Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1st 5 HOF (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344529)

JackR 12-31-2023 02:01 PM

1st 5 HOF

1 Attachment(s)
As we start the New Year, could we see your ONE PHOTO of the first five HOF’ers?

robw1959 12-31-2023 02:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Best I can do at the moment . . .

doug.goodman 12-31-2023 02:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Mine...

ldrunner27 12-31-2023 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine

Rhotchkiss 12-31-2023 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fun thread

hcv123 12-31-2023 03:24 PM

Only 3/5 in cards

3 Attachment(s)
I've got some great publications with Matty and WaJo. No pictures handy.

Casey2296 12-31-2023 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2401043)
Fun thread

Ha! That would be a mic drop posting Ryan. Fun stuff.

x2drich2000 12-31-2023 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guess I still need an oversized Mathewson.

4815162342 12-31-2023 04:03 PM

Quote:

Fun thread

My gosh. Close the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beercan collector 12-31-2023 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 2401067)
My gosh. Close the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoL .. i’m proud to have a Ruth and a Cobb ,
Can I sub in Cy Young and a couple of reprints ?

GaryPassamonte 12-31-2023 04:38 PM

Quote:

Fun thread

Quite possibly the best five card grouping in one post ever on Net54.

Rhotchkiss 12-31-2023 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte (Post 2401075)

Lol and thanks (all). It’s a bit of a douchey post, but I couldn’t help it. Happy New Year everyone!

joshuanip 12-31-2023 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2401089)
Lol and thanks (all). It’s a bit of a douchey post, but I couldn’t help it. Happy New Year everyone!

Absolutely not; thanks for the awesome share. Been a while since I posted, so I'll post these guys.

brunswickreeves 12-31-2023 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2401089)

Not at all! Brings such joy seeing them all together and knowing one of us has made it!

brunswickreeves 12-31-2023 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
2nd owner of this incredibly scarce (1 of 9 total graded) 1910 W-UNC Wagner, put back into the hobby via a trade for a dream card. And all 5 from a Post Card set.

brianp-beme 12-31-2023 06:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got two of the five (Mathewson and Johnson) in my first prewar purchase, and other three followed eventually.

Brian

brianp-beme 12-31-2023 06:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thought I would do something productive with my accidental double post, so I gave Ryan's first five a little chiropractic work.

Brian

h2oya311 12-31-2023 08:09 PM

First 5:

https://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...907%20Cobb.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...100%20Ruth.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...nnial%2024.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...%20Johnson.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...0Mathewson.jpg

Clearly I could use a Wagner improvement…fun thread!

Casey2296 12-31-2023 08:19 PM

Love that Johnson portrait Derek.

Rhotchkiss 12-31-2023 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2401153)
Love that Johnson portrait Derek.

Agree. Was it cut from a composite?

cliffyb 12-31-2023 08:32 PM

1st 5

Deleted since my pics didn't fit the thread. My mistake. Happy New Year!

StraightRaceCards 12-31-2023 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have the Matty portrait, but here is my inaugural hall of fame wall display in my office / card room

Unfortunately don’t know how to re-orientate the second photo

brianp-beme 12-31-2023 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I could get a job at a tire shop.

Brian

h2oya311 12-31-2023 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2401154)
Agree. Was it cut from a composite?

It was actually a postcard from the Big Train’s rookie season (1907, away jersey) according to Hank. I think it was cut for a photo album or some other oval shaped display, although it does remind me of the shapes used for composite photos during that era. It’s definitely my favorite image of WaJo. And the fact that it’s on cardboard stock (postcard) makes it that much more appealing to me. Thanks for the nice words!

Kawika 01-01-2024 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cobb Stealing Third - Graig Kreindler
"The pitcher commences to get nervous" - Paul Thompson photo
M110 Sporting Life Honus Wagner
1914 Cracker Jack Christy Mathewson
1925 Exhibits Walter Johnson (autographed)

p1ayba11 01-01-2024 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting post - thanks! Although not vintage, I’ve always liked this Fleer set as can find all of the First 5 in the same set….

cgjackson222 01-01-2024 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Really wish I'd picked up a Wagner before the prices skyrocketed.
Would love to pick up his Novelty Cutlery pose or the Pinkerton Cabinet.

insidethewrapper 01-01-2024 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great photo. Caption reads throws at 122 feet per second, that is only 83mph. I think he threw faster than that . Any other sources.

yanksfan09 01-01-2024 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some black and whites of each!

Hankphenom 01-01-2024 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 2401174)
It was actually a postcard from the Big Train’s rookie season (1907, away jersey) according to Hank. I think it was cut for a photo album or some other oval shaped display, although it does remind me of the shapes used for composite photos during that era. It’s definitely my favorite image of WaJo. And the fact that it’s on cardboard stock (postcard) makes it that much more appealing to me. Thanks for the nice words!

