Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   hockey forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=291072)

Ron 10-29-2020 08:44 AM

hockey forum
 
Does anyone one know what happened to the vintage hockey forum I can not seem to find it on the web

irv 10-29-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 2030184)
Does anyone one know what happened to the vintage hockey forum I can not seem to find it on the web

It's been gone for a long time now. It was once believed the site was just getting a makeover/update, but that no longer holds true as way too much time has passed.
Maybe some others have more info but this is all I know.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275904

samosa4u 10-29-2020 10:46 AM

Somebody hacked into the site and just wiped it clean. All the hockey guys are on Facebook now. Look for the following groups:

- Vintage Hockey & Sports Cards Plus
- Vintage Hockey Collector Talk
- Vintage Hockey Autograph and Card Collectors
- VHC - Vintage Hockey Collectors

strohman99 11-25-2020 10:48 AM

Hockey Forum
 
The Vintage Hockey Forum was truly awesome! I spoke to Jim at the time that it went down. He didn't know what had happened at the time but he was hoping to get it back up. He was looking for the right person to fix it but it never happened.

To me, the Facebook groups just aren't the same. I do see some of the guys from the VHF, but not all of them. The new groups are more about buying and selling, but I don't see the same kind of vintage stuff that I used to see years ago on the old forum. I have met some new guys though who are serious collectors.

Throttlesteer 11-25-2020 02:58 PM

I miss out on a lot of cool hockey stuff because I refuse to have a Facebook account. I wish there was another option.

Tomi 11-25-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strohman99 (Post 2038677)
The Vintage Hockey Forum was truly awesome! I spoke to Jim at the time that it went down. He didn't know what had happened at the time but he was hoping to get it back up. He was looking for the right person to fix it but it never happened.

To me, the Facebook groups just aren't the same. I do see some of the guys from the VHF, but not all of them. The new groups are more about buying and selling, but I don't see the same kind of vintage stuff that I used to see years ago on the old forum. I have met some new guys though who are serious collectors.

Hi Earl. It was a great forum with a ton of information. If you are in contact with the former members maybe you can point them here and we can just use this forum. I would love to see the new pick ups from the guys. I just can't do Facebook.
Thanks, Damir

irv 11-25-2020 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomi (Post 2038841)
Hi Earl. It was a great forum with a ton of information. If you are in contact with the former members maybe you can point them here and we can just use this forum. I would love to see the new pick ups from the guys. I just can't do Facebook.
Thanks, Damir

I'm just a little fish with my collection and knowledge so getting some of those guys here would be great! :)

Nunzio11 11-25-2020 07:58 PM

Agree 100%. Not on Facebook and never will be. Love it here on net54. If the hockey conversation and hockey bst picked up not sure I would ever leave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2038772)
I miss out on a lot of cool hockey stuff because I refuse to have a Facebook account. I wish there was another option.


Ron 11-26-2020 09:05 AM

Agreed this would be a good spot to get it going
maybe with its own title not bunch it in with basketball etc
I too have no plans of being on Facebook

samosa4u 11-26-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strohman99 (Post 2038677)
The Vintage Hockey Forum was truly awesome! I spoke to Jim at the time that it went down. He didn't know what had happened at the time but he was hoping to get it back up. He was looking for the right person to fix it but it never happened.

To me, the Facebook groups just aren't the same. I do see some of the guys from the VHF, but not all of them. The new groups are more about buying and selling, but I don't see the same kind of vintage stuff that I used to see years ago on the old forum. I have met some new guys though who are serious collectors.

Agreed. VHF was great! Not too many people posted over there, but whenever somebody did, it was worth a read! Facebook, in comparison, does have groups with hundreds or even thousands of members, however, most of them don't know sh*t and don't have sh*t. Sorry if I sound like an a**hole, but it can get tiring looking at $10 commons day after day.

Tomi 11-26-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2039093)
Agreed. VHF was great! Not too many people posted over there, but whenever somebody did, it was worth a read! Facebook, in comparison, does have groups with hundreds or even thousands of members, however, most of them don't know sh*t and don't have sh*t. Sorry if I sound like an a**hole, but it can get tiring looking at $10 commons day after day.

If it's vintage or pre war I'm good, but the new shiny stuff is just not my thing at all.

Eric72 11-27-2020 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd definitely be interested in expanding the hockey talk here on Net54. My card knowledge is more or less focused on 70s/80s/90s; however, I do appreciate the older material.

