Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1920 Babe Ruth plays 10 games in Cuba vs Habana - Almendares (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=333346)

Roland 49 03-24-2023 06:13 PM

1920 Babe Ruth plays 10 games in Cuba vs Habana - Almendares

3 Attachment(s)
1920 Babe Ruth plays 10 games in Cuba vs. Havana and Almendares. The Cuban baseball promoter Abel Linares invites Babe Ruth to play 10 games in Havana for the sum of $20,000 dollars and Ruth accepts and comes with the New York team and his manager John McGraw, also for $3,000 dollars he plays in Santiago de Cuba 2 games in the grounds of Campo Rojo, that was a separate contract by promoters of that city, in one of the games played in Havana the hero was Cristobal Torriente by giving 3 home runs in one game, it is an interesting story, but I mention something about what happened in those days, Ruth, almost every night he went to play Fronton de Jai Alai, and made big bets, also at the Oriental Park Hippodrome, in the end he said that he had lost almost all the money won in Cuba, but I was happy. I show forums of the letter that Ruth sent to Abel Linares accepting the trip, a photo of a ball signed by the one who hit a home run (that ball was going to be mine, but when they took me to the place of sale an hour before, Yuyo Ruiz bought it, I took it to my house the next day so I could see it and have it in my hands) photo of Babe in the Frontón, photo of Almendares 1920 and photo of Campo Rojo in 1904, in 1920 Ruth played on those grounds.

Roland 49 03-24-2023 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Campo Rojo in Santiago de Cuba

Roland 49 03-24-2023 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Babe Ruth autograph 1920

Schlesinj 03-25-2023 06:07 AM

Great story and funny babe lost all his money betting.

Scocs 03-25-2023 06:22 AM

That was the series that helped immortalize Cristobal Torriente as he out hit Babe Ruth and slugged three home runs in one game.

In the Almendares team photo above, he’s pictured on the far left at the end.

Leon 03-27-2023 08:45 AM

Thanks for posting, Roland. Great stuff as usual

darwinbulldog 03-27-2023 12:44 PM

Funny about the jai alai since it has to be played right-handed.

Roland 49 03-27-2023 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Babe Ruth at bat, in Almendares Park 1920

Leon 03-29-2023 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland 49 (Post 2327356)
Babe Ruth at bat, in Almendares Park 1920

That's a great Babe photo!

Roland 49 03-29-2023 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Babe Ruth in Havana 1920, Almendares Park, and New York Giants, manager John McGraw

JollyElm 03-30-2023 03:22 AM

Are you suggesting John McGraw is the guy in the front row at far right? Not much of a resemblance there, but maybe it's just the angle of the photograph or something? Can you post other pictures of him from these games to use as a comparison? Hopefully, I'm wrong.

BeanTown 03-30-2023 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not Babe Ruth here, but Ty Cobb when he played in Cuba at Almendares park back in 1910. I think the Tigers played around 10 exhibition games there and Cobb came in to play in 3 or 4 of them.

Roland 49 03-30-2023 11:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Jollyelm, you say that the one on the far right does not believe he is John McGraw, I will tell you that he played in Cuba in 1891, in 1911 he brought the New York Giants team to Cuba, and over many years he did the same, in 1920 with Babe Ruth, later he came almost every year due to business in Cuba, there is a lot to write about him, I show how he asked me for photos of John McGraw, the 1st one I already published and you have doubts, the 2nd of him and look at the resemblance, the 3rd is from 1911 at Almendares Park, there was a big discussion and the police had to intervene, what happened in that game is a very interesting story, in that photo you will see a red arrow that I put above his head.

JollyElm 03-31-2023 02:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My quote was such:
"Are you suggesting John McGraw is the guy in the front row at far right? Not much of a resemblance there, but maybe it's just the angle of the photograph or something?"

And when I asked for other pictures, I OBVIOUSLY wasn't doubting that he was there, I wanted to see if maybe there were other pictures showing him in street clothes and a 'cowboy' hat sort of thing, but what you posted was a pic of him in uniform, as he seemingly always was when at the field, and you can't see enough of his face to compare it to the chubby white gentleman in the first picture.

Attachment 565167

Roland 49 03-31-2023 10:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Babe Ruth in Almendares Park, two different photos and a photo of Jai Alai where the Bambino played

Leon 04-01-2023 08:26 AM

side by side pics

Even though it doesn't look exactly alike, it looks enough that I am going wit it. I haven pictures of myself that look different when taken from different angles.
Cool pics and story, Roland.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2328370)
My quote was such:
"Are you suggesting John McGraw is the guy in the front row at far right? Not much of a resemblance there, but maybe it's just the angle of the photograph or something?"

And when I asked for other pictures, I OBVIOUSLY wasn't doubting that he was there, I wanted to see if maybe there were other pictures showing him in street clothes and a 'cowboy' hat sort of thing, but what you posted was a pic of him in uniform, as he seemingly always was when at the field, and you can't see enough of his face to compare it to the chubby white gentleman in the first picture.

Attachment 565167

Roland 49 04-03-2023 06:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In the photo of John McGraw from 1920, when sitting he looks fatter, if he were standing up, he would look stretched out, now I show other photos of McGraw at Almendares Park in 1911, with the New York Giants, 9 years before , in one of the games there was a big discussion when they were losing the game, and offended Almendares catcher Gervasio González, at the end of the game the discussion continued with umpire Rigler in a restaurant and the police intervened and took him to jail, There are photos of what happened.

nwobhm 04-03-2023 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That must be Earl Smith standing next to Ruth.

Casey2296 04-03-2023 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwobhm (Post 2329399)
That must be Earl Smith standing next to Ruth.

Who's the 7 footer?

