Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I really want this card, but have to fore-go others to do so (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327572)

pawpawdiv9 11-14-2022 09:12 AM

I really want this card, but have to fore-go others to do so

Has anyone been in this situation?
Theres a high-end card i would really like in my collection, so do many others.
I have like only 3 days left to place a bid.
But my funds are tied up and need to sell like 2 cards to maybe have a shot.
Hate to let go of a 51 Mick or a 48 Paige or Green Cobb and they are iconic cards too. Been trying to let go the 84 star Jordan.
The what-ifs??? Remorse&regrets or let it ride!!

bnorth 11-14-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 2283463)
Has anyone been in this situation?
Theres a high-end card i would really like in my collection, so do many others.
I have like only 3 days left to place a bid.
But my funds are tied up and need to sell like 2 cards to maybe have a shot.
Hate to let go of a 51 Mick or a 48 Paige or Green Cobb and they are iconic cards too. Been trying to let go the 84 star Jordan.
The what-ifs??? Remorse&regrets or let it ride!!

With almost every card purchase. For the last 20+ years I have not bought a single card, bat, or other baseball item without selling something to fund the purchase.

Best of luck getting the new card.

timzcardz 11-14-2022 09:35 AM

Life is full of choices.

May you continue to make choices for a very long time. :)

111gecko 11-14-2022 09:58 AM

Every large purchase I make on a card I inform my wife I am doing my best to sell a different one to make up the difference. It's now been 20 years and I'm still looking for the right price on all of those potential sales...:)

Smarti5051 11-14-2022 10:09 AM

I am guessing the more expensive card is one that does not come up as frequently as the cards you mentioned, either because it is in a higher grade or has better centering or is just rare. The three cards you referenced selling are awesome cards, but they are all fairly easily attainable down the line in similar condition. Plus, while you are in a position to liquidate a few cards now to get the "big one," you might not be in that same position in a few years. Whereas, you will likely find opportunities in the future to reacquire the cards you sold by squirreling away some funds and or selling lesser cards that have appreciated. Just my 2 cents.

sb1 11-14-2022 04:04 PM

As above, ask yourself if you could buy the same card tomorrow if you wanted it back(not identical card, just one like it, same graded, etc), if the answer is yes, sell and buy the big one. If it's something really rare/scarce that you own and probably could not replace it for some time if ever and probably even then, at a higher cost, you might want to stand pat.

todeen 11-14-2022 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 111gecko (Post 2283476)
Every large purchase I make on a card I inform my wife I am doing my best to sell a different one to make up the difference. It's now been 20 years and I'm still looking for the right price on all of those potential sales...:)

you made my day!

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

mrreality68 11-15-2022 07:10 AM

For me the situation is usually similar. I have the cards but would not be able to sell fast enough to ensure I have the funds to bid/win the auction. As a result I miss out on that card. However, I do not want to sell what I have and then not get the card I want. Since I would only move cards for upgrades or something I really want
Result many times I miss out because the timing was not right.
An along the way there are many nice cards that I also want and that makes it hard to be able to raise the funds needed to buy it without selling a card.
But that is the joy of collecting

philliesfan 11-15-2022 02:58 PM

If it came to this and was up to me......

Stand pat and eat steak
or
Buy the card and eat Alpo......

I choose Alpo. It's not that bad actually.

Bob