Speaking of which, doesn't Leon encourage us to include a card picture in every thread? :)

grainsley 11-28-2020 11:06 AM

Like many here, no FB for me......and I don't like wearing sunglasses to look at new stuff, I am pre-1980 all the way, and refuse to set foot in the '80's, I do wish this hockey board was more active, as well as Hobby Insider.

Grant

Throttlesteer 11-28-2020 12:24 PM

I'm ok with vintage and modern. I collect the players I watch and appreciate. The 80's have some great offerings and they aren't shiny. Early 80's OPC can be REALLY tough. I enjoy vintage for the history, but most of us didn't get to see Rocket Richard, Doug Harvey, or even Mr. Hockey play.

Eric72 11-28-2020 04:03 PM

What year, generally speaking, is the line of demarcation between vintage and modern?

For me, it's 1988 at the latest. Anything after that, Wayne Gretzky appears as an LA King. Prior to that, there are Gretzky cards in an Oilers uniform, Roy rookies, Lemieux rookies, Pelle Lindbergh cards, etc. I just can't bring myself to call them "modern" cards.

I could see 79/80 being the start of the modern hockey card era. Along with the Gretzky rookie, there are WHA entries into an NHL set, the last regular card of Gordie Howe, and there's a distinctly different "look and feel" to cards when compared to cards from prior years. Perhaps it's the fact that many key rookies from the early 80s played long and impactful careers. Their names were still relevant well into the 1990s.

smallpaul2002 11-28-2020 04:21 PM

I really enjoyed being a member of the vintage hockey forum. I hooked up with a few members there at the Sports Card Expo. I'm more than wiling to BST here, and use this forum as our marketplace. I'm personally not selling anything now, but I'm looking for 2 cards to complete a PSA graded set of 1954 Topps hockey. Looking for PSA 7's of #15 PAUL RONTY and #58 TERRY SAWCHUK.

grainsley 11-28-2020 04:26 PM

I generally use 1980 as my cutoff for vintage, just before the onslaught of mass production and numerous other sets coming to market. Obviously it is up to the individual of course.

Grant

AubreyFerguson 11-30-2020 09:09 AM

Definition of vintage
 
I think it depends on our age...Iím in my 60s so vintage to me in hockey terms is pre expansion 1967. So vintage is yoy age minus 50 years. 😎

While Iím commenting canít resist given our Bee Hive hockey book a plug; you can check it out at https://beehivegoldenyears.com/. Great Christmas gift to yourself.

Jewish-collector 11-30-2020 09:33 AM

It's too bad these guys haven't created a really good forum for vintage hockey, because they have a great site for hockey stats.

https://www.hockeydb.com/

irv 11-30-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 2040263)
It's too bad these guys haven't created a really good forum for vintage hockey, because they have a great site for hockey stats.

https://www.hockeydb.com/

They do have a forum but it looks like it is pretty quiet. A dedicated, hockey forum only, like Vintage cards was, is what is needed back.

strohman99 11-30-2020 04:34 PM

Hockey Forum
 
I'm on some of the FB groups. They can be a good place for selling odds and ends and I occasionally pick up a nice card, but not very often. There are a couple of vintage groups on FB and their cut off is 1990.

One surprise for me is that the price of rookies from the early 90's has really taken off, especially 1990. For the most part this happens when they are PSA 10's. I actually see some guys calling 1990 vintage now!

Jim F is still around even without the forum. He got on Facebook briefly, but didn't stay long. Said it just wasn't for him, which sounds a lot like you guys too! I just found this forum, but I'll try to check in periodically!

Good to talk to some real hockey collectors, especially the guys i used to know from the Vintage Hockey Forum!

irv 11-30-2020 05:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AubreyFerguson (Post 2040256)
I think it depends on our age...Iím in my 60s so vintage to me in hockey terms is pre expansion 1967. So vintage is yoy age minus 50 years. 😎

While Iím commenting canít resist given our Bee Hive hockey book a plug; you can check it out at https://beehivegoldenyears.com/. Great Christmas gift to yourself.

I somehow missed this post earlier and missed the Beehive link.
I will be sure to check it out as I currently have around 250 of them.
Nothing rare/expensive but some nice nonetheless. (pics below) Welcome to the site Aubrey. Have we talked/conversed before? I know I talked to quite a few guys back in 2016 when I first joined this site but most names escape me now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by strohman99 (Post 2040398)
I'm on some of the FB groups. They can be a good place for selling odds and ends and I occasionally pick up a nice card, but not very often. There are a couple of vintage groups on FB and their cut off is 1990.

One surprise for me is that the price of rookies from the early 90's has really taken off, especially 1990. For the most part this happens when they are PSA 10's. I actually see some guys calling 1990 vintage now!

