Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=340841)

bk400 09-25-2023 05:21 PM

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce

Somewhat serious questions:

Will the Swifties have any near term impact on the value of Travis Kelce's cards?

How long will it take for Topps Now (or whoever is licensed to produce NFL cards) to come out with a Taylor Swift / Travis Kelce card memorializing the game over the weekend?

If she marries him, would it be bigger than Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio?

clydepepper 09-25-2023 05:36 PM

Q: Who's the great catch and who's the tight end?

(but, seriously, they make a nice looking couple)

clydepepper 09-25-2023 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bk400 (Post 2375844)

Will the Swifties have any near term impact on the value of Travis Kelce's cards?

How long will it take for Topps Now (or whoever is licensed to produce NFL cards) to come out with a Taylor Swift / Travis Kelce card memorializing the game over the weekend?

More like Ja-Lo and A-Rod.

BobbyStrawberry 09-25-2023 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bk400 (Post 2375844)

1. Doubt it
2. Probably not long
3. No

Peter_Spaeth 09-25-2023 06:42 PM

The celebrity worship in this country is really sick IMO. And the vast majority of the celebs are pampered, egomaniacal, self-consumed horror shows. About the last people worthy of that kind of attention. There are exceptions.

JollyElm 09-25-2023 06:55 PM

She is the living embodiment of fingernails on a chalkboard. (The 3 seconds it took to write this is the only time I'll ever waste on that a-hole of a narcissist again.)

bk400 09-25-2023 08:23 PM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisad...h=73d8ee276877

States ranked by number of Taylor Swift fans (https://www.wlwt.com/article/ohio-ha...ort/44477419):
1. Ohio
2. Minnesota
3. Missouri
4. Kentucky
5. Mississippi

To summarize the above, for better or for worse, Taylor Swift is to representative America as Derek Jeter is to Manhattan. If she starts posting about Travis Kelce and the Chiefs, watch out...

Peter_Spaeth 09-25-2023 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bk400 (Post 2375904)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisad...h=73d8ee276877

States ranked by number of Taylor Swift fans (https://www.wlwt.com/article/ohio-ha...ort/44477419):
1. Ohio
2. Minnesota
3. Missouri
4. Kentucky
5. Mississippi

To summarize the above, for better or for worse, Taylor Swift is to representative America as Derek Jeter is to Manhattan. If she starts posting about Travis Kelce and the Chiefs, watch out...

And how long until their breakup dominates the tabloids and social media and she writes some heartachy song about him? Yawn.

butchie_t 09-25-2023 08:54 PM

Who????

packs 09-26-2023 07:57 AM

Fanatics reported a 400% increase in Kelce sales after the game.

Not sure her fans buy cards though haha.

G1911 09-26-2023 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2375908)
Who????

Chiefs Tight End and likely future hall-of-famer.

vthobby 09-26-2023 05:52 PM

Pre War.....

Swiftie was born in 1989. I can see the relevance now on this site.

Pre War.

Afghanistan that is!

:cool::eek:

BobbyStrawberry 09-26-2023 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vthobby (Post 2376126)
Swiftie was born in 1989. I can see the relevance now on this site.

Pre War.

Afghanistan that is!

:cool::eek:

Lol !

vthobby 09-26-2023 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2376130)
Lol !

Swift Disclaimer:

As a US Army Combat Veteran of Afghanistan (2010-11), I'm allowed to make that joke!

lol

:)

todeen 09-26-2023 07:18 PM

I'm not a Swiftie, but I applaud her. She is the biggest pop singer in the world and her music is free from drugs and relatively free from sex. But filled with drama! And she is good at creating lines that are memorable.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

bk400 09-27-2023 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vthobby (Post 2376132)
Swift Disclaimer:

As a US Army Combat Veteran of Afghanistan (2010-11), I'm allowed to make that joke!

lol

:)

As a guy whose former place of work in Manhattan no longer exists, I'm thankful for people like you who went over there to settle the score. I only wish that we withdrew from Afghanistan in a more honorable way, if at all.

As for Taylor Swift, I am not a fan, but I think if you're looking for pop stars that earn their living through actual musical talent as opposed to other attributes, I think she's pretty on the mark. I just hope for the sake of our youth that she doesn't turn into Britney or Madonna as the years tick on.

mrreality68 09-28-2023 04:50 AM

scary but the more she comes to games to more hype for football and related merchandise to him. Be interesting to see if she is at the Sunday Night game and the impact on ratings, talk by the broacasters at the game (and the Sports talk radio the next day of the game. Big talk on ESPN radio and WFAN in NY)

meanwhile if he shows up at her concert I do not think anything extra in hype will occurr. :(

frankbmd 09-28-2023 08:27 AM

I've never been called a Swiftie and am proud of it, even though I have a couple of Swifties in my extended family. Coordinating the schedules of Travis and Taylor will be difficult at least in the fall. Currently Taylor's carbon foot print is larger than Australia, but the average Swiftie could care less about enlarging it to accommodate Travis. It won't be long, I imagine, before the climate change activists will be protesting at Arrowhead Stadium (aka GEHA). I don't think this is going to end well.:eek:

BobbyStrawberry 09-28-2023 08:29 AM

Swifties are great for reaching those hard-to-clean parts of your kitchen floor.

