Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Black History Month? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183152)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-11-2014 10:19 AM

Black History Month?

I don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewing 02-11-2014 10:52 AM

Maybe you don't get it, because it's not your history.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-11-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewing (Post 1240038)
Maybe you don't get it, because it's not your history.

That quote made me shake my head. I come from a multi-ethnic family. What I love about America is that we are a diverse group of people. Something about devoting an entire month to one particular race seems counterintuitive to the idea of moving past racial classifications and divisiveness.

Cardboard Junkie 02-11-2014 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last year I had a beautiful girlfriend who was run over and killed in Hilo.
I asked her about "Black History Month".....her reply, "Well there was one guy who figured out 50 things to do with a peanut, and another guy who had a dream."
Rosie, (her name) was funny and worked as a standup comic, I'll miss her. :( Dave. ps Notice "Namaste" the white tiger (looks like he's walking on her shoulder........sadly, he's dead now too.:(

Leon 02-11-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1240048)
That quote made me shake my head. I come from a multi-ethnic family. What I love about America is that we are a diverse group of people. Something about devoting an entire month to one particular race seems counterintuitive to the idea of moving past racial classifications and divisiveness.

I have said this many times, I feel that those promoting "black", "Hispanic", "white" or whatever, are doing their associated groups no favors. The more we see any people singled out the longer there will be prejudice.

Can you imagine if there was a "White" history month or a Ms. White USA....or White Entertainment Television. There would be riots. I say just let it go...don't single out any people or races and we will be much better off. Until I speak with someone who WAS a slave, I will believe this way. And as for affirmative action.....what a poor, poor system. It actually hurts those intended to be helped. All imo.....

BTW, I have had a black girlfriend before, she is a great girl, it just didn't work out.

sebie43 02-11-2014 11:50 AM

Agreed as a hispanic i see no point in it, i despise cinco de mayo as its just a reason to sell beer and fritos, it is not even independence day as is widely promoted, just the anniversary of the battle of Puebla.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Leon 02-11-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebie43 (Post 1240076)
Agreed as a hispanic i see no point in it, i despise cinco de mayo as its just a reason to sell beer and fritos, it is not even independence day as is widely promoted, just the anniversary of the battle of Puebla.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

In the Marine Corps we didn't have different colors or races. You were either dark green or light green. Everyone was a Marine and that is all that counted :)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-11-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1240064)
Last year I had a beautiful girlfriend who was run over and killed in Hilo.
I asked her about "Black History Month".....her reply, "Well there was one guy who figured out 50 things to do with a peanut, and another guy who had a dream."
Rosie, (her name) was funny and worked as a standup comic, I'll miss her. :( Dave. ps Notice "Namaste" the white tiger (looks like he's walking on her shoulder........sadly, he's dead now too.:(

Sorry for your loss. Memories help us hold on to the people who are no longer with us. Thank you for sharing the story.

EvilKing00 02-11-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1240075)
I have said this many times, I feel that those promoting "black", "Hispanic", "white" or whatever, are doing their associated groups no favors. The more we see any people singled out the longer there will be prejudice.

Can you imagine if there was a "White" history month or a Ms. White USA....or White Entertainment Television. There would be riots. I say just let it go...don't single out any people or races and we will be much better off. Until I speak with someone who WAS a slave, I will believe this way. And as for affirmative action.....what a poor, poor system. It actually hurts those intended to be helped. All imo.....

BTW, I have had a black girlfriend before, she is a great girl, it just didn't work out.

Agree 10,000%

thedutymon 02-12-2014 10:51 AM

Well In The Army !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1240087)
In the Marine Corps we didn't have different colors or races. You were either dark green or light green. Everyone was a Marine and that is all that counted :)

And in the Army we had only one color "Army Green", then there was that pansy A$$ Light Green (Marine), Baby Blue/White (Pansy A$$ Squids), or Pansy A$$ Blue (Air Force).

True story, during the Cold War I was stationed at an ICBM Nuke base in Germany to protect our Air Force bretheren from the Commy's!

YeeHah

Neil

EvilKing00 02-13-2014 10:33 AM

Seems a lot of green in these posts so ill add some more -

IMO in Business there is also one color Green.

HRBAKER 02-13-2014 10:48 AM

I heard someone say once (can't remember who it was but they were notable), it seems strange to think that we can get along better by continually pointing out how different we are.