Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   2015 RC class HOF potential (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=326848)

Peter_Spaeth 10-27-2022 11:01 AM

2015 RC class HOF potential

We recently did this for 2014 which is a fairly strong class. It's probably too soon to consider 2015, but just for fun, I can think of Correa and Lindor who are still at least in the running after 8 seasons although obviously far from likely at this point. Anyone else?

G1911 10-27-2022 12:37 PM

I think that’s it, right there.

Kris Bryant stacks up better than I expected but there’s not much else. Gallo, Russell, Syndergaard, Baez, Pederson, I don’t really see any of the guys who had a RC following getting there or having a good chance of it at this point.

packs 10-27-2022 01:15 PM

Surprisingly weak 117 OPS+ for Lindor. Wow.

Peter_Spaeth 10-27-2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2277957)
Surprisingly weak 117 OPS+ for Lindor. Wow.

36 WAR at age 28 is good though, no?

packs 10-27-2022 02:10 PM

I guess it depends on the preferred stat. I tend to see OPS+ as the more neutral stat that I can actually understand.

D. Bergin 10-27-2022 02:57 PM

Rough year. I don't see any shoe-ins at this point. Correa has proven to be injury prone. Hasn't played 150 games since 2016 and not even to 1000 hits yet. He's going to have to be a lot more durable and step it up a bit to have a chance.

Lindor has had some up and down years, and yeah, just looking at his raw numbers, they deceptively look a little more impressive then his OPS stats actually indicate. His defense helps boost his WAR numbers up a little bit.

BobC 10-27-2022 03:05 PM

Lindor should have stayed in Cleveland, he hasn't played his best since leaving. He went for the money though, and maybe to not play second fiddle to Jose Ramirez. I think the culture and team in Cleveland was better suited for him, and the fans loved him. Plus, with the recent rule changes and how MLB looks to be pushing the game, he is a perfect fit for the Cleveland team, the culture, and the way they play. Cleveland this year debuted a new kid who just perfectly fit the leadoff spot, Steven Kwan, who probably won't get ROY, but will get votes and should be in the running. With someone like that, it would have freed Lindor to drop down in the order and allow him to better complement Ramirez, and vice versa, and also allow them to protect each other even more. And they're both switch hitters to boot.

And with the youngest team in baseball, Cleveland would definitely be looking good for years to come. Lindor turns 29 next month, and Ramirez only just turned 30 in September, so they're both in their prime with a lot left in their tanks. If only....................

Mike D. 10-27-2022 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2277974)
I guess it depends on the preferred stat. I tend to see OPS+ as the more neutral stat that I can actually understand.

Do you kind of do a mental adjustment for position/defense? Like, 117 is pretty good for a shortstop, not so great for a 1B, LF, or DH.

packs 10-27-2022 04:05 PM

No, not really. Correa's OPS+ is at 129 and I did generally "feel" like he was the better player without comparing them.

Lindor has a few big seasons but he also has two seasons where his OPS+ was 106 and 100 (leaving out the shortened 2020 season).

Not to say Lindor isn't a good player. I'm just surprised his OPS+ is a soft number like that.

Mike D. 10-27-2022 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2278008)
No, not really. Correa's OPS+ is at 129 and I did generally "feel" like he was the better player without comparing them.

Lindor has a few big seasons but he also has two seasons where his OPS+ was 106 and 100 (leaving out the shortened 2020 season).

Not to say Lindor isn't a good player. I'm just surprised his OPS+ is a soft number like that.

And obviously, when comparing shortstops, no position adjustment required.

I think Correa has a shot, but is nowhere near a sure thing yet. But yeah, other than that 2015 doesn't have much for HOF contenders.

lowpopper 11-05-2022 09:45 PM

Lindor peaked 5 years ago