Cliff Bowman 09-28-2023 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2376472)
I've never been called a Swiftie and am proud of it, even though I have a couple of Swifties in my extended family. Coordinating the schedules of Travis and Taylor will be difficult at least in the fall. Currently Taylor's carbon foot print is larger than Australia, but the average Swiftie could care less about enlarging it to accommodate Travis. It won't be long, I imagine, before the climate change activists will be protesting at Arrowhead Stadium (aka GEHA). I don't think this is going to end well.:eek:

They will never protest her or her fellow elites, that's not how they roll.

Peter_Spaeth 09-28-2023 09:55 AM

It's hard to understand why so many people seem to care. It's also hard to understand why people put their whole lives out on social media for the world to see.

Mark17 09-28-2023 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2376441)
scary but the more she comes to games to more hype for football and related merchandise to him. Be interesting to see if she is at the Sunday Night game and the impact on ratings, talk by the broacasters at the game (and the Sports talk radio the next day of the game. Big talk on ESPN radio and WFAN in NY)

meanwhile if he shows up at her concert I do not think anything extra in hype will occurr. :(

I'm cringing at the thought of Taylor Swift joining Kelce and Mahomes in some of their many TV commercials.

G1911 09-28-2023 11:10 AM

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes, and that one will dislike the next generations popular music.

packs 09-28-2023 11:31 AM

I think Kelce likes talking about it and is happy to share almost any detail he can. I don't think it's her bringing the attention to herself.

Peter_Spaeth 09-28-2023 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2376513)
In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes, and that one will dislike the next generations popular music.

It's interesting but I think people's brains get attuned to what they listened to in their formative years. My parents grew up with classical and the standards, and to them all rock n' roll sounded the same (i.e., noise), which my brothers and I just could not for the life of us understand.

JustinD 09-28-2023 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2375905)
And how long until their breakup dominates the tabloids and social media and she writes some heartachy song about him? Yawn.

Really about all there is here in essence.

That said, I ever so slightly prefer this news from Chiefs-land than anything to do with Mahomes wife and/or brother.

Nunzio11 09-28-2023 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2375874)
The celebrity worship in this country is really sick IMO. And the vast majority of the celebs are pampered, egomaniacal, self-consumed horror shows. About the last people worthy of that kind of attention. There are exceptions.

Agreed Peter. I have feeling this is all a big set up anyway. Interesting that the Kelce brothers have a show out on Amazon Prime, the same company with exclusive streaming rights to Thursday night football and some playoffs. Why not bring the biggest pop start in the world into the mix as she just concluded the US leg of her tour and pick up some headlines, likes and non NFL viewers. Whole thing sounds fixed to me.

Snapolit1 09-29-2023 04:51 AM

Taylor Swift is nowhere even close to being on my list of top one million things wrong with this world.

All I see is a young artist with real music skills who seems to bring joy to the lives of hundreds of millions of people.

packs 09-29-2023 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunzio11 (Post 2376557)
Agreed Peter. I have feeling this is all a big set up anyway. Interesting that the Kelce brothers have a show out on Amazon Prime, the same company with exclusive streaming rights to Thursday night football and some playoffs. Why not bring the biggest pop start in the world into the mix as she just concluded the US leg of her tour and pick up some headlines, likes and non NFL viewers. Whole thing sounds fixed to me.

This is my new favorite conspiracy theory. I can't tell who has anything to gain from it but that's what tells me it's got legs.

GasHouseGang 09-29-2023 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2376681)
Taylor Swift is nowhere even close to being on my list of top one million things wrong with this world.

All I see is a young artist with real music skills who seems to bring joy to the lives of hundreds of millions of people.

I agree. She actually has musical talent and writes her own songs. I remember when my teen daughter asked me to buy Taylor's first CD at Target. The employee's had never heard of her and had to go in the back to find me a copy. Things have certainly changed.

mrreality68 09-29-2023 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 2376702)
I agree. She actually has musical talent and writes her own songs. I remember when my teen daughter asked me to buy Taylor's first CD at Target. The employee's had never heard of her and had to go in the back to find me a copy. Things have certainly changed.

and She takes care of her people.
And when she puts on a show she puts on a long long show and gives her fans their moneys worth

You can see her movie soon. I read that she filmed her show and is turning it into a movie for the swifties that could not get to her shows

philliesfan 09-29-2023 09:29 AM

Swiftie fan or not, Kelce fan or not, I would never compare Taylor Swift to Marilyn Monroe or Kelce to Joe DiMaggio. Just no comparison.

Snapolit1 09-29-2023 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2376715)
And when she puts on a show she puts on a long long show and gives her fans their moneys worth

You can see her movie soon. I read that she filmed her show and is turning it into a movie for the swifties that could not get to her shows

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/02/busin...rew/index.html

D. Bergin 09-29-2023 11:28 AM

I started to comment in this thread. Then I caught myself and realized I really had nothing to say. I'm an old man now. This isn't for me.

