Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Three Unopened Packs- Help With Values Please? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=284124)

MailboxBaseball 06-03-2020 12:28 PM

Three Unopened Packs- Help With Values Please?

Hello,
I was hoping there is someone, or multiple people perhaps, who could suggest a relative value for the following unopened packs that I have please:

1980 Topps Baseball Cello Pack with Henderson Rookie on Top and Jim Rice on the back (25 cards with the price of 39 cents on the label). All corners and edges of the pack look sharp and undamaged. Henderson is nicely centered.

1983 Topps Baseball Cello Pack with Boggs on the Top and Brewers checklist on the bottom (49 cents on the label). All corners and edges of the pack look good and are damage free. Boggs centering is good left to right, but high low centering is a little less than perfect.

1985 Topps Baseball Cello Pack with McGwire USA Baseball Team card AND on the bottom as well (59 cents on the label, 28 cards). All corners and edges of the pack look good and are damage free. McGwire centering is perfect.

Any insight is grealy appreciated!
Thanks

rgpete 06-03-2020 04:12 PM

The value is what someone will pay for those packs on that given day.

MailboxBaseball 06-03-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgpete (Post 1986918)
The value is what someone will pay for those packs on that given day.

Yes and i agree that can vary, but i was looking for more of an approximate value/range from anyone who knows a lot about unopened packs. I dont know much about unopened packs at all.

swarmee 06-03-2020 04:27 PM

All packs like that are basically considered resealed by the market until authenticated through PSA (using BBCE to confirm the packs are authentic sealed) and then graded.
If you have these packs, you should spend the money to have them graded.

And then, you're best off auctioning them through an auctionhouse.

bnorth 06-03-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1986923)
All packs like that are basically considered resealed by the market until authenticated through PSA (using BBCE to confirm the packs are authentic sealed) and then graded.
If you have these packs, you should spend the money to have them graded.

And then, you're best off auctioning them through an auctionhouse.

^this^ Can't imagine the one with the Mcgwire top and bottom not being resealed. I would send them in though. Even if they are resealed they might get past BBCE. There was a former member that got a lot of resealed pack past them.

rgpete 06-03-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MailboxBaseball (Post 1986920)
Yes and i agree that can vary, but i was looking for more of an approximate value/range from anyone who knows a lot about unopened packs. I dont know much about unopened packs at all.

Check ebay and or google to get avg values closest to your packs

Jason19th 06-03-2020 08:39 PM

I would argue that these packs should be valued at approx the value of an 7 graded card of the stars shown. The majority of a packs value is as a lottery ticket for the big card in the set. These packs really don’t have much of a mystery - there are unlikely additional Henderson’s or Boggs and I think it would be nearly impossible for their to be a third Mac. So what your really betting on is the condition of the card you can see and I think that the over under is basically a 7

swarmee 06-04-2020 03:12 AM

Well, your argument flies in the face of pack collecting, especially ones with Hall of Fame rookies showing. Since there are PSA pack collectors (and player collectors) who want these, your thoughts don't really make sense compared to market value.

Jason19th 06-04-2020 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1987026)
Well, your argument flies in the face of pack collecting, especially ones with Hall of Fame rookies showing. Since there are PSA pack collectors (and player collectors) who want these, your thoughts don't really make sense compared to market value.

I will never understand buying packs Not to open them. Not saying your wrong about the market I just don’t get it. To me it’s sort of like comic collectors who buy graded comics that they will never be able to open. And I understand you could make a similar argument about graded cards but at least you get to see the entire card

ALR-bishop 06-04-2020 07:46 AM

I have at least one unopened pack with every set in my Tops run. I know some collectors who if they have an unopened pack feel the need to eventually open it. But for me the mystery and hope of what might be in an unopened pack outweighs the likely reality I would find if I opened it. Someone can open them when I am gone

MailboxBaseball 06-04-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason19th (Post 1986993)
I would argue that these packs should be valued at approx the value of an 7 graded card of the stars shown. The majority of a packs value is as a lottery ticket for the big card in the set. These packs really don’t have much of a mystery - there are unlikely additional Henderson’s or Boggs and I think it would be nearly impossible for their to be a third Mac. So what your really betting on is the condition of the card you can see and I think that the over under is basically a 7

Hey thanks everyone for the replies

I genuinely appreciate the insight.

And on one hand I can see what youre saying Jason19th, but on the other hand I think what makes these items so special is the fact that they *aren't* opened. (Assuming they werent opened and resealed which I highly doubt, but hey anything is possible).

Not so much in terms of "maybe it s a PSA 10 inside" but more so because its rare to have a pack with a visible Henderson on top. But honestly, I'm a rookie at unopened packs so I kind of have no idea.

Thats why I had to reach out to the Net54 crew, because have no idea how to price them. I wanted to get them graded but the turnaround time is listed on PSAs site as "Over 100 Business Days" so I decided against it for now. So thanks again to everyone who replied.

In the end, I think I will have to send these in to PSA maybe later this summer once they get a little less busy.

Thanks again very much, and any additional information is welcome!

swarmee 06-05-2020 05:42 AM

They will never get less busy until they're shut down by the feds. So why not start them in the process now?