Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stolen Wagner Story (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297949)

71buc 03-04-2021 02:23 AM

Stolen Wagner Story

I was searching for info on a local dealer that I did business with in the early 90’s. His name was John Ianniciello and his shop was called Collector's Corner. He always had amazing stuff. He also had a big personality and seemed to be a bit of polarizing figure. I learned he died 18 years ago. Wow time slips by so quickly.

Nonetheless I found this interesting article he was interviewed for regarding a stolen T206 Wagner. Did anyone here ever do business with John? Does anyone here know the outcome of this story and where that Wagner is today? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upi...1426613108800/

Casey2296 03-04-2021 04:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
John sold me this card as real when I was a kid. My first Babe Ruth card that I worked and saved for a long time to buy. Fake.
I also consigned a large amount of 69/70/71 football, basketball, & hockey cards that included all the major stars in those sets. He took the money.

I don't have a lot of good things to say about people who steal from kids.
-

irv 03-04-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2076522)
John sold me this card as real when I was a kid. My first Babe Ruth card that I worked and saved for a long time to buy. Fake.
I also consigned a large amount of 69/70/71 football, basketball, & hockey cards that included all the major stars in those sets. He took the money.

I don't have a lot of good things to say about people who steal from kids.
-

Karma's a bitch if he really did have that Wagner stolen from him?
I hope you can take solace in that somehow?

Casey2296 03-04-2021 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2076551)
Karma's a bitch if he really did have that Wagner stolen from him?
I hope you can take solace in that somehow?

The T206 wasn't John's, he was just commenting on the incident. I think the IRS finally caught up with him and confiscated a locker full of cards. Karma I suppose.
People like that just remind me how much I appreciate this forum and the many folks here with impeccable integrity who watch out for each other.

And either way, I did pick up this little gem from his shop when I was a kid, Karma I suppose.
-

J-Yo 03-04-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2076517)
I was searching for info on a local dealer that I did business with in the early 90’s. His name was John Ianniciello and his shop was called Collector's Corner. He always had amazing stuff. He also had a big personality and seemed to be a bit of polarizing figure. I learned he died 18 years ago. Wow time slips by so quickly.

Nonetheless I found this interesting article he was interviewed for regarding a stolen T206 Wagner. Did anyone here ever do business with John? Does anyone here know the outcome of this story and where that Wagner is today? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upi...1426613108800/

Thanks for sharing, I’d love to find out the rest of the story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason 03-04-2021 01:49 PM

Fun read. I would like to see what the card looks like if it survived or has been accounted for.

71buc 03-04-2021 05:51 PM

I knew he was a polarizing figure, however, I was unaware of the fraud and stories related to theft. I always wondered what happened to him. He had a shop in Renton Washington for a bit and then moved it to the Edgewood area briefly. Then just closed up shop unexpectedly. That was perhaps related to the IRS incident mentioned above?

No one has any knowledge about the outcome of T206 Wagner mentioned in the story?

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-04-2021 06:24 PM

I'm guessing the story itself is fake, or the Wagner was.

Casey2296 03-04-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2076812)

I remember the story, came out in 1989 up the State from me. Cops were called etc. It was a pretty big deal and seemed credible at the time but you never know. Fake news wasn't a thing back then like it is today.

Gorditadogg 03-04-2021 08:52 PM

Sounds fake to me Phil, but nice Jackie.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tyruscobb 03-04-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2076812)

I agree. Despite knowing the card’s value: (1) the family kept it in a family Bible; (2) a 14-year-old boy had access to it; and (3) a thief would purposely decrease the very item he is stealing. Doesn’t make much sense.

Also, tracking down a 17-year-old, who had attended baseball card club meetings with the owner as well as multiple other boys, should be able fairly easy.

However, crazier things have happened.

Casey2296 03-04-2021 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorditadogg (Post 2076872)
Sounds fake to me Phil, but nice Jackie.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks Al,
Even though John ripped me off as a kid I still pulled some great cards out of that shop. Great lesson in integrity and the value of reputation.

joshuanip 03-05-2021 06:57 AM

Side story, he befriended my dad and he actually stayed over at our house once. He did fall on hard times, and when he lost his cards, he was selling knickknacks on the side of a gas station.