Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ebay question???? Auction disappeared?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=90056)

Archive 06-22-2008 09:45 AM

Ebay question???? Auction disappeared??

Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>Have an Ebay question. I was tracking some cards and had those auctions placed in MY Ebay page<br />to watch. Woke up this morning and they are gone without a trace. Totally removed from My Ebay <br />page. I even went into the sellers past auctions and researched them in Ebay's ended auctions and <br />see no history on them anywhere. Can auctions be zapped by a seller and then have no history of ever been listed. <br />If so how would they be erased from MY Ebay page without me doing it myself.<br />Normally when a seller ends an auction you are tracking in My Ebay it will simply show as auction ended but still be saved in your page. Has anyone ever experience this before and can it be done???<br /><br />Tony<br />

Archive 06-22-2008 09:54 AM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Tony - to the best of my knowledge, the only way for a listing to be "zapped" as you describe is by ebay. A seller can end a listing early, but it's traces will still remain. Ebay makes listings disappear when they violate their TOS.

Archive 06-22-2008 09:55 AM

Posted By: <b>Bottom of the Ninth</b><p>They only do that when they suspend a seller.

Archive 06-22-2008 09:59 AM

Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>No, as far as I know a seller can not simply make his listing vannish. Most likel, ebay ended the auction for technical reasons. These can vary from there having been some false or misleading information in the listing to the seller possibly using spam keywords, to copyright infringement issues to even more obscure reasons. I have had auctions ended by ebay because the item was made of an animal on endangered species list, even though the item I was selling was over 100 years old. Ebay even ended an auction I was doing once for a Topps Red back 1957 Planes Sikorsky Helicopter card because some lawyer at Sikorsky said I was infringing on copyright. All I could say was "Huh?" and move on<br /><br />Tom, EastHamptonAuctions

Archive 06-22-2008 10:08 AM

Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>But how would they be erased from my own personal Ebay page without me doing it myself??<br />Iv'e been on Ebay a long long time and I have never had an auction I'm tracking disappear<br />without a trace from MY Ebay page unless I were to delete it myself.<br />Was anyone else tracking or see the two raw T206 Cobb's that were scheduled to end this evening.<br />They kinda stuck out like a soar thumb so I'm sure someone else saw them. <br />(Red portrait and bat on pose...)

Archive 06-22-2008 10:09 AM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Tony - I was watching those Cobbs as well - ebay "zapped" them.

Archive 06-22-2008 10:16 AM

Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>Matt -<br />They looked good and so do the remaining raw cards he has.<br />I even emailed the seller a couple times and had a couple<br />nice conversations with him....<br />Just never had auctions erased from My Ebay page even when<br />Ebay zapps em'.......<br /><br />

Archive 06-22-2008 10:18 AM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Tony - I agree that they looked good. Perhaps the T206 Cobb is on ebay's list of cards that may not be listed raw?

Archive 06-22-2008 10:18 AM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Maybe they were raw cards on ebay's target list of unacceptable raw cards?

Archive 06-22-2008 10:24 AM

Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>Leon -<br />Is there really such a list??? I wasn't aware of this.<br />So a seller can't sell a raw T206 Cobb if he has one??<br />If so that's crazy.......

Archive 06-22-2008 10:26 AM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Absolutely there is...It's been posted on the board before. I bet one of our members will be able to find it and post it again? This "list" is a fairly recent ebay phenomenon I believe......

Archive 06-22-2008 10:33 AM

Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>I guess what strikes me odd about this list is that I've seen far more valuable raw cards<br />sold on Ebay than a raw VG T206 red Cobbie Portrait. <br /><br />

Archive 06-22-2008 10:39 AM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I think ebay was looking at where the most fraud was not the most expensive cards....Who knows how they make decisions anymore.....well, actually, it's easy....whatever will help their bottom line they will do....regardless of helping buyers or sellers...at least that is the way it looks...

Archive 06-22-2008 10:40 AM

Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>Well said......

Archive 06-22-2008 11:38 AM

Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>&lt;&lt;Who knows how they make decisions anymore.....well, actually, it's easy....whatever will help their bottom line they will do&gt;&gt;<br /><br />Silly capitalists.

