Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Now I Get It (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=341710)

jingram058 10-20-2023 02:20 PM

Now I Get It

I know now why folks hate the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, Steelers, Bulls, yada yada yada. Time for me to rant. I hate the f-ing Astros! I hate them because I'm sick to death of them. When Texas had a 2-0 lead in the ALCS, I thought, okay, Houston will go away finally. But no. Wishful thinking. One link on Google News today was titled, "Astros now control the ALCS". I saw that and promptly wanted to barf. I hate the Astros, pure and simple, and no matter how great they are, every f-ing thing about them. As much as I ever hated the f-ing Red Sox, I hate the Astros 1,000 times more. So much for that rivalry.

Last trip to New York, I got into a conversation with one of our cabbies that came around to baseball. He came out and asked, who do I like? Yankees or Mets? When I said Yankees he almost threw us out of his cab. I asked him why all this hatred for one of your hometown teams. He said, if you lived here you would get it. He said he grew up in Queens and loved the Mets all his life. He said the main reason he hated the Yankees, even though they are in the American League, even though they are a New York icon, is that he was sick to death of them. Now I get it.

BobbyStrawberry 10-20-2023 02:34 PM

I hate everything about the Astros except:

1) Yordan Alvarez
2) Dusty Baker

How could anyone hate these two? Eff the rest of that team though.

jingram058 10-20-2023 06:21 PM

Just as the script was written, of course the Astros had to take the lead in the 9th inning of game 5, after trailing the entire game. I just threw up. Now they will win win the ALCS for sure. If so, season over for me. I won't watch the World Series if Houston is in it.

mrreality68 10-21-2023 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2382127)
Just as the script was written, of course the Astros had to take the lead in the 9th inning of game 5, after trailing the entire game. I just threw up. Now they will win win the ALCS for sure. If so, season over for me. I won't watch the World Series if Houston is in it.

The baseball gods are torturing us

Hxcmilkshake 10-21-2023 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2382127)

100%. And watch Eovaldi win and force a game 7 but its all a tease

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

bk400 10-21-2023 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2382081)
I know now why folks hate the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, Steelers, Bulls, yada yada yada. Time for me to rant. I hate the f-ing Astros! I hate them because I'm sick to death of them. When Texas had a 2-0 lead in the ALCS, I thought, okay, Houston will go away finally. But no. Wishful thinking. One link on Google News today was titled, "Astros now control the ALCS". I saw that and promptly wanted to barf. I hate the Astros, pure and simple, and no matter how great they are, every f-ing thing about them. As much as I ever hated the f-ing Red Sox, I hate the Astros 1,000 times more. So much for that rivalry.

Last trip to New York, I got into a conversation with one of our cabbies that came around to baseball. He came out and asked, who do I like? Yankees or Mets? When I said Yankees he almost threw us out of his cab. I asked him why all this hatred for one of your hometown teams. He said, if you lived here you would get it. He said he grew up in Queens and loved the Mets all his life. He said the main reason he hated the Yankees, even though they are in the American League, even though they are a New York icon, is that he was sick to death of them. Now I get it.

Hear, hear. I say this with the appropriate level of lightheartedness, but real people with real jobs in the tri-state (NY, NJ, CT) rooted for the Mets and Giants. There are some people in southern Jersey who get a pass for being Eagles fans. The Yankees and the Jets were the hipster / investment banker teams. The only time I can recall Mets fans rooting for the Yankees was after 9/11 against the Diamondbacks. But that was different. That was more of an American thing.

The Astros are becoming as unlikeable as the Yankees, but perhaps for different reasons.

SyrNy1960 10-22-2023 05:06 AM

I can’t stand Altuve! I can’t stand Altuve! I hate Altuve!!

bnorth 10-22-2023 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2382081)

I get it. I quit watching football completely because of the F-ing Patriots. I have no plan to ever watch it again and it is entirely because of the F-ing Patriots.

Snapolit1 10-22-2023 06:33 AM

I grew up a Mets fan in the NYC area. I never hated Yankee players. In fact there were many over the years I liked. What I grew to absolutely despise is the smug uninformed attitude of many Yankee fans. Yeah, that jackass over there with his stupid 28 rings jacket.

Many Yankee fans have a sense of entitlement that is ridiculous. Particularly fans under 40. It’s like we are supposed to win every freakin year. Like that’s how it supposed to be. I was born a champion. We deserve to win every single year. Crazy.

Also many of them go and on about the Yankee tradition and legacy and couldn t pick Lou Gehrig or Whitey Ford out of a police line up.

The Yankee hype on prospects is just absurd. Every prospect who gets 5 hits is all of a sudden a future hall of famer. This poor Volpe kid was the second coming of Derek Jeter. Dominguez is the second coming on Mickey mantle. The hyping of prospects by the entire organization is way overblown. Phil Hughs was a hall of famer after half a season. More than other teams.

The retiring of numbers has gotten stupid. Yankees are so far from Ruth and Gehrig it’s laughable. Waiting for Scott Broscius’ number to be retired soon.

I could go on but will spare people.

The tears of entitled Yankee fans are a source of great enjoyment to me. I suffer as a Mets fan and lose in bizarre ways. But I maintain my dignity.

todeen 10-22-2023 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2382446)
I get it. I quit watching football completely because of the F-ing Patriots. I have no plan to ever watch it again and it is entirely because of the F-ing Patriots.

the Patriots suck now! come back! Root again for the tortured souls of Bengals and Bill's fans who can only get "this" close to Super Bowl victories.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

todeen 10-22-2023 04:12 PM

I would lie to say I hate the Astros, but my son chose then as his favorite team, so I must remain cordial. I being a Mariners fan (after the Reds, of course) am sickened my son won't root for our closest local MLB team. He will never know my anguish that none of my teams have ever won a WS in my lifetime.

bnorth 10-22-2023 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2382580)
the Patriots suck now! come back! Root again for the tortured souls of Bengals and Bill's fans who can only get "this" close to Super Bowl victories.

All their winning just made the sport seem as real as the WWE to me. Lets be Patriotic.:eek:

jingram058 10-24-2023 02:57 PM

Hallelujah !!!!!!!!

Casey2296 10-24-2023 08:29 PM

Duck the Fodgers!

Signed-

A Giants fan.

steve B 10-30-2023 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2382580)

By "this close" do you mean not even making the playoffs most years since the 90's and 80/s?

No that the Patriots were much of anything until the mid 90's

mrreality68 10-30-2023 11:59 AM

The worst game of the Year so far was the Giants vs Jets.

It was also the ugliest and the most pathetic of the year also