You'd have to ask them 😉.

jchcollins 12-08-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riggs336 (Post 2043380)
You'd have to ask them 😉.

I think I got it. :)

Gary Dunaier 12-12-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 2043204)
I'm referring to the ink quality / pen pressure on the letter J. There is a small area where the loop crosses over the stem where the ink starts to get lighter.

If I saw the photo of your card outside of the context of this thread, I wouldn't have thought anything was amiss.

Kaneen 12-20-2020 01:04 PM

"Concerned?"

Your question about being concerned really boils down to three things:

1. Are you planning to submit this card to have an auto grade added to the card grade?

If that is your intention, and getting a 10 auto grade is of great importance to you, then yes, you should be concerned. From what I can tell, pretty much the only things TPGs "grade" when it comes to autographs is how well the pen worked, is it smudged/smeared, or is it faded. So this one will probably not come back as a 10.

2. By "should I be concerned?" are you thinking primarily about resell value?

3. If you are not planning to submit the card to add an auto grade, and you are not primarily viewing it as an investment piece...then are you personally unhappy with the quality of the signature and therefore cannot accept having this card in your personal collection?

How you answer those 3 questions will determine whether or not you should be "concerned."

PS. It's a great looking card.