Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Trimmed 91 Topps Stadium Club Griffey? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294055)

irv 12-29-2020 09:38 PM

Trimmed 91 Topps Stadium Club Griffey?

2 Attachment(s)
I was following this card tonight and noticed how much of the far right bat is missing from the PSA/PWCC card compared to my 2 copies that I purchased back in 91 that went straight from the pack into recessed screw downs.

Always wondered, with these borderless cards, how do they determine if a card is centered perfectly or not?
PSA/PWCC copy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Stadiu...p2047675.l2557

One of my copies below.

scmavl 12-29-2020 11:36 PM

I don’t think it’s trimmed for two reasons:
-It fits the slab perfectly.
-There is more of the image on the left than in your two examples. Look where the grey line hits the Stadium Club logo.
I think they’re just centered differently. But as you asked... What actually IS centered on these??

Peter_Spaeth 12-30-2020 08:12 AM

It's just a centering issue, these were cut differently. I think the Jeter rookie Stadium Club card has the same variance.

irv 12-30-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2050965)
I don’t think it’s trimmed for two reasons:
-It fits the slab perfectly.
-There is more of the image on the left than in your two examples. Look where the grey line hits the Stadium Club logo.
I think they’re just centered differently. But as you asked... What actually IS centered on these??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2051023)
It's just a centering issue, these were cut differently. I think the Jeter rookie Stadium Club card has the same variance.

Cardsagain74 (John) also brought it to my attention last night that in the PSA/PWCC one, there is more of the "S" showing on Griffey's cap than there is on the one of mine. I guess, when it comes right down to it, there likely isn't a real set of guidelines to go by with centering on these cards?
Initial thoughts, when I seen the PWCC one and compared it to mine, it was definitely trimmed.

maniac_73 12-30-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2051081)
Cardsagain74 (John) also brought it to my attention last night that in the PSA/PWCC one, there is more of the "S" showing on Griffey's cap than there is on the one of mine. I guess, when it comes right down to it, there likely isn't a real set of guidelines to go by with centering on these cards?
Initial thoughts, when I seen the PWCC one and compared it to mine, it was definitely trimmed.

I think we are in big trouble if Stadium club Griffeys are getting trimmed lol

irv 12-30-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac_73 (Post 2051093)
I think we are in big trouble if Stadium club Griffeys are getting trimmed lol

I agree with what you're saying but nothing would surprise me anymore.

I also think, if one decides that they are going to try the trimming/doctoring/grading thing, they aren't going to start out on an expensive and/or rare card to see if they are successful enough to sneak one past the TPG's.

maniac_73 12-30-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2051146)
I agree with what you're saying but nothing would surprise me anymore.

I also think, if one decides that they are going to try the trimming/doctoring/grading thing, they aren't going to start out on an expensive and/or rare card to see if they are successful enough to sneak one past the TPG's.

Excellent point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 12-30-2020 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine if you want to compare, it was worth about 25 bucks as a 10 when I bought it so I seriously doubt it's trimmed.

irv 01-01-2021 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2051212)
Here's mine if you want to compare, it was worth about 25 bucks as a 10 when I bought it so I seriously doubt it's trimmed.

Thanks Peter. :)

I loved these cards when they first came out but, IIRC, this was at the height of the boom and its sudden collapse?
I never thought I'd see the day where these cards entered the market and actually received some hobby love.
This is another Griffey favorite of mine.

Peter_Spaeth 01-01-2021 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like this one as it captures Griffey's mild rebellious side. This is actually a fairly rare variation.