Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Most popular hockey cards of all time ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=296183)

goldenage 02-06-2021 09:46 AM

Most popular hockey cards of all time ?

What player or cards have you seen traded the most over your years of collecting ? I know there are Orr collectors, Gretzky collectors, Lemieux, Richard, Howe, etc.

I haven't checked ebay sales, but I would assume Gretzky and Lemieux have a slight upper hand on Orr, Howe, and the Canadiens great ones.

A more specific question could be which year of Gretzky trades the most ?
Is it his rookie, 2nd year, or doesn't matter ?

I think with Mario it's all about the rookie.

I think with Orr it doesn't matter, and some prefer not to own his rookie as they feel it doesn't have the eye appeal that some of his other cards have.

Your thoughts ?

jb217676 02-06-2021 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1954 Topps Howe, one of my faves of all time!

Tomi 02-06-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenage (Post 2065101)
What player or cards have you seen traded the most over your years of collecting ? I know there are Orr collectors, Gretzky collectors, Lemieux, Richard, Howe, etc.

I haven't checked ebay sales, but I would assume Gretzky and Lemieux have a slight upper hand on Orr, Howe, and the Canadiens great ones.

I think with Mario it's all about the rookie.

I think with Orr it doesn't matter, and some prefer not to own his rookie as they feel it doesn't have the eye appeal that some of his other cards have.

Your thoughts ?

It's not that the Orr rookie doesn't have eye appeal, it's because it's a lot of money even in the lowest grade. No matter how much nicer a players other cards look the rookie will always be the most desirable.

goldenage 02-06-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomi (Post 2065120)
It's not that the Orr rookie doesn't have eye appeal, it's because it's a lot of money even in the lowest grade. No matter how much nicer a players other cards look the rookie will always be the most desirable.

I sold my PSA 8 Orr rookie years ago because besides his Chicago cards, it was my least favorite. 70 opc #3 is right up there also.

My favorites are his 71 opc double trophy along with his 78 Canada Cup special, and 67 Topps.

You can pick up low grade Orr rookies for 1-2k.

goldenage 02-06-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 2065103)
1954 Topps Howe, one of my faves of all time!

Absolutely love this Gordie. It's right up there with his 63 Parkie. If that's yours, it's one beautiful card.
Funny thing about that card is that most players during that time could not perform the skill that Gordie is doing on that card.
He's doing an outside edge one skate stop. Something you'll see today's players do all the time, but many of the players during Gordie's time
could not perfect that.

jb217676 02-06-2021 11:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Golden for the compliment on my Howe, bought that card in that holder almost ten years ago! Here are a few more that have some of my favourite images...

samosa4u 02-06-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Yes, and there are a few reasons for that. Firstly, majority of the buyers pushing the market today watched Gretzky and Lemieux play, but not Orr, Howe and Richard, etc. Secondly, the Gretzky and Lemieux rookies, for a long time, were pretty cheap. Even today, it's much cheaper to pick-up a low grade Gretzky or Lemieux compared to the others. For example, a PSA 1 Howe rookie is over $3,000 USD now and a PSA 1 Orr rookie is about $2,500 USD! So, it only makes sense that these cards are not going to be as popular because most people don't have that kind of money to spend.

Quote:

Rookie, obviously.

Quote:

It's no different with Bobby Orr. Look at the price difference between his rookie and his second-year card. You can buy his 67' Topps in PSA 7 for about a thousand US, and his rookie in the same grade is about twenty-five times this amount! Everybody wants his rookie, period.