Archive 06-22-2008 11:49 AM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>what's the use?

Archive 06-22-2008 12:48 PM

Posted By: <b>Craig W</b><p>Tony,<br /><br />Here's the list of cards that ebay doesn't allow to be sold raw. It was originally posted by Jamie awhile back.<br /><br />1. 1979-1980 Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card (O-Pee-Chee and Topps #18)<br />2. 1966-1967 Bobby Orr Rookie Card (Topps #35)<br />3. 1986-1987 Michael Jordan Rookie Card (Fleer #57)<br />4. 1933 Babe Ruth (Goudey - all four)<br />5. 1951 Mickey Mantle (Bowman #253)<br />6. 1985-1986 Mario Lemieux Rookie Card (O-Pee-Chee and Topps #9)<br />7. 1952 Mickey Mantle (Topps #311)<br />8. 1909 Honus Wagner (T206)<br />9. 1933 Lou Gehrig (Goudey)<br />10. 1909 Ty Cobb (T206)<br />11. 1909 Cy Young (T206)<br />12. 1909 Eddie Plank (T206)<br />13. 1988 Maxx Dale Earnhardt<br />

Archive 06-22-2008 03:29 PM

Posted By: <b>Bottom of the Ninth</b><p>It is eBay's database. How hard is it to imagine that when they remove something it would be removed from your watch list? They only call it My eBay to give you a false sense that you are a part of the community.

Archive 06-22-2008 06:48 PM

Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>&lt;&lt;Silly capitalists.&gt;&gt;<br /><br />The meaning of my post -- sometimes companies try so hard to make money that they lose money. Ebay is trying to manage the bottom line so much, they are degrading their brand and alienating their core user. This makes ebay, in my opinion, silly capitalists.<br /><br />Apologies if this was read in any other way.<br /><br />Brian<br /><br />

Archive 06-22-2008 07:24 PM

Posted By: <b>Randy Trierweiler</b><p>Ebay once cancelled 45 auctions I placed because I used the word "want-list" in it. They never gave me a chance to edit them, they never gave me a reply, they never said a word. It was if the auctions never existed. I had to start all 45 over from scratch.

Archive 06-22-2008 07:30 PM

Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>Ebay is not run by humans, and I am not saying that in jest. It is a corporate culture, a corporate think-speak. And it is not new. Example I sighted at top of thread, I had a whole bunch of vendor's pack Topps 1957 red back planes cards. All Near Mint or Mint. I listed a group of them individually. All different aircraft and manufacturers. You know Douglas, Boeing, etc. Well, one day, my auction for the Sikorsky Helicopter card vanishes, along with an email from ebay telling me I may be in copyright infringement. <br /><br />Of course, that was and is absurd. The card clearly stated on the back that it was copyrighted by Topps, and since we know that Topps would not have contacted ebay on copyright infringement, that left Sikorsky as the only suspect. Some dweeb at Sikorsky, using the new-fangled Google (this was several years ago) came across my use of the Sikorsky name and image and decided that that was CI, despite the fact that Topps owned the copyright on the card. <br /><br />But there was no avenue for me to appeal. I sent emails, etc, but the people answering them are programed on how they can respond. <br /><br />So what was I to do? I've got a $5 card, a major corporation's lawyer telling me I am in copyright infringement, and a MEGA corp, upon whom my livelyhood depends, telling me to cease and desist.<br /><br />There are many more examples, even sillier than the above, which I could sight. It is nothing new. This has been going on for years, since at least 2001 when I became involved with ebay. You only notice it when it affects you. But it has been there all along.<br /><br />I long ago gave up fighting it. If ebay says I have to authenticate my Cobb red background t206 in order to sell it, so be it. <br />Tom,<br />EastHamptonAuctios

Archive 06-22-2008 08:18 PM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I once listed a 115 yr old carton of cigarettes and plainly said they were only for collectors and weren't good to smoke. Ebay took it down...I emailed them as I thought I could sell them if certain things were said in the description. They emailed me an apology and said after further review my item was not against rules.....but they still zapped it before saying anything to me......regards