Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   . (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=334712)

BobC 04-28-2023 09:20 AM

D. Bergin 04-28-2023 09:34 AM

Arghhh, I saw that this show was coming out awhile ago and wasn't sure whether I should be happy about it, or deeply annoyed.

It's obviously not going to be some sort of in-depth documentary style show.

Brilliant that they got Netflix to give them money for a show, while filming an infomercial for their own product.

There's certain "reality" shows that have a genuine sincerity and authenticity about them...even though you see them sneak in parts that are obviously scripted and prepped for the show (ie, "Deadliest Catch, Pit Bull and Parolees). Hell, even "Pawn Stars" was somewhat quaint, the first few years of the show, before it became unwatchable.

I don't think this is going to be one of those. ;)

Leon 04-28-2023 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2335456)
O-M-G

If you like a cross between Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, Auction Kings, and American Pickers, in other words, pretty much fake reality shows, then enjoy. If anything, to me, it ends up coming across as sort of a version in its presentation of the old Strange Inheritance show.

I'm actually wincing as I'm watching episode #1. It is blatantly a commercial for Goldin Auctions, if nothing else. And at least so far, has no mention whatsoever of the history or reality of Ken Goldin's past and how he got to where he is, or his sometimes questionable and/or ill thought/viewed practices and actions. And of course, it doesn't really make any direct mention that Ken Goldin doesn't actually own his own auction company anymore. It is a reality entertainment show, period. It even credits Peyton Manning as a Producer among other things, and he even shows up in it as well in Episode #2, which I'm sure was another big help in getting Netflix to buy into such a show. It also mentions that Manning has an interest in the company as well.

They do show off some really nice items and collections, if you like looking at other people's stuff, of course, and they definitely like to name drop and/or show famous people, which was likely a major hook or part of how they got Netflix to buy in. Episode #1 includes Drake and even a quick shot of Logan Paul, but it also includes Beanie Babies, so be forewarned. If this is supposed to be a look behind the curtain at how a major sports card/memorabilia auction seller operates..............yeah, right!!!

Bottom line, it is an entertainment reality show, if you enjoy that kind of crap. It is NOT solely all about sports collectibles, but for those parts that are, if nothing else it will likely get some of the younger crowd all hyped up and looking to get into the collecting hobby even more. Episode #2 has a young guy and his Mom come into Goldin with a Topps Chrome gold parallel rookie card of Steph Curry, actually numbered 1/50, and talk about all the money he's going to make that will change his life. They supposedly film the encounter and negotiation to have Goldin appraise the card and try to get the kid and his Mom to consign it to Goldin. YAWN!!!!! So obviously staged and faked, it isn't funny! Like I said, if you like fake reality TV shows that are also disguised commercials, go for it.

I will give the show credit for this though, if you are someone who does come into ownership of a valuable, collectible item, and really know nothing about the process of finding someone to consign and sell through, at least this show will give that person a bit of a look at the kind of BS you're going to get thrown at you.

Oh, and the show even included a bit of a Sopranos reference. Why else bother showing a big, thug-like security guy, accompanying a Goldin rep to go view an item in a collector's home, and make a reference to having ever killed someone? This show is so FOS!!!!

I just PM'd you. Please PM me back as it bounced.

raulus 04-28-2023 10:34 AM

Say what you will about the man and his history. But he sure seems to know how to market his brand to the world.

Peter_Spaeth 04-28-2023 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2335456)

LOL. The price of anonymity.

D. Bergin 04-28-2023 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2335553)
LOL. The price of anonymity.

Things that make you go hmmmmm........

Leon 04-28-2023 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2335559)
Things that make you go hmmmmm........

For the record, there is no absolute anonymity on the forum. I either have a members current info or they won't be a member. Have some slimed underneath the door? Most likely. But when caught they are gone. And the rule at the top of the page is also a non starter. Just like this thread
Thanks
LL