Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   October Autograph Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=194810)

btcarfagno 09-30-2014 07:45 PM

October Autograph Pickups

Yeah I know...still have a few hours to go. I am just so excited to have won this item that I had to start the October thread.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps8dc4faf5.jpg

Joe DiMaggio signed sheet as an 18 year old in the PCL. I am sure there are others out there, but I cannot recall seeing one this early into his pro career.

Love it.

Tom C

Forever Young 09-30-2014 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine. I have not seen many. Nice addition.

RelicSports 09-30-2014 11:14 PM

Love both of the early pre-yankee Dimaggios! I really enjoy collecting the vintage/playing day sigs, great addition!

itjclarke 09-30-2014 11:51 PM

signed rookies

4 Attachment(s)
Technically picked up at the end of Sept, but oh well...

Bosox Blair 10-01-2014 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know this is not a rare auto, but buying this and getting it shipped to my door for less than $40 total seems a steal to me...makes me happy :).

johnmh71 10-01-2014 11:45 AM

Nice pickup Blair.

Bosox Blair 10-01-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmh71 (Post 1329035)
Nice pickup Blair.

Thanks, John! :)

Cheers,
Blair

Lordstan 10-01-2014 10:08 PM

My newest additions to my Sport magazine collection

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ort194709x.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...port194811.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...port195307.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...port195601.jpg

Scott Garner 10-02-2014 04:55 AM

Debs Garms signed Boston Braves photo

2 Attachment(s)
I just picked up this signed photo of Debs Garms of the Boston Braves (circa 1938). I thought that this image of him was especially nice.

In the game immediately following Johnny "Double No-Hit" Vander Meer's consecutive no-hitters, Garm's singled in the 3rd inning on June 19th, 1938 to end his consecutive no-hit streak.

tazdmb 10-03-2014 06:27 AM

Acquired from Dave's Resale Shop, who I cannot recommend highly enough

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps7bcc5861.jpg

earlywynnfan 10-03-2014 04:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are some of my summer pickups, fresh back from the painter.

Ken

jgmp123 10-03-2014 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally able to pick up a JFK auto!! This is a mockup of what I hope to have framed soon....

Lordstan 10-03-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1330032)
Finally able to pick up a JFK auto!! This is a mockup of what I hope to have framed soon....

Very very nice.

Mr. Zipper 10-03-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1330011)
These are some of my summer pickups, fresh back from the painter.

Ken

Very cool, Ken! What a great idea. :)

sbfinley 10-04-2014 11:29 AM

Was outbid on a couple vintage autos so I picked up a handful of guys who have a great shot of being in Cooperstown eventually. These two arrived today.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...250/trout-mike

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...cabrera-miguel

Klrdds 10-04-2014 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I do not know why I keep adding to my Hall of Famer autograph collection but this came my way and I did not want to turn it down. I know I will never get a full set since that for the record seems to be an impossibility given that there are no verifiable examples available for Mendez, Torriente, Grant , and Hill with Davis and Selee close behind. But the chase is what keeps me going .....so here is my Vic Willis.

tazdmb 10-04-2014 10:00 PM

what an incredible pickup!

Scott Garner 10-05-2014 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1330409)
I do not know why I keep adding to my Hall of Famer autograph collection but this came my way and I did not want to turn it down. I know I will never get a full set since that for the record seems to be an impossibility given that there are no verifiable examples available for Mendez, Torriente, Grant , and Hill with Davis and Selee close behind. But the chase is what keeps me going .....so here is my Vic Willis.

Kevin,
Terrific pickup!!

I do recall seeing this signed 3 x 5 card before.
This has to be the nicest exemplar in the hobby unless there is a Willis letter that I'm not aware of. Nice job and thanks for sharing it with us. :cool:

jgmp123 10-05-2014 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1330409)

Incredible pickup!! Congrats!

Klrdds 10-05-2014 11:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1330493)
Kevin,
Terrific pickup!!

I do recall seeing this signed 3 x 5 card before.
This has to be the nicest exemplar in the hobby unless there is a Willis letter that I'm not aware of. Nice job and thanks for sharing it with us. :cool:

Scott ,
Here are examples of the only 2 letters that I am aware of for Vic Willis. They were sold many years ago right after he was elected to the HoF. They were absorbed into the hobby and I have never seen them since. In fact I have seen only 6 Willis' up until now, and this includes this one, and you are correct this piece has been sold 2 times before that I am aware of and I figured it was now or never for me.
Who knows what the 2 letters would go for now. I believe they sold for 7-9K each when sold.
Thanks for your and everyone's kind remarks.

bender07 10-05-2014 11:51 AM

Okay October can be shutdown after that pick up! Awesome!

