Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Charlton Heston? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=321081)

Jim65 06-15-2022 06:25 AM

Charlton Heston?

2 Attachment(s)
These were found in a book I purchased at a garage sale.
Does anyone have an opinion on authenticity?

earlywynnfan 06-15-2022 12:15 PM

I'd hit ebay first and see if the photo is an autopen.

Jim65 06-15-2022 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 2234459)
I'd hit ebay first and see if the photo is an autopen.

I know almost nothing about autographs, how can I tell if one is an autopen?

gonefishin 06-15-2022 02:27 PM

Great recommendation regarding the autopen. An easy method, although not fool proof, is to do an on-line search for the photo. You will be able to find your exact photo. Compare the one you have with the one on line. Check the signature and see if it is exactly the same placement or different. If different, it increases the probability of it being real - it doesn't mean it is authentic - but probably a live signature.

You can find your photo easily, I did.

Jim65 06-15-2022 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2234502)
Great recommendation regarding the autopen. An easy method, although not fool proof, is to do an on-line search for the photo. You will be able to find your exact photo. Compare the one you have with the one on line. Check the signature and see if it is exactly the same placement or different. If different, it increases the probability of it being real - it doesn't mean it is authentic - but probably a live signature.

You can find your photo easily, I did.

Thanks for the response.

So, autopens will always have the same exact placement and the autographs will be identical?

I just checked Ebay and theres quite a few, they all have some differences from mine, in placement and autograph itself.

gonefishin 06-15-2022 02:52 PM

The short answer is yes, autopen is when a machine duplicates an autograph by a mechanical means. Facsimile is when it is reproduced via a printed copy. An authentic autograph is when someone signs something in person.

Just because it contains a real/live autograph doesn't mean that it is authentic - the actual person signed it. Someone else may have forged it.

My guess it is probably real. It looks like this was some sort of "Hand out" that was given away at public appearances, etc. Heston autographs are very common and relatively inexpensive so I would doubt that it is a forgery.

Hope this helps.

Jim65 06-15-2022 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2234518)
The short answer is yes, autopen is when a machine duplicates an autograph by a mechanical means. Facsimile is when it is reproduced via a printed copy. An authentic autograph is when someone signs something in person.

Just because it contains a real/live autograph doesn't mean that it is authentic - the actual person signed it. Someone else may have forged it.

My guess it is probably real. It looks like this was some sort of "Hand out" that was given away at public appearances, etc. Heston autographs are very common and relatively inexpensive so I would doubt that it is a forgery.

Hope this helps.

Sure does, thanks.

David Atkatz 06-15-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2234512)
So, autopens will always have the same exact placement and the autographs will be identical?

No.
An autopen signature can have any placement. But all signatures from the same master will be identical.

frankbmd 06-15-2022 04:30 PM

At work at the hospital one day, I rode the elevator going up. The door opened and there he was, Charlton Heston, coming aboard. I was just glad he wasn't followed by the Red Sea. Didn't even think of getting his autograph, but I did help him find the room he was looking for. ;)

sreader3 06-15-2022 05:13 PM

“Sometimes, to be silent is to be most eloquent.”
-- Charlton Heston

You were most eloquent Frank!

ocjack 06-15-2022 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2234549)
At work at the hospital one day, I rode the elevator going up. The door opened and there he was, Charlton Heston, coming aboard.

You mean the doors parted.......

frankbmd 06-15-2022 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocjack (Post 2234597)
You mean the doors parted.......

Indeed, the doors parted and his feet were dry.

mr2686 06-15-2022 09:39 PM

Was that the freight elevator? Must of been to have taken you, Mr. Heston and two heavy stone tablets.

5-Tool Player 06-17-2022 06:12 PM

You've got to tell them !........Charlton Heston screaming.....Soylent Green is PEOPLE. ! ! !

ATP 06-24-2022 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2234387)
These were found in a book I purchased at a garage sale.
Does anyone have an opinion on authenticity?

I believe that most collectors consider this variation of Heston's autograph to be secretarial via through the mail. I think the tell is the "R" right before the "L" in Charlton looking more like and "L" than it should.