Jim F is still around even without the forum. He got on Facebook briefly, but didn't stay long. Said it just wasn't for him, which sounds a lot like you guys too! I just found this forum, but I'll try to check in periodically!

Good to talk to some real hockey collectors, especially the guys i used to know from the Vintage Hockey Forum!

I am also on a Vintage card buyers/sellers site on Face Book as well and have also purchased some nice cards.
Lately for me, however, I have just been reading/looking and posting some of my new gets.

samosa4u 11-30-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strohman99 (Post 2040398)

Jim F is still around even without the forum. He got on Facebook briefly, but didn't stay long. Said it just wasn't for him, which sounds a lot like you guys too! I just found this forum, but I'll try to check in periodically!

Jim is still on Facebook. His group is called Vintage Hockey Collector Talk.

Jim F 11-30-2020 11:02 PM

Well, if Earl and Aubrey are over here now, the hockey talk can definitely get more interesting.
I've seen a few others from the hockey forum here too. This is a way better venue than facebook.

Ron 12-01-2020 10:20 AM

hockey forum
 
Well, looks like this hockey forum thread may have some legs to get going.
To try to get back to something like the vintage hockey forum had going.
If someone knows the person who runs net 54 maybe they can see about getting a separate heading under the water cooler section for us.
if this does not happen i guess we can keep replying to this thread with our finds, wants, sales, info, comments, news, etc

Eric72 12-01-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 2040618)
Well, looks like this hockey forum thread may have some legs to get going.
To try to get back to something like the vintage hockey forum had going.
If someone knows the person who runs net 54 maybe they can see about getting a separate heading under the water cooler section for us.
if this does not happen i guess we can keep replying to this thread with our finds, wants, sales, info, comments, news, etc

I'll ask Leon. However, adding a section involves more than one might think. No promises....but I'll ask him.

strohman99 12-01-2020 08:01 PM

Bst???
 
Is there a section for Buy/Sell/Trade in the Hockey section? (I mean Hockey/Basketball/Tennis Cards!)

camaro69 12-01-2020 08:44 PM

Most people put there B/S/T right in with the hockey talk. But really we are suppose to use the last section of the B/S/T above that is a catch all for all sports other than baseball.

Eric72 12-01-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strohman99 (Post 2040836)
Is there a section for Buy/Sell/Trade in the Hockey section? (I mean Hockey/Basketball/Tennis Cards!)

Generally speaking, hockey BST posts (mixed in with "other" things) can be found here:

https://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

or, for 1980-present (again, mixed in) they can be found here:

https://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Leon 12-01-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 2040618)
Well, looks like this hockey forum thread may have some legs to get going.
To try to get back to something like the vintage hockey forum had going.
If someone knows the person who runs net 54 maybe they can see about getting a separate heading under the water cooler section for us.
if this does not happen i guess we can keep replying to this thread with our finds, wants, sales, info, comments, news, etc

I have been asked by a few folks now in pm's, and have now seen this thread, so I am open to giving a dedicated hockey forum a section for a while (at least) to see how it goes. It if has legs and folks post it will stay, if not, then it might go.

If nothing happens the new section can be reverted :). Let me look into it.... thanks yawl

UPDATE - edited to add that I went ahead and just changed the least used forum to the hockey forum and juggled some others. Older threads might not carry over but it's a dedicated hockey space....

Eric72 12-02-2020 05:56 AM

Thank you, Leon. As always, we appreciate everything you do. I (and hopefully others) will begin posting our hockey content in the new section.

LetĒs hit the ice, boys.

irv 12-02-2020 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2040862)
I have been asked by a few folks now in pm's, and have now seen this thread, so I am open to giving a dedicated hockey forum a section for a while (at least) to see how it goes. It if has legs and folks post it will stay, if not, then it might go.

If nothing happens the new section can be reverted :). Let me look into it.... thanks yawl

UPDATE - edited to add that I went ahead and just changed the least used forum to the hockey forum and juggled some others. Older threads might not carry over but it's a dedicated hockey space....

Thanks Leon! :)

EDIT: is there anyway you can change the title/section wording as the old hockey section still reads hockey and this one reads basketball.

Leon 12-02-2020 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2040928)
Thanks Leon! :)

EDIT: is there anyway you can change the title/section wording as the old hockey section still reads hockey and this one reads basketball.

This isn't the hockey forum any longer. It is the one below this one that says Hockey (only)...... It was the least used forum. Just look at the headings but there shouldn't be a need to post hockey in this section anymore.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:33 AM.