Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who bought my T206 set ??? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305628)

RCFire82 07-26-2021 10:33 PM

Who bought my T206 set ???

1 Attachment(s)
Definitely a long shot, but still thought I'd put it out there...

Hoping to see if anyone within this community might know who purchased my T206 set. I sold it in 2008 (needed the funds for our first home). It was sold as a "Buy-It-Now" on Ebay for $19,999 and paid for with a cashiers check (if memory serves). It was stored and shipped in the same type of binder as pictured. Each card was placed in a semi-rigid holder that was trimmed down along the top and one side in order to fit standard 9 card pages. The set was complete at 520 and to account for the missing big 4 slots I had added a second (normal) Magee and Doyle, along with a Plank 1909 e95 & an altered re-print Wagner.

-Ryan

Kevin 07-27-2021 10:52 AM

Hi Ryan -

That is a great story. I hope you can reconnect with your old cards. Where are you at with your T206 set now?

Great story and I sure hope someone has an answer! What was that decision like? How long did it take you to acquire the 520? At any point, did your wife tell you not to sell? Or, was she encouraging you to sell? Which cards do you remember?

I find it interesting when I see folks referencing old cards that they had, they saw sold, the reacquired.

Talk soon,
Kevin

bobbyw8469 07-27-2021 03:18 PM

I hate to say it, but they probably pieced it out. Scattered to the wind.

Kevin 07-28-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2127479)
I hate to say it, but they probably pieced it out. Scattered to the wind.

I was sort of thinking that to...sort of sad.

Bigdaddy 07-28-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2127822)
I was sort of thinking that to...sort of sad.

It's the circle of life. Cards get bought one by one and put together into collections and then sold off as a group, only to be broken apart and sold again and put back together into a new collection.

bmattioli 07-28-2021 05:27 PM

After years of collecting this is the reason I do not sell.. Ever..

RCFire82 07-29-2021 12:17 AM

So my wife (girlfriend at the time) was actually ok with me keeping the set, but I felt like it was the right thing to do, as we were investing in our first home together. The set took me just under 1 year to complete (obviously I wasn't to picky), the vast majority bought on eBay with some lots here and there from dealers online (t206.com...? Mike Wheat...? Don't overly remember the sites).

Didn't think the set would necessarily still be together, more just curious what path it took and when. I can say the second attempt is going great. Have an emphasis on off-backs which I feel makes for great viewing (especially in the 20 card pages)...the best part this time around is now I've got a little mini me who's probably more into playing/watching/collecting baseball than I ever was at his age!

mrreality68 07-29-2021 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCFire82 (Post 2128014)
So my wife (girlfriend at the time) was actually ok with me keeping the set, but I felt like it was the right thing to do, as we were investing in our first home together. The set took me just under 1 year to complete (obviously I wasn't to picky), the vast majority bought on eBay with some lots here and there from dealers online (t206.com...? Mike Wheat...? Don't overly remember the sites).

Didn't think the set would necessarily still be together, more just curious what path it took and when. I can say the second attempt is going great. Have an emphasis on off-backs which I feel makes for great viewing (especially in the 20 card pages)...the best part this time around is now I've got a little mini me who's probably more into playing/watching/collecting baseball than I ever was at his age!

Wow Great Observations and Great Focus and joy on the little mini me.

Kevin 07-29-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCFire82 (Post 2128014)
.the best part this time around is now I've got a little mini me who's probably more into playing/watching/collecting baseball than I ever was at his age!

Thanks for sharing this...how old is the boy? I have a 5 year old that I am sort of introducing to the T206s. He is aware of their existence. Acknowledges them...

Belfast1933 07-30-2021 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmattioli (Post 2127927)
After years of collecting this is the reason I do not sell.. Ever..

Interesting take… I have never regretted a purchase I made to add to my collection. But I think all the time about cards that I wished I had ever sold!

I might be getting close to this too