Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BVG grading: yes? no? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166513)

RedlegsFan 04-04-2013 03:47 AM

BVG grading: yes? no?

I have a direct source to the Beckett grading company. I get a pretty decent deal, and thinking of getting a few pre war cards graded/authenticated. I dont see too many BVG pre war cards for sale in net54. So, I am wondering if paying for about 8 pre war cards to be slabbed BVG would help boost their sale on these forums? Thanks.

_Wes

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Rich Klein 04-04-2013 04:53 AM

Most of the graders at Beckett

have been there for a decade or more and have tons of experience and I would frankly match Andy Broome against just about anyone as a vintage grader

Rich

Peter_Spaeth 04-04-2013 05:07 AM

Personally, just based on 50s and 60s cards I have viewed on ebay, I dont have a lot of confidence.

Ladder7 04-04-2013 05:07 AM

Fair, accurate, grading and iron-clad slabs. Just can't get past their, to be kind, pretentious BCCG brand.

tiger8mush 04-04-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedlegsFan (Post 1112277)
So, I am wondering if paying for about 8 pre war cards to be slabbed BVG would help boost their sale on these forums? Thanks.

If I had to choose a company to slab/protect my card (irregardless of what grade gets put on the flip) I'd choose BVG. Their holders do the best job of actually PROTECTING the card. But I store many of my cards raw in binders.

To answer your question, I think it'll depend on what the 8 cards are. Many on this board care about the card and not about what holder it is in. Are they vintage cards? Post-war? High grade or lower grade? The only way I think they may sell higher than non-slabbed is if they are high grade vintage cards and a TPG looks at them to ensure they aren't altered. Otherwise, save your money. Beckett just redid their online registry so maybe in a couple years they can start being competitive with the SGC/PSA registries so that their holders bring a premium.

AMBST95 04-04-2013 05:39 AM

I don't think they'll boost sales price any more than a SGC or PSA slab, but some collectors will pay a premium to keep their set uniform and there are by far more PSA and SGC collections so you may limit your buyer pool.

bbcard1 04-04-2013 05:47 AM

they are hard to break out....

Leon 04-04-2013 05:48 AM

I consider some of the graders friends at BVG.....but regardless of that I absolutely respect their grading as much or more than any TPG. If it is a registry card (very high grade) and you can get some registry guys chasing it , then PSA might bring more money. Also, as mentioned, if someone has all of their cards in a certain TPG holder then going with that TPG might net more. WE had quite a few BVG cards in our last auction and I am fairly sure their grading helped the prices. Just one opinion here....

glynparson 04-04-2013 06:00 AM

I'd vote No

Not a fan at all. Still see way to many high grade cards with "issues" in my opinion.

tschock 04-04-2013 08:09 AM

I won a BVG grading voucher at the Net54 dinner last year (thanks Leon, Net54, Beckett) and FINALLY sent some cards in around Christmas time. :)

I sent in 5 T205s and 2 T206s and all came back right around what I expected and within their stated turn-around time. However 1 holder had a crack on the corner that I didn't notice at first, but you could see where the box they came in had a chunk dented on the edge like something fell on it. I was going to send it back but realized a Beckett grading rep was going to be at a local show so I waited to save on shipping. He took the card no questions asked and I had the re-slab back in a week.

My personal one-time experience (so far)... grading was as expected, holders are nice, and service was superb. I can't speak to resale value though.

Sean1125 04-04-2013 08:11 AM

I believe they overgrade .5-1 grade more than other companies. I've had several cards that were 8's but too off center for another company to give them that grade - don't get me wrong they still got a premium - but I think it is a crapshoot with beckett, if you get the same grade PSA or SGC gives you the $$ is less.

Taxman 04-04-2013 08:30 AM

Beckett

Great holder...tamper evident...Also, Mark (which is a board member) offers awesome customer service.

botn 04-04-2013 09:35 AM

On my modern issue submissions they seem to get it right but simply looking on eBay there are too many 50s-70s cards which seem suspect and prices realized reflect it or at least a public's lack of confidence in their legitimacy.

E93 04-04-2013 10:33 AM

I don't know the graders, but it is hard to imagine they have anywhere near the experience with vintage (pre-WWII) than either SGC or PSA.
JimB

HOF Auto Rookies 04-04-2013 10:48 AM

They are really strict at grading, and usually command the best prices, I think PSA will bring in more money with pre-war items. BGS is the go to the modern, but they are the best I've used, even though they may have hurt me half a grade with how strict they are.

tschock 04-04-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 1112422)
I don't know the graders, but it is hard to imagine they have anywhere near the experience with vintage (pre-WWII) than either SGC or PSA.
JimB

Jim,

I'm a little confused by this basis for this statement.

Are you referring to authenticating a card or grading a card? I understand that authentication is part of the grading process, and assuming the card you are grading is authentic (for now), is the actual "grading" process and criteria for condition of the card any different for a '75 Topps card than a T206?

sbfinley 04-04-2013 11:01 AM

Like someone else stated, I have confidence in BGS and BVG - but their inclusion of BCCG completely baffles me. I own several BVG graded cards and would not hesitate to purchase more.

smtjoy 04-04-2013 11:37 AM

I don't have any issues buying BVG cards but I don't place any premium and might even discount my price a little. I will not send a submission to them because of their BCCG grading thing.

RedlegsFan 04-05-2013 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the input guys! By the way, for those wondering, I was referring to some tobacco cards and diamond stars to send in.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

midwaylandscaping 04-05-2013 03:49 PM

I stick with PSA/SGC myself. Beckett's put out the magazine for years, mass distribution, and they also grade cards. It's probably picky of me but I see conflict of interest. Beckette Price guide is not the same as PSA's SMR. Holders look nice. I believe they would survive small arms fire :D. But I just don't use or buy BVG/BGS and certainly not BCCG

teetwoohsix 04-05-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladder7 (Post 1112285)
Fair, accurate, grading and iron-clad slabs. Just can't get past their, to be kind, pretentious BCCG brand.

+1

Sincerely, Clayton