Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1951 Baseball Writers' Association Dinner Program (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144145)

ocjack 11-24-2011 04:47 PM

1951 Baseball Writers' Association Dinner Program

4 Attachment(s)
A former business associate had the original of this program and try as I might, he would not sell it to me. He said his father had been in attendance at the dinner and had personally obtained all of the autographs on the last page. He was kind enough to allow me to make a copy. I recently uncovered it while doing some re-arranging of my memorabilia and thought I would share it with all of you.

Funny aside, he allowed me to take it to the 1991 national card show to see what it was worth. I approached one of the major dealers sitting in front. He said it was a great item and that he would give me $100 for it. I kept a straight face and said if it was only worth that much, I might as well cut it into individual signatures. He almost choked on his gum.

There are 17 signatures. Ralph Branca, Fred Clarke, Ty Cobb, Mickey Cochran, Leo Durocher, Hugh Duffy, Jimmy Foxx, Charles Gehringer, Rogers Hornsby, Charles "Kid" Nichols, Mel Ott, George Sisler, Tris Speaker, Ed Stankey, Pie Traynor, Ed Walsh and Cy Young.

By the way, the program's content is just as interesting. Looks like they had a lot of fun in those days.

thebigtrain 11-24-2011 08:45 PM

What a neat item- esp. the Branca signature. Little did he know that just 8 months later he'd give up the most famous HR in the history of the game.

A lot of the 19th century players present died within 2 or 3 years of signing this thing. It's literally chocked with H.O.F. sigs and I'd figure worth well into the five figure range.

Funny how small and labored the Cobb is- maybe Ty was drunk or in a bad mood?

Does your friend still have the original, or has he since sold it?

sicollector1954 11-25-2011 08:06 AM

Program

3 Attachment(s)
Here is my program from the same event only it is signed on both inside pages as well as the front cover. Only a couple of signatures differ from the one posted here. It appears that "Kid" Nichols had his chosen spot to sign at the top of the page. Also, as you can see from one of the pics--Ty Cobb was signing but not in green ink. Mickey Cochrane personalized mine to the Wexo family..Sigmund Wexo was seated at table 75 that evening and this was purchased back in 1995 from his son, Richard Wexo. If it is worth "well into the five figure range"--I have a daughter who is in college which I am paying for...and I'm listening!
Thanks.

RichardSimon 11-25-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigtrain (Post 942074)
What a neat item- esp. the Branca signature. Little did he know that just 8 months later he'd give up the most famous HR in the history of the game.

A lot of the 19th century players present died within 2 or 3 years of signing this thing. It's literally chocked with H.O.F. sigs and I'd figure worth well into the five figure range.

Funny how small and labored the Cobb is- maybe Ty was drunk or in a bad mood?

Does your friend still have the original, or has he since sold it?

Great piece but not "well into the five figure range."

sicollector1954 11-25-2011 08:47 AM

Program

I saw one of these sell several years ago on Ebay with 7 HOF signatures and it went for around $3500.00. It did not have Cobb, Hornsby, Ott and a couple of other "big-$" names.

WillowGrove 11-25-2011 10:33 AM

Cool piece. But isn't it Jimmie Foxx not Jimmy ? I'm not an autograph collector but it looks like of was written with a 'y'.

sicollector1954 11-25-2011 10:46 AM

Program

He signed a variety of ways. This also has had a PSA done on it but from the source...did not need it.