Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Bob Dylan sold his catalog of songs for $300 Million (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=293039)

Rich Klein 12-08-2020 06:51 AM

Bob Dylan sold his catalog of songs for $300 Million

Is the number being reported: Here was one of my Facebook friends (we even share the same birthday -- he's older) comment and I thought that was very appropriate for this board as well:

"Those critical of Bob Dylan for "selling out": oh, come on. The man is 79 and has six children. The $300 million takes care of them without the added burden of managing those assets. He's been forced off the road where he makes most of his money. I get it."

The same thing comes to athletes selling their trophies, momentos or other parts of their career. The money goes to kids, and they don't have potential headaches of whom owns what.

Regards
Rich

timzcardz 12-08-2020 12:38 PM

I get it.

I'm a sellout too.

Every year for 40+ years now I've given up 2000+ hours to the man, for a lot less than $300 million! :eek:

It's business.

Was he bamboozled into this? I'm guessing not. :rolleyes:

Seven 12-08-2020 12:41 PM

Can't blame him. Might as well make some more money off of it and take care of your family.

riggs336 12-08-2020 01:01 PM

$300,000,000 works out to about a half million per song. That actually seems about right to me.

Mark17 12-08-2020 02:23 PM

Smart move.

Anyone calling him a "sellout" is an idiot. It's just an asset - either a catalog that pays residuals over time, or a lump sum. This way he can decide where the money will go. Probably saves a lot of strife and possible lawsuits among the family. And he'll be dead in 20 years, maybe sooner. Take care of business now and have it done.

Bob shows, again, that he's a brilliant and perceptive guy.

riggs336 12-08-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2043377)
Smart move.

Anyone calling him a "sellout" is an idiot. It's just an asset - either a catalog that pays residuals over time, or a lump sum. This way he can decide where the money will go. Probably saves a lot of strife and possible lawsuits among the family. And he'll be dead in 20 years, maybe sooner. Take care of business now and have it done.

Agreed. I know nothing of probate law, but one would think bequeathing cash has to be simpler than leaving behind rights to 600 songs (a small few of which have co-writers).

Peter_Spaeth 12-08-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2043377)
Smart move.

He not busy being born is busy dyin'. Hopefully it's not dark yet for him, but nonetheless times have changed and he won't be forever young. So it was time for him to head on down to that (30) million dollar bash.

Michael B 12-08-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2043424)
He not busy being born is busy dyin'. Hopefully it's not dark yet for him, but nonetheless times have changed and he won't be forever young. So it was time for him to head on down to that (30) million dollar bash.

Hopefully he puts it in the bank so that money won't be blowin' in the wind.

Mark17 12-08-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 2043437)
Hopefully he puts it in the bank so that money won't be blowin' in the wind.

What would it matter, as long as he keeps maybe a million or two to live on? Guy dies with $1,000,000 in the bank, or 100 times that much... what's the difference (as long as he doesn't want to be buried in a gold King Tut mask?)

Michael B 12-08-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2043465)
What would it matter, as long as he keeps maybe a million or two to live on? Guy dies with $1,000,000 in the bank, or 100 times that much... what's the difference (as long as he doesn't want to be buried in a gold King Tut mask?)

The post previous to mine had snippets of Dylan songs. I was continuing the reference.

Just a Marine Corps haircut.

GasHouseGang 12-10-2020 10:15 AM

He sold the songs for $300 million. He could probably sell the lyrics for $100 million. I can't understand him. What the heck did he say in that song? :D

drcy 12-12-2020 11:46 AM

Selling your old art for a lot of money is not being a sellout. That is when you alter your art just to make money.

Mark17 12-12-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 2044587)
Selling your old art for a lot of money is not being a sellout. That is when you alter your art just to make money.

The important distinction is that with music, which can be copied perfectly millions of times, Bob didn't have to relinquish anything. He can still have all of his music to listen to whenever he wants. With art, there is only one original.

What Dylan sold is the rights to the money. Choices were to continue to receive royalties as they rolled in, or taking a lump sum. His actual music, which has been out there for up to half a century, isn't affected at all.

riggs336 12-12-2020 05:09 PM

I wonder if he will now have to pay when he performs his songs.