Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help with Adirondack Bat (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330521)

UKCardGuy 01-19-2023 03:58 PM

Help with Adirondack Bat

4 Attachment(s)
I'm more familiar with H&B bats than Adirondack. But I picked up this Hank Bauer Adirondack bat and I could use some assistance please.

Here's my questions:
1. On an Adirondack bat what do the words "Professional Model" indicate? Based on my research (ermmm google), I think Personal Model indicates a professional bat.

2. Based on the center label and Keymancollectibles, I think the bat dates from 1960. The center label style was used from 58-60 but the bats only used the phrase "Whip Action" (instead of Flexible Whip Action) in 1960.

I've seen model 212 but not 21266. I've not been able to find the model 21266. Can anyone shed some light on the model 21266?

3. There was a handwritten label on the bat that said it was game used but I doubt it. I think it was a store model because of the 33 on the end. According to Malta's book, Baeur would hve been using a 35" model 113A in 1960. So I really don't think it was game used by Bauer (though I'd be wrong on that.) Is my assessment correct?

Any general guidance on Adirondack bats would also be welcome.

Thanks,

JoeDfan 01-22-2023 09:39 AM

Retail model?

There are better experts on Adirondacks here, but my understanding is that a pro model would likely have the model number stamped in the knob, probably with a letter after it indicating the length.

All of the ones I have seen with the length stamped in were retail models.

But, like you, I have not seen that model before either. Perhaps some others will chime in and give you more details.

Sean

Vintagedeputy 01-22-2023 04:43 PM

33 inch store model. Not a gamer in my opinion.

A gamer would be marked with a model like 172A or something.

sicollector1954 01-22-2023 09:21 PM

Adirondack

An Adirondack bat needs to be a 302 model to have a chance to be considered a possible game used bat. Thanks.

UKCardGuy 01-23-2023 12:19 PM

Thanks guys. What's the difference between a personal model and a professional model Adirondack Bat?

On Adirondack bats is the number in the center label the model or some else?

ooo-ribay 01-23-2023 08:50 PM

From my Malta book (which is falling apart so badly I can barely use it), I believe your center label can only date to 1960. But “Professional Model” wasn’t used until 1983….it was “Personal Model” before that. Pro bats from 1989 to 1994 DID have a five number code (last two being the year from 89-94) but those numbers were on the knob, not the center brand. Adirondack also produced a bunch of replica bats like for the one Bobby Thomson used for “The Shot Heard Round The World.” Bauer had a hell of a run 1952-54 but I’m not sure it was enough to warrant a replica. You have a bit of a Frankenbat…I don’t know what it is but I seriously doubt it’s a gamer.

edit: I see you already figured out 1960 for the center label.

UKCardGuy 01-27-2023 03:02 AM

Thanks Rob. I paid next to mothing for the bat. I bought it because it raised questions and as a learning opportunity.

Maybe someone here has some old Adirondack catalogs? I'm hoping to find the history of my "frankendack" bat