Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   hank aaron trimmed? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146168)

JoeyF 01-14-2012 04:26 PM

hank aaron trimmed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2545wt_1185

novakjr 01-14-2012 04:29 PM

There's a reason it's in a Pro holder. Usually trim jobs...

JoeyF 01-14-2012 04:48 PM

but by looking at it do you see any obvious spots were its been trimmed or altered?

novakjr 01-14-2012 04:54 PM

Judging by the back scan, the top appears to be trimmed.. I could be wrong though.

Chris Counts 01-14-2012 05:16 PM

I suspect the '54 Topps Aaron is one of the most trimmed of all cards and I'll bet this one is as well. Why would the upper right corner be so sharp when the bottom two corners show what looks like normal wear? I think because '54 Topps cards have three white borders and one border that bleeds color to the edge of the card, they're easier than most cards to trim. The top border is trimmed and it at first glance, the card looks normal ...

DJR 01-14-2012 05:32 PM

alanu 01-14-2012 06:24 PM

It's pre-Vietnam War though :o

I guess the term "war" refers to, in the words of Archie Bunker... "WWII, the big one"

HRBAKER 01-14-2012 10:00 PM

PRO 6 = dull knife

JoeyF 01-15-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR (Post 956351)
Joey, why did you post in the pre-War section? I have a feeling Joey is going to wear down the patience of another board w/ questionable posts. I digress...1954 is 9 years post-War II!

I didnt realize i did, my fault and no im not going to wear down anyones patience

bh3443 01-15-2012 02:07 PM

pro

This guy set up and graded at one of my shows in Woburn, Mass!
The line was around the building.
He graded quite a few cards and then did a Virginia show and that's the last I saw of Pro Grading Services....................................

steve B 01-15-2012 03:32 PM

Was he the guy that would also do in-store grading days? The then local shop in Billerica had them in at least once.

Steve B
Quote:

Originally Posted by bh3443 (Post 956605)
This guy set up and graded at one of my shows in Woburn, Mass!
The line was around the building.
He graded quite a few cards and then did a Virginia show and that's the last I saw of Pro Grading Services....................................

bh3443 01-15-2012 04:08 PM

yes, Steve!

Hi Steve,
Good memory! Yes, that was the guy. I believe his name was Joe and I remember getting him a pack of cigarettes (Newports!) when I went to the store next to the hotel that morning.
I did sit down with him and listened to his ideas on the business of grading.
He showed me a paper he had 1-10 written down and a brief description on what to look for when assigning a grade. Not a word was printed about trimmed or altered cards.
I do remember 3 distinct things from that day:
A customer had 4 Griffey UD rookies to be graded that were slabbed Gem Mint 10's. The cards had centering issues and scratches on the hologram.

A customer had some cards graded and returned a few hours later because the holder was not sealed right on a few cards and he had them re-done.

A dealer asked the Pro owner about a price on 100+ cards graded. After they agreed on