That spectacular piece was pasted to the bottom of a Type I photo of WaJo in his classic pitching form (the cover of my paperback, see Amazon.com) in a framed collage of photos I believe to have been assembled by my grandmother for a 1929 banquet to honor new Nationals manager Walter Johnson back from spring training to start that season. The collage hung in the den of the house I grew up in in Chevy Chase D.C. until Mom left the house several years ago after 60 years, at which time it was disassembled and most of the photos sold at auction. I kept this one for a while, then sold it on the B/S/T a couple years ago. I've always assumed it had been cut from a large 1907 team photo, although one cringes at the thought. I don't believe my grandmother would ever have done that, as she was quite the archivist of his career, more probably Walter himself as a callow youth, or his Mom at the request of some newspaperman for a photo, etc. I've always loved this image, and it's in my book. Quite the handsome young man, no? And oh, by the way, have you seen him throw the ball?

h2oya311 01-01-2024 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2401319)
That spectacular piece was pasted to the bottom of a Type I photo of WaJo in his classic pitching form (the cover of my paperback, see Amazon.com) in a framed collage of photos I believe to have been assembled by my grandmother for a 1929 banquet to honor new Nationals manager Walter Johnson back from spring training to start that season. The collage hung in the den of the house I grew up in in Chevy Chase D.C. until Mom left the house several years ago after 60 years, at which time it was disassembled and most of the photos sold at auction. I kept this one for a while, then sold it on the B/S/T a couple years ago. I've always assumed it had been cut from a large 1907 team photo, although one cringes at the thought. I don't believe my grandmother would ever have done that, as she was quite the archivist of his career, more probably Walter himself as a callow youth, or his Mom at the request of some newspaperman for a photo, etc. I've always loved this image, and it's in my book. Quite the handsome young man, no? And oh, by the way, have you seen him throw the ball?

Thanks Hank! Appreciate your insight. I was the one who was fortunate enough to have purchased it from you on the BST. All I know is that it was most definitely cut from a postcard and had, at one point, been sent in the mail to Fullerton, California based on the back stamping. It has an Artura postcard back stamp box, so would have been issued between 1908-1924 according to Playle's. I'd like to believe it has a 1907 image and his baby face certainly suggests that it was issued very early in his illustrious career. Here's the back:

https://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...%20Johnson.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...n%20_back_.jpg

from Playle's:
https://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...ize/Artura.jpg

Hankphenom 01-01-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 2401332)
Thanks Hank! Appreciate your insight. I was the one who was fortunate enough to have purchased it from you on the BST. All I know is that it was most definitely cut from a postcard and had, at one point, been sent in the mail to Fullerton, California based on the back stamping. It has an Artura postcard back stamp box, so would have been issued between 1908-1924 according to Playle's. I'd like to believe it has a 1907 image and his baby face certainly suggests that it was issued very early in his illustrious career. Here's the back:
https://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...%20Johnson.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...n%20_back_.jpg
from Playle's:https://photos.imageevent.com/derekg...ize/Artura.jpg

Hi Derek,
I wouldn't completely discount the possibility it was cut from a team photo just because it's postmarked and has a stamp box. Larger photos might have
been made into RPPCs for mailing purposes, too, I think. And it could be a 1907 photo made into an RPPC at a later date--they lived in Fullerton until early 1910. The photo and size just look to me to suggest that it wasn't an individual portrait to begin with. As for the year, I know that was their road uni in 1907, not sure about beyond that. And, as you say, he looks so very young here. Some mysteries will never be solved, but they don't all need to be.

Gorditadogg 01-01-2024 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robw1959 (Post 2401031)
Best I can do at the moment . . .

Fail.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Gorditadogg 01-01-2024 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2401033)
Mine...

Fail.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

jacksons 01-01-2024 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 2401288)
Great photo. Caption reads throws at 122 feet per second, that is only 83mph. I think he threw faster than that . Any other sources.

Watch the documentary “Fastball”. All depends on where the ball was being tracked on its path from mound to plate. Later analysis showed Johnson’s 122 fps was captured nearly behind home plate. A more accurate measurement to today’s radar standards was around 95 mph.

glchen 01-01-2024 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte (Post 2401075)

+1, completely agree here. Incredible grouping!

Casey2296 01-01-2024 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 2401368)

Awesome Garter Gary.

h2oya311 01-01-2024 10:06 PM

Nice grouping Gary! I love the diversity of items in this thread…

Rhotchkiss 01-01-2024 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 2401368)

Pretty F-ing awesome yourself! Agree, the Garter is the bee’s knees

oldjudge 01-02-2024 02:56 AM

Incredible cards, guys!
Ryan--Not many people in the hobby could top that group.

t206fanatic 01-02-2024 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Seven 01-02-2024 08:44 AM

Quote:

Fun thread

I can't even comprehend this. Your living the dream. By any chance are you looking to adopt a grown adult? :D

How does one even pull this off?

Hankphenom 01-02-2024 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksons (Post 2401361)
Watch the documentary “Fastball”. All depends on where the ball was being tracked on its path from mound to plate. Later analysis showed Johnson’s 122 fps was captured nearly behind home plate. A more accurate measurement to today’s radar standards was around 95 mph.

