Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   My other Hobby besides Baseball Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272517)

rgpete 08-18-2019 04:34 PM

My other Hobby besides Baseball Cards

4 Attachment(s)
This is a Console Table that I built for my Kitchen

Leon 08-18-2019 05:23 PM

Nice. I have no ability to make stuff. It is easier if I just buy it already made as I know I will screw it up if I try to make it... If I try It will cost more, will end up crappy and I will have wasted time and money.
Your table looks built well.

jerrys 08-18-2019 06:00 PM

Very attractive and functional design.

seanofjapan 08-18-2019 08:10 PM

Very nice!

PolarBear 08-18-2019 10:04 PM

Nice! I like it!

JoeDfan 08-19-2019 09:27 AM

Very Cool!

brian1961 08-19-2019 11:38 AM

I collect fine 1/43 scale model racing sports cars that took part in events located in various parts of the world dating from the late 30s thru 2011, a few Grand Prix cars, and a few record cars. This has been a deeply passionate pursuit begun several years before I started collecting baseball cards. At 4, I was introduced to the British-made Dinky Toys at a Carson, Pirie, Scott, & Company department toy store "bleacher" display stand of them---love at first sight. The Dinky Toy company is long-gone, but the quality is now miles ahead, being replaced by such firms as SPARK, BIZARRE, Art Models, BANG, IXO, Best, Solido, Neo, Matrix, LookSmart, MPH Models, Minerva Ferrari, CMC, Minichamps, FANGIO Museum Collection in Argentina, Fabbri Ferrari, and the only US producer, Replicarz.

Another hobby I dabble in is collecting very well-made 1/30 or 54 mm scale model soldiers. They're miniature masterpieces in detail and painting.

These interests currently trump old cardboard, since I pretty much accomplished what I wanted to collect.

Interesting topic.

--- Brian Powell

bnorth 08-19-2019 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a few cool watches. The one in the picture is by far my favorite. I believe I got it when in the 3rd grade. It still works but needs some work.

steve B 08-23-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1909696)
I have a few cool watches. The one in the picture is by far my favorite. I believe I got it when in the 3rd grade. It still works but needs some work.

Evel was amazing! And considering how we all tried jumping bicycles over stuff it's a bit of a miracle we all survived.

steve B 08-23-2019 09:48 PM

I have too many other hobbies.
I also do woodworking.
And collect stamps (mostly US officials from the 1870's, but nearly everything else at least a little bit. )
and old racing bicycles. (Mostly Aero stuff from the 80's to 2000, especially team only bikes and equipment, but I have stuff from 1890's till pretty recent, and not all racing)

I've been active in the past in a bunch of other hobbies too.

jerrys 08-24-2019 07:54 PM

I'm sure the mentioned names of toys, bikes, model soldiers, etc. are interesting but without pictures of them are just words to me.

steve B 08-24-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrys (Post 1911289)
I'm sure the mentioned names of toys, bikes, model soldiers, etc. are interesting but without pictures of them are just words to me.

Well ok then, you asked for it.... :D

1983 bike built for the Team Pursuit at the Pan-Am games. The Us won Gold in that event, and I'm fairly sure this bike was actually ridden and not one of the backup spares. I made the special front hub, and the special handlebars, those, like the frame were team only and pretty much can't be bought.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=25788

And the before picture.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=25787

And a stamp, at a first glance, a fairly common one. Until you see that the marks at the top are the bottom of a plate number that for this stamp must be 40. Plate 40 was used on an experimental steam powered press, and only about 2400 impressions were made. It was last described in any stamp publication in 1932, when photos of stamps weren't allowed. After 80 years, some experts believed that Luff who wrote about it in 1902 and the guy who wrote about it in 1932 were mistaken. Until I found this one in 2012 :D As far as I know it's still the only one known although the fine details have sort of proven a few other stamps to have probably been from plate 40. Still no other plate number copies.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=16704

jerrys 08-26-2019 02:13 PM

The bike looks like a winner - the other I think I may interpret Dinky toys easier.

steve B 08-26-2019 09:14 PM

Don't feel bad, a fairly large dealer missed it, and it had been on "stampwants.com"(Now hipstamp) one of the few niche ebay competitors, for some time before I bought it.

It's such an obscure item I can't even guess what it's worth. One of those things that suffers from being super rare, but way too specialized to be extremely valuable.

todeen 10-04-2019 09:52 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Great piece. I am working on a restoration of a 1900 china hutch (family heirloom). It was in poor shape, with some questionable repair jobs over the last 120 years. My dad said, "Well, 80 years ago people fixed things the best way they knew how." And all I thought was, I didn't even take shop class in school but I know how to use wood clamps. LOL. This is my second restoration piece. Can't beat old oak furniture stability.

bnorth 10-15-2019 06:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just added this cool cheap pocket watch to my collection. Wife picked it up in China on a recent trip.:)

todeen 10-15-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1923863)
Just added this cool cheap pocket watch to my collection. Wife picked it up in China on a recent trip.:)

Interesting. My dad is into collecting watches. He doesn't have much in the way of vintage. However, he has more watches than days in the week to wear them.