Roland 49 04-06-2023 05:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I show two more photos of what happened in the game between Almendares and New York, in the 1st we see McGraw and Rigler, McGraw tells the umpire that they have to take the Almendares catcher out of the game, Rigler tries to solve the problem, in the 2nd photo shows McGraw in the New York bank saying that not even for all of Rockefeller's money will he continue to play that game.

Leon 04-12-2023 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland 49 (Post 2330130)
I show two more photos of what happened in the game between Almendares and New York, in the 1st we see McGraw and Rigler, McGraw tells the umpire that they have to take the Almendares catcher out of the game, Rigler tries to solve the problem, in the 2nd photo shows McGraw in the New York bank saying that not even for all of Rockefeller's money will he continue to play that game.

Thanks for sharing those too, Roland. Great stuff.

Roland 49 04-12-2023 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There are Babe Ruth cards in Cuban collections, I now show from Chocolate Baguer and Victoria Collections.

Roland 49 04-25-2023 06:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I show the book "The Monarch and his Prowess" by Horacio Roqueta published in Cuba in 1920 due to the visit of Babe Ruth invited by Abel Linares, the other photos of what was discussed days ago, of the game between Almendares and New York, we see Strike Gonzalez watching the events from a distance, after John McGraw offended him, and the other photo of McGraw retiring in a car after the game ended.

jaynick 04-25-2024 04:40 PM

Additional Memorabilia from the 1920 Cuban Series

3 Attachment(s)
Hey all, I'm new to the group, but I stumbled across this thread while trying to authenticate some memorabilia. I figured it might be something else that goes really nice with this chapter of Ruth's life and Cuban beisbol culture in general. The photos included are a mini Cuba pennant signed by Babe Ruth and Frank Frisch and was given to a waiter as a tip at the Jockey Club Americano in Havana. The waiter wrote the letter to his family and mailed the signed pennant home. The pennant is dated Novembre 4, 1920 and the letter is dated Novembre 6, 1920. I'm not an expert in Spanish, but the waiter was given instructions to never let Ruth's glass go empty.

I'm in the process of getting everything authenticated, but I find it hard to believe someone would forge the signature and base it around Ruth's gambling and drinking binge in Havana.

RUKen 04-25-2024 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2328070)
Are you suggesting John McGraw is the guy in the front row at far right? Not much of a resemblance there, but maybe it's just the angle of the photograph or something?

I am also doubtful that McGraw is in the photo. Johnny Evers, who was a coach for the Giants at that time, is second from right in the bottom row. The biography of Evers titled "Johnny Evers - A Baseball Life" states:

After the season, Evers agreed to take a team consisting mostly of Giants players to Cuba for a winter barnstorming trip.

According to New York newspaper accounts in the fall of 1920, McGraw joined the team sometime after they had arrived and begun playing. The photo may have been taken before he got there.

Snapolit1 04-26-2024 06:19 AM

That’s very cool.
I agree; pretty obscure item for someone to fake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaynick (Post 2429311)
Hey all, I'm new to the group, but I stumbled across this thread while trying to authenticate some memorabilia. I figured it might be something else that goes really nice with this chapter of Ruth's life and Cuban beisbol culture in general. The photos included are a mini Cuba pennant signed by Babe Ruth and Frank Frisch and was given to a waiter as a tip at the Jockey Club Americano in Havana. The waiter wrote the letter to his family and mailed the signed pennant home. The pennant is dated Novembre 4, 1920 and the letter is dated Novembre 6, 1920. I'm not an expert in Spanish, but the waiter was given instructions to never let Ruth's glass go empty.

I'm in the process of getting everything authenticated, but I find it hard to believe someone would forge the signature and base it around Ruth's gambling and drinking binge in Havana.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-26-2024 07:01 AM

My only issue is I can't imagine trying to sign felt with a fountain pen.

Seven 04-26-2024 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2429402)
My only issue is I can't imagine trying to sign felt with a fountain pen.

Neither can I but it looks very thick and almost written and rewritten a couple of times. I'm far from an expert, just my two cents.

Yoda 04-26-2024 11:37 AM

I am pretty sure that Frank Frisch is the player, 4th bottom row.

Luke 04-27-2024 12:29 AM

I think Larry Doyle top row third from left.

This is a great thread that I missed the first time you posted, thank you for sharing!

Luke 04-27-2024 12:33 AM

Top Row from left: George Burns, George Kelly, Larry Doyle, Ruth, Earl Smith, __________ , ____________
Bottom row from left: Art Nehf I think, Dave Bancroft, _________, Frisch, __________, Evers, _________

Bottom row between Frisch and Evers could be Benny Kauff but not sure

brianp-beme 04-27-2024 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 2429619)
Top Row from left: George Burns, George Kelly, Larry Doyle, Ruth, Earl Smith, __________ , ____________
Bottom row from left: Art Nehf I think, Dave Bancroft, _________, Frisch, __________, Evers, _________

Bottom row between Frisch and Evers could be Benny Kauff but not sure

I recognize multiple that you identify, but the player top row, second from left has to be close to 7 feet tall (as Phil mentioned a year ago in his post). If Babe Ruth was indeed 6'2", that would eliminate 6'4' George Kelly as a possibility.

Brian

brianp-beme 04-27-2024 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Besides John McGraw being arrested for his callous racist remarks, I see that they finally nabbed that notorious sausage smuggler Rudolph Stonzel. With his arrest and 25 cents fine, justice has been served, ideally grilled and on a paper plate.

Brian (a suitcase full of sausages...imagine the smell!)

Luke 04-27-2024 04:00 PM

Brian, go to the 1920 Giants baseball reference page and just compare faces of that guy and George Kelly.