Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Early Caramel Cards Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294782)

robw1959 01-13-2021 06:29 PM

Early Caramel Cards Question

Here's one for the historians on here: We know how tobacco cards were marketed, for the most part, but does anyone know how caramel cards were marketed? My guess would be in a fashion similar to how Topps included their bubble gum - in unwrapped slabs. I think that because of the staining. However, there were several caramel companies back then, so did they all bring their card issues to market the same way, or did one or more choose to depart from the norms of the day?

Maybe some of you can add to, or subtract from the details here. Thanks!

111gecko 01-13-2021 06:45 PM

Caramel

I collect a lot of caramels. These are my go-to spots along with Old Cardboard. Tons of info. Probably my favorite cards to collect over the past couple of years. I wish there were more photos (or any) of packs on a store counter, unopened packs, advertising etc. Seems to be a lot of tobacco, but to your question...doesn't seem to be a lot to have a good history or timeline. Great Post!!!

https://prewarcards.com/pre-war-card...e-cards-candy/

http://www.caramel-cards.com/cards.html

Leon 01-13-2021 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by robw1959 (Post 2055704)
Here's one for the historians on here: We know how tobacco cards were marketed, for the most part, but does anyone know how caramel cards were marketed? My guess would be in a fashion similar to how Topps included their bubble gum - in unwrapped slabs. I think that because of the staining. However, there were several caramel companies back then, so did they all bring their card issues to market the same way, or one or more choose to depart from the norms of the day?

Maybe some of you can add to, or subtract from the details here. Thanks!

I believe a lot of the caramel cards were probably issued in packs of caramel. Not much has been found on their packaging except some of the boxes that have cards cut from them. I know there are some mello mint wrappers (1-2) around also.

Not caramel but this is the only W575-1 package I have ever seen (shown before).. All 20 cards came in it.

Bridwell 01-13-2021 07:59 PM

Box of caramels

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an old ad I had found in an online search many years ago. It's grainy, but maybe someone can figure out what cards those are.

judsonhamlin 01-13-2021 08:29 PM

That looks like an E90 Grant and a Navy Caramel card on top

GasHouseGang 01-13-2021 09:04 PM

After the Black Swamp find of E98's, it was speculated that those were given out one at a time by the shop owner when you bought the candy. Otherwise, those cards wouldn't have been stashed away like they were and in mint to near mint condition.

brianp-beme 01-14-2021 01:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by judsonhamlin (Post 2055748)
That looks like an E90 Grant and a Navy Caramel card on top

I came on here to mention that it looks like Grant, but after searching for the E90-1 Grant image on the internet I noticed that Judson beat me with his post. At least I can provide some visuals to back us up.

Brian (not my card)

pkaufman 01-14-2021 04:55 AM

I think I see some American Caramel boxers.

irishdenny 01-14-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkaufman (Post 2055781)

Jus read through Erik Varon's 'Sweet Recollections:' ,

& Your Input was Highly Noted...

Very Cool to have Knowledge at Your finger tips from those You've Bought and Traded Cards wit... :)

robw1959 01-14-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 2055757)
After the Black Swamp find of E98's, it was speculated that those were given out one at a time by the shop owner when you bought the candy. Otherwise, those cards wouldn't have been stashed away like they were and in mint to near mint condition.

This is news to me, as I recall reading that the original owner was a dealer who just decided to put some of his stock away for safekeeping, possibly intending to pass them on to his descendants

Casey2296 01-14-2021 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good post Rob, so little is known about this subject. Here's a little something I found to go with my E-224's.

GasHouseGang 01-14-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robw1959 (Post 2055969)
This is news to me, as I recall reading that the original owner was a dealer who just decided to put some of his stock away for safekeeping, possibly intending to pass them on to his descendants

We had this from Net54 back when they were found in 2012:

"There is no doubt these were never put into caramels. Barry I agree there was a connection between the owner of these cards and the maker of these cards. There is no way in the world someone collected 43 Bridwell's in 8 or better condition, or 15 Cobb's in a 9. With 700 cards recently added to the PSA Pop report from the "Find", maybe we'll inevitably find out who the producer of the cards were as well. Great story, but I'm sure there's more to the come...."

And this from another poster in the same thread:

"Interesting story, but sorry, no tobacco cards. These cards were meant to be handed out with candy. The best we can figure, Carl Hench, a German immigrant who spoke only broken English, received the cards as promotional items, and instead of handing them out, put them in a box in the attic instead. They were in a stack of boxes which contained his children's school papers. (The (one) aunt wasn't the only one who didn't throw things out.) Also in the attic was his brother's steamer trunk from his trip to America, old gas lamp fixtures (after the house was converted to electricity) and the grandma's clothes, still folded up in a dresser.
Jean Hench didn't like to throw anything out, but the house wasn't "full to the rafters" either. Many of the items in the house were of historical value to the family - Carl Hench's 1909 wedding shoes, newspaper clippings (from the flood of 1913, the start and end of WWII and the VietNam war), old toys and games, lots and lots of pictures - things from their lives through the years. Sorry, I don't have the box, but I do have the doll house. If you tell me how to upload a picture, I will gladly do so.
I have been following your chatter since day 1. As Karl said, we have learned much and enjoyed your input. Thank you!"

Maybe I misunderstood this post, but it sounded like they thought they were handed out with the product rather than in packages with caramels.

robw1959 01-14-2021 10:00 PM

I originally postulated that the early caramel cards were normally inserted into candy packages much in the same manner that Topps inserted their sports cards into bubble gum packages chiefly because of the caramel staining that is so common on these cards.

Now the Black Swamp cards are an entirely different topic, and obviously received a caramel-free treatment from issue to distribution.

Thanks to all who have chimed in so far. I was hoping somebody would have an early caramel candy container for reference, much like we still have those early tobacco packs in circulation today.

G1911 01-14-2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkaufman (Post 2055781)

Look like E75/E76 for sure, I see Sullivan for one.

Bridwell 01-16-2021 12:07 PM

Caramel Box

1 Attachment(s)
It would be great if some collectors can identify some of the other cards in the ad.

G1911 01-17-2021 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridwell (Post 2056593)
It would be great if some collectors can identify some of the other cards in the ad.

Far right top corner, far right in row 2, and 4th card in bottom row from left are all E75 or E76 (impossible to discern which). Bottom is Sullivan, middle card is Terry McGovern I think. The top one could be several that all have a similar pose, Sharkey it looks most like to me.