There was so much wrong with the 1912 attempt to measure his speed, one hardly knows where to begin, and the results totally invalid if not downright laughable. This was done at the Remington Arms Works on a device designed to measure the speed of bullets, so he had to throw the ball overhand (not his stlyle) through a series of hanging wires that registered that position and then when the ball hit the back of the device that also registered and the time it took for the ball to pass between them measured the speed. Presumably, a bullet would only hit one wire on its way to the wall, whereas who knows how many a ball would hit to slow it down before hitting the wall. He was also in street clothes (long sleeve shirt and tie) and had no warmup. For what it's worth, he did measure considerably faster than Nap Rucker, chosen as the fastest in the NL. To my knowledge, Walter's fastball never did get any kind of accurate measurement, but if you know what the batter's said about it you get some idea. First of all, it made a sound as it crossed the plate: Sam Crawford called it a "whoosh" and Cobb described it as a "hiss." I'm not aware of any other pitcher's ball they've said that about. Plenty of players lived long enough to compare Walter to other speedballers they saw through Nolan Ryan: I challenge you to find me one who said that any other pitcher was faster. Want my honest opinion? He threw 100 whenever he wanted to, and when he reached back for that little something extra, he'd have popped 103-105 on a gun. Look at his record, and realize he never had a great outpitch like all the other great pitchers throughout baseball history--every one of them. WaJo's arm was special, like the Babe was special at hitting the ball. It's right there in the record books.

glchen 01-02-2024 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 2401388)
Nice grouping Gary! I love the diversity of items in this thread…

Thanks, Casey, Derek, and Ryan! I love seeing the different cards in this thread also.

puckpaul 01-02-2024 11:18 AM

First 5

1 Attachment(s)
Picked out a few different ones for today’s post. Sorry pictures arent better for some….

hammertime 01-02-2024 02:47 PM

My humble contribution.
https://www.heavy45s.com/sketch-1704...py_768x854.png

jacksons 01-02-2024 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2401497)
There was so much wrong with the 1912 attempt to measure his speed, one hardly knows where to begin, and the results totally invalid if not downright laughable. This was done at the Remington Arms Works on a device designed to measure the speed of bullets, so he had to throw the ball overhand (not his stlyle) through a series of hanging wires that registered that position and then when the ball hit the back of the device that also registered and the time it took for the ball to pass between them measured the speed. Presumably, a bullet would only hit one wire on its way to the wall, whereas who knows how many a ball would hit to slow it down before hitting the wall. He was also in street clothes (long sleeve shirt and tie) and had no warmup. For what it's worth, he did measure considerably faster than Nap Rucker, chosen as the fastest in the NL. To my knowledge, Walter's fastball never did get any kind of accurate measurement, but if you know what the batter's said about it you get some idea. First of all, it made a sound as it crossed the plate: Sam Crawford called it a "whoosh" and Cobb described it as a "hiss." I'm not aware of any other pitcher's ball they've said that about. Plenty of players lived long enough to compare Walter to other speedballers they saw through Nolan Ryan: I challenge you to find me one who said that any other pitcher was faster. Want my honest opinion? He threw 100 whenever he wanted to, and when he reached back for that little something extra, he'd have popped 103-105 on a gun. Look at his record, and realize he never had a great outpitch like all the other great pitchers throughout baseball history--every one of them. WaJo's arm was special, like the Babe was special at hitting the ball. It's right there in the record books.

It’s a fun debate for sure. I would be shocked though if deadball hurlers topped 100mph, and I don’t think they even needed to. 95 was fast enough against those bats of the time. Johnson’s delivery and arm slot may have helped his velocity but his locked left leg on plant probably didn’t. Either way he was likely the fastest of his era.

BabyRuth 01-02-2024 04:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
my 5

Rhotchkiss 01-02-2024 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some great cards/items. Here is another first-5 pack. Unfortunately, my Wajo collection is not very deep, two Ramlys and the balance in sets that I don’t feel like going through.

Keep’em coming

And Hi Jack!! Happy new year! I just realized you started this great thread

Hankphenom 01-02-2024 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksons (Post 2401588)
It’s a fun debate for sure. I would be shocked though if deadball hurlers topped 100mph, and I don’t think they even needed to. 95 was fast enough against those bats of the time. Johnson’s delivery and arm slot may have helped his velocity but his locked left leg on plant probably didn’t. Either way he was likely the fastest of his era.

It is fun to discuss, for sure, and especially for me. Walter held the strikeout record for 63 years, through so many great pitchers, and as I said, he didn't have an outpitch. This against "Punch and Judy"-type hitters for most of his career, only a few years in the free-swinging home run era ushered in by the Babe. If you apply the percentage of batter K's today to his time, he ends up with something like 7,000. Again, no curve, no slider, no forkball, not much of a changeup. Fastballs, just fastballs, one after the other. They all said you knew what was coming and you knew where it was going to be because his control was so good, and you still couldn't hit it. Imagine if he had been with the Red Sox, Athletics, or any of a number of other good teams of his time instead of the lowly Senators. The mind boggles.