Teamgluck 10-06-2014 12:17 AM

I am in awe over that Vic Willis what an outstanding pickup.

PS: Jose Mendez "The Black Diamond" had a signed ball recently appear in a legendary auctions auction and was sold for what I believe to be below value. The only one that is 100% so far non existing as of now is Frank Grant.

sbfinley 10-06-2014 01:08 AM

Amazing Willis. Considering he owned and operated a Hotel I am surprised there are not more signed documents out there.

Scott Garner 10-06-2014 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1330558)
Scott ,
Here are examples of the only 2 letters that I am aware of for Vic Willis. They were sold many years ago right after he was elected to the HoF. They were absorbed into the hobby and I have never seen them since. In fact I have seen only 6 Willis' up until now, and this includes this one, and you are correct this piece has been sold 2 times before that I am aware of and I figured it was now or never for me.
Who knows what the 2 letters would go for now. I believe they sold for 7-9K each when sold.
Thanks for your and everyone's kind remarks.

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for showing me these two Victor Willis letters. Very cool!
Congrats again on your pickup.
Scott

earlywynnfan 10-06-2014 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamgluck (Post 1330799)
I am in awe over that Vic Willis what an outstanding pickup.

PS: Jose Mendez "The Black Diamond" had a signed ball recently appear in a legendary auctions auction and was sold for what I believe to be below value. The only one that is 100% so far non existing as of now is Frank Grant.

If that was the multi-signed ball that was barely legible that you're talking about, many experienced collectors still think that a true Mendez doesn't exist.

Ken

Klrdds 10-06-2014 12:02 PM

I have no faith in that Mendez ball, Coincidentally that ball has been on the market twice in a span of a few years so I feel the purchasers once getting it and looking closer also get disillusioned about it being Mendez.

mighty bombjack 10-06-2014 12:59 PM

Damn that Willis has me drooling on the keyboard

Scott Garner 10-07-2014 07:46 AM

Mel Parnell 1950's signed 8 x 10

2 Attachment(s)
I just picked up an original Mel Parnell early 1950's signed photo with a great shot of Fenway in the background.

Nearing the end of his career in baseball in 1956, Parnell threw a no-hitter on July 14, 1956.

tazdmb 10-07-2014 08:02 AM

After a short hiatus-#224
Kind of embarrassed to post after the Willis post. Unfortunately, autograph is framed and glass above it has some type of gunk on it that I just can't get off.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps881cb513.jpg

gashouse34 10-10-2014 02:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Fairly recent additions for me. Nothing special but am glad to add to my HOF collection. The Banquet program is a bit rough but I think its cool...also includes a couple early DiMaggio signatures. I think i'm around 213 so way behind the rest of ya! Also picked up James' Klem and Wallace (Thanks James) at a good price.

RelicSports 10-10-2014 05:34 AM

I love that program with the rookie Dimaggio and toughies in Lazzeri and Heilmann. Great pick up!

tazdmb 10-10-2014 06:38 AM

Agreed, love the program! Plus anyone over 200 does not have a long way to go. ;)

You need to post some pictures of the rest of your collection!

Klrdds 10-10-2014 11:20 AM

The program is a nice pick up with some good vintage signatures of some good HoFers.
Remember 213 autographs is a very good number for HoFer autograph collectors. It shows a commitment of time, and patience because going into this type of collection you start out knowing that you will never complete it because NO ONE will ever own/build a complete set of HoFers autographs..it can't be done especially for the rare ones what with scarcity and the debate over signature variations due to a lack of exemplars of those rare ones. Also it shows a financial commitment of some serious dollars. For example if you purchased your 213 signatures for an average of just $ 60.00 each you have spent over $12, 500.00 to get to this point. And that total will exponentially rise as you go into the rarer ones if you choose. That is why separate checking accounts/ credit cards are a great asset in this hobby for married couples.
Good Luck

tazdmb 10-10-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1332478)
That is why separate checking accounts/ credit cards are a great asset in this hobby for married couples.
Good Luck

Bingo :D

mighty bombjack 10-10-2014 11:34 AM

I love this thread and the discussion herein. I have been at 240 for a while now and it doesn't look like that number is budging until more guys get in.

I really like that program and the tough autos on it. I appreciate items that are one of a kind and have some character from the years. Fantastic pickup.

jgmp123 10-10-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1332480)
Bingo :D

+2!!:D:D:eek: I am still working on my HOF Collection, but have turned my attention to upgrading existing pieces and some new ventures (Presidential autographs).

gashouse34 10-11-2014 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the kind words guys. On the inside of the program is another signed early DiMaggio. What I find interesting is that he had barely been in the big leagues 2 months and he was regarded as a sensational star and they were throwing banquets for him. I wonder how many players were considered stars just a few months into their careers? Of course he made himself known with the Seals prior to playing for the Yankees.

