Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Legitimate Mathewson Auto? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150181)

glchen 04-19-2012 04:10 PM

Legitimate Mathewson Auto?

1 Attachment(s)
What do you guys think about this Mathewson auto? Is it legit?

David Atkatz 04-19-2012 05:09 PM

Absolutely not.

phikappapsi 04-19-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 985334)
Absolutely not.

+1

Scott Garner 04-19-2012 07:09 PM

+2

Please keep one thing in mind as a buyer. There are no "bargain" Matty's floating around out there.

Expect to pay over $12,000 minimum, FYI.

GrayGhost 04-19-2012 07:11 PM

looks awful

Mr. Zipper 04-19-2012 07:44 PM

Even if it was authentic, it should be ruled a fake and destroyed based on the wretched display alone.

:eek:

:D

mighty bombjack 04-19-2012 09:48 PM

Just to enforce what the others are saying: no way.

glchen 04-20-2012 02:28 PM

EAC Gallery Auction

1 Attachment(s)
This auto was actually sold by EAC Gallery auction that ended last night for around ~7500. Link When I posted the question yesterday, it was only around 3K. The auction stated that the auto was actually passed by JSA, but when I asked them for the LOA, it looked very stranged to me (attached). Usually, I thought that JSA LOA's had photos of the auto, but this one didn't. I checked JSA cert check, and it did not come up. When I sent an email to JSA asking if this was a valid cert/auto, they never replied to me.

mighty bombjack 04-20-2012 06:20 PM

That appears to be an "auction LOA." It means that JSA has ostensibly approved the auto, but they want you to pay a fee to slab it or upgrade to a full LOA. PSA/DNA did this same thing until they saw people flipping the autos on eBay with the auction letter (which they never intended and thought wouldn't happen due to a lack of photo connection between item and letter), so now they just say that it's preapproved.

Bilko G 04-20-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 985711)
This auto was actually sold by EAC Gallery auction that ended last night for around ~7500. Link When I posted the question yesterday, it was only around 3K. The auction stated that the auto was actually passed by JSA, but when I asked them for the LOA, it looked very stranged to me (attached). Usually, I thought that JSA LOA's had photos of the auto, but this one didn't. I checked JSA cert check, and it did not come up. When I sent an email to JSA asking if this was a valid cert/auto, they never replied to me.

Is their anyways you can post a bigger picture of that letter, without making it an "attachement"? Its too small to read this way. Thank you.

Scott Garner 04-20-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 985711)

What a joke! :rolleyes::(

glchen 04-21-2012 05:37 PM

Here it is. Strange how it says they "believe" as if there is some kind of wiggle room.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...lOT515_JSA.jpg

travrosty 04-22-2012 07:24 AM

This is what it has come to. what's next?

RichardSimon 04-22-2012 07:48 AM

I want my Steele Perez card :D:D.

mighty bombjack 04-22-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travrosty (Post 986268)
This is what it has come to. what's next?

Hopefully what's next is that more people recognize what glchen has recognized above, that a letter from JSA merely tells what they believe. Most here, including myself, believe that the cut shown above wasn't signed by Mathewson. That, too, is just a belief. The buyer may have formed their own opinion, or they may have blindly taken Spence's. It doesn't really matter to me, because while I need and want a Mathewson in my collection, I don't want that one.

phikappapsi 04-22-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mighty bombjack (Post 986303)
Hopefully what's next is that more people recognize what glchen has recognized above, that a letter from JSA merely tells what they believe. Most here, including myself, believe that the cut shown above wasn't signed by Mathewson. That, too, is just a belief. The buyer may have formed their own opinion, or they may have blindly taken Spence's. It doesn't really matter to me, because while I need and want a Mathewson in my collection, I don't want that one.

Going to agree with that. Some people have enough money not to care, some people don't do their own research, and some people base their opinions on years of being in the hobby. The bottom line is, never pay more for something than it is worth to you. So if you believe this is fake, it's probably worth zero. If you think it's fake and also believe it has value due to JSA saying it's real, then buy accordingly, and if you think it's resoundingly real, then the value is higher...

The only caution is if you're buying as an investment, or to turn a profit, this would not be the matty for you, because even with the JSA, a lot of knowledgeable buyers won't touch it.

Scott Garner 04-22-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phikappapsi (Post 986313)
Going to agree with that. Some people have enough money not to care, some people don't do their own research, and some people base their opinions on years of being in the hobby. The bottom line is, never pay more for something than it is worth to you. So if you believe this is fake, it's probably worth zero. If you think it's fake and also believe it has value due to JSA saying it's real, then buy accordingly, and if you think it's resoundingly real, then the value is higher...

The only caution is if you're buying as an investment, or to turn a profit, this would not be the matty for you, because even with the JSA, a lot of knowledgeable buyers won't touch it.

with a ten foot pole! :eek:

RichardSimon 04-22-2012 10:27 AM

The auction cert illustrated here is extraordinarily different from the regular cert issued by JSA.
The wording on the regular cert is different (it is our opinion that the item is genuine is the wording on the regular cert), the regular cert has a picture of the item and the regular cert is notarized.
You would think that for a Christy Mathewson signature they would do what was required for the regular cert to be issued for the auction and to not try to gouge the buyer for another chunk of change, after he has already spent $7K+.

travrosty 04-22-2012 05:10 PM

I call them weasel words. we kinda, coulda woulda shoulda think this is real, but pay us.