Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How to tell reprint /63 Maury Wills (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=222729)

K-Nole 05-19-2016 07:39 PM

How to tell reprint /63 Maury Wills

I have a chance to win a 63 Maury Wills.
But don't want to get screwed into buying the reprint.
How do I tell the difference?

DBesse27 05-19-2016 10:08 PM

Is this card widely reprinted? Honest question, I don't know much about this card.

the 'stache 05-20-2016 04:09 AM

Where is this being offered?

You can do your due diligence before committing yourself-that includes examining the seller's history (have they ever had negative marks? How long have they been selling? Have they dealt with vintage cards in the past?) Get additional scans/photos if you need. But, keep in mind some cards you won't be able to really gauge authenticity until you have it in hand. There are some good reprints out there, and unfortunately, not all of them will show clear indication of reproduction. Plus, somebody could always copy an image from elsewhere on the net. I usually ask them to take a picture of the card with their user name in the picture. Compare the pictures of the card you're considering with others you find on the net. While I won't usually buy vintage or pre-war from Beckett, I know that if I find a BVG-slabbed card pictured, it's likely the real thing. Look for any flashing red lights that might disqualify the card-color differences, printing or typography issues. If you feel reasonably sure it's authentic, go for it, but make sure you have recourse. In other words, don't buy something unless you are absolutely certain that you have protection.

Buy the card through Paypal, or a Credit card with zero fraud liability.

Once you get the card in hand, look it over with a loupe, comparing it to a similar card (ie, the same year and design). You didn't specify if its a Fleer or Topps card, but get a common from the same set, and look at both side by side. if the card is slabbed (graded), examine the slab for imperfections/signs of tampering. Examine the flip (the card with the printed information). Make sure there is only one flip. Compare the type to examples found online.

If you can share pictures of the card you're looking at, we can help. But always...always be on the defensive as a buyer.

tschock 05-20-2016 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1541124)
You didn't specify if its a Fleer or Topps card, but get a common from the same set, and look at both side by side.

If it's a 1963 Topps Maury Wills, my guess without even looking at the card is that it's a fake. :D

But great advice, per usual 'stache. :)

K-Nole 05-20-2016 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys.
It was on a Facebook Auction Page.
I won it and a Warren Spahn for $14, so if it is a reprint, it wont be that bad.

Before bidding, i went to EBAY to see what they sell for and saw a lot of "Reprint, Original Back" for it, and all the reprints didnt say anywhere on the card "Reprint".

Here are the pics of it/them

K-Nole 05-20-2016 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Back

mckinneyj 05-20-2016 09:05 AM

Look good to me - great deal for you!

K-Nole 05-20-2016 09:43 AM

Thanks, sure hope so.
Had luck in the past, so hopefully.....

Laxcat 05-20-2016 10:14 AM

Those look good to me as well. Good deal!!

glynparson 05-20-2016 10:45 AM

They are fine

there are fakes of cards in that value range but i have never seen onr that was of decent quality on such a cheap card. Also the wear looks normal for lightly handled 1963 fleer cards.

Bob Lemke 05-20-2016 03:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hold on there, Taylor . . .

Attachment 231898

Attachment 231899