Then for some reason, this clip popped into my head. :D

https://youtu.be/7Ark799XbkI?si=8myGyGyUFJRl6lZg

todeen 09-29-2023 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2376715)

Her movie pre-sale tickets have sold out in some locations. I can remember when George Strait came out with his movie, Pure Country. My mom dragged us kids along to get the free promo posters.

ocjack 09-29-2023 05:25 PM

What will be the title of the song she writes when they break up. I'm thinking "My tight end didn't score."

Peter_Spaeth 09-29-2023 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocjack (Post 2376814)
What will be the title of the song she writes when they break up. I'm thinking "My tight end didn't score."

I split with my end?

D. Bergin 09-29-2023 06:54 PM

“Heartbreak Huddle”

bk400 09-30-2023 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesfan (Post 2376720)
Swiftie fan or not, Kelce fan or not, I would never compare Taylor Swift to Marilyn Monroe or Kelce to Joe DiMaggio. Just no comparison.

I agree that Kelce doesn't (yet) have the athletic track record or broad cultural status that Joe DiMaggio had. Maybe if Tom Brady were the man of the hour, it might be closer.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Taylor Swift is bigger than Marilyn Monroe.

Swift's fan base is demographically broader (not sure how many female fans Marilyn Monroe had, but I suspect her admirers trended heavily male), and her musical talents will resonate far longer than those of Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn Monroe basically had a 12-year career before she died. Taylor Swift has already had a 15-year career, and I'm not sure she's even hit her peak.

todeen 09-30-2023 11:14 AM

I don't know if Swift/Kelce equals ARod & JLo, or Brady & Gisele, or even Monroe & Dimaggio. But what I do know is Swift is definitely a bigger cultural symbol than JLo and Monroe. Swift tweeted to her fans to register to vote. The next day 35k Swifties registered to vote. This weekend, Swift has influenced the secondary ticket market for Chiefs tickets for just being in the stadium.

I need to add that my niece, 16, is a Swiftie. My Bro-in-law through his Costco membership received pre-sale perks to buy her Eras Tour tickets at box office prices. He bought two tickets. My sister and niece went and had a spectacular time. My niece bought a semi-formal dress, and made dozens of bracelets to trade with other Swifties. We thought it was weird and worried she might be setting herself up for failure. My sister said when they got to the stadium, at least 50% of the teen girls looked like my niece in gowns and dresses with bracelets up to their elbows. Everyone was trading bracelets and having a good time. Very few men in sight. NYT reported because so few men attended the events, men's bathrooms became de facto women's bathrooms.

Anyway, my niece came home gushing about how awesome the concert was and how great a time she had.

To me, Swift is a great role model for teen girls. She's smart, kinda dorky, very original and creative, business savvy, charitable. She's not a sex symbol as far as I know. She doesn't promote drugs. I can see why my niece follows her. And it's probably why her concert tour was a global smash hit.

Peter_Spaeth 09-30-2023 04:44 PM

I'm too old to understand the appeal or the culture, but I agree she doesn't seem trashy and if her worst sin is a series of failed public romances so be it.

StraightRaceCards 10-22-2023 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2376473)
Swifties are great for reaching those hard-to-clean parts of your kitchen floor.

Under rated joke. Made me laugh out loud!

Carter08 10-23-2023 11:27 AM

My wife religiously watches the Bills so that got me through the 1pm games. Swift being at the Chiefs got her interested enough to let a 4pm game play in the house. So thumbs up from me.

JollyElm 10-28-2023 03:05 PM

As annoying as all frickin' hell it is to be forced to watch Taylor Swift's reaction to every single play in a football game, at least she's still a far distant second to Joe Buck in the NFL game annoyance factor.

Peter_Spaeth 10-28-2023 03:18 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39493226793...3ABFBM0si1gu9i

Casey2296 10-28-2023 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2384192)
As annoying as all frickin' hell it is to be forced to watch Taylor Swift's reaction to every single play in a football game, at least she's still a far distant second to Joe Buck in the NFL game annoyance factor.

+1

Peter_Spaeth 10-28-2023 07:03 PM

One of her earliest videos is, ironically, about the star of the high school FB team falling for her instead of the head cheerleader. And I just read she's now a billionaire.

JollyElm 10-29-2023 03:05 PM

Overheard today: "What time's the Taylor Swift game on?"

We are doomed as a society.

frankbmd 10-30-2023 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2376540)
It's interesting but I think people's brains get attuned to what they listened to in their formative years. My parents grew up with classical and the standards, and to them all rock n' roll sounded the same (i.e., noise), which my brothers and I just could not for the life of us understand.

It has been reported that nursing home residents perk up if they are “forced” to listen to their musical favorites when they were youth.

My choice of nursing homes would be the “American Bandstand Convalescent Center.”

Peter_Spaeth 10-30-2023 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2384556)
It has been reported that nursing home residents perk up if they are “forced” to listen to their musical favorites when they were youth.

My choice of nursing homes would be the “American Bandstand Convalescent Center.”

I'm with Bob Seger, still liking that old time rock and roll.