Runscott 10-11-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gashousegang_1 (Post 1332853)
Of course he made himself known with the Seals prior to playing for the Yankees.

I think you answered your own question. I remember David Clyde being a star before he even stepped on the mound.

But in addition, haven't the Yankees always needed someone to be 'the next great Yankee'? Since Babe Ruth, it seems like the superstar of MLB always has to be a Yankee, so with Gehrig 13 years into his career and DiMaggio a superstar with the Seals, he was the obvious one to be coronated next. And after him it was Mantle, then the failure with Murcer and a long drought. Jeter was the Yankees 'settling', and this farewell tour is marketing him to be something he simply wasn't.

Klrdds 10-11-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1332869)
I think you answered your own question. I remember David Clyde being a star before he even stepped on the mound.

But in addition, haven't the Yankees always needed someone to be 'the next great Yankee'? Since Babe Ruth, it seems like the superstar of MLB always has to be a Yankee, so with Gehrig 13 years into his career and DiMaggio a superstar with the Seals, he was the obvious one to be coronated next. And after him it was Mantle, then the failure with Murcer and a long drought. Jeter was the Yankees 'settling', and this farewell tour is marketing him to be something he simply wasn't.

I agree totally with you except don't you think Joe Pepitone is in there as a bridge between Mantle and Murcer. What about Munson also.
Personally I was hoping Mickey Rivers would have filled that role before Jeter😄😄😄😄😄

Runscott 10-11-2014 03:00 PM

Agreed on Pepitone. Coolest player in baseball

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

gregr2 10-12-2014 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a new pickup but I finally got my 3 favorites framed and put on the wall.

Attachment 164092

Klrdds 10-12-2014 09:29 AM

Nice display. Look forward to seeing more from you.

RelicSports 10-13-2014 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was thrilled to add this "Miner" Brown sig to my collection a couple weeks ago. Being a Cub fan and currently reading the book "Three Finger," this was a fun pick up.

tazdmb 10-14-2014 12:21 PM

#225-I can't imagine ever getting to 250 with the current HOF lineup.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...psd8cf66ef.jpg

Runscott 10-14-2014 01:23 PM

whyconform 10-15-2014 08:52 AM

Some sweet HOF pickups this month. Nice to see so many over 200. I'm stuck at 228. I doubt I'll be seeing that number rise until we get a new class. New priorities in life I guess... Either way, I've been ditching some sticker autos and late in life autos for some older, dated autos, like GPC's & checks.

Taz, going from 225 to 250 would probably cost as much as 0-225. I think it's safe to say you can get to 235-240 in terms of availability through auctions within a year or two (and deep pockets). The jump from 240-250 might take years....

Klrdds 10-15-2014 11:41 AM

The way to make a jump is to do what I have done and continue to do, and that is to take a gamble on the older guys who might get elected from the Veterans Committee and buy them when able . Granted it is a huge gamble and you may buy 15 autographs over time and only 1 or 2 guys get elected but you have them and at a considerable savings compared to waiting until they get elected when prices go up. You just have to be willing to gamble and run the risk vs reward on the money side. Granted when I started doing it prices were much cheaper . I have been very lucky to have been able to do this and have a lot of these guys eventually get elected, some 5-10 years after buying them.
I agree totally with the statement that 225-250 will probably cost as much as 0-225 but it will take longer to do also. I believe this because of the scarcity of some of these autos and lack of appearance in the marketplace, whether public or private deals .

tazdmb 10-15-2014 12:18 PM

I just did a quick check, and ignoring how deep my pockets are (not that deep) getting to 250 would be a huge stretch with the current pool without spending more than $5k for any one autograph. Plus I (anyone) would need to be a little lucky with timing-who knows when the next Effa Manley autograph will come up at an auction/for sale and will i have the free cash flow at that time to spend.

Plus, I don't how much longer the Pre-Intergration ballot will be around until they finally say-OK, it is been over 100 years-if they are not in by now, maybe they don't deserve induction. Plus most (not all) of those players autographs that may get in from that period are already so scarce in the marketplace that I will probably never get a chance to own-haven seen a Pete Browning or Tony Mullane autograph offered in some time. That being said, I did take a very expensive insurance rider out on Bill Dahlen recently.

Klrdds 10-15-2014 01:14 PM

Bill Dahlen is a solid gamble. It is not a question of "if" but "when" for him.

earlywynnfan 10-15-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1334040)
Bill Dahlen is a solid gamble. It is not a question of "if" but "when" for him.

I don't think the 100-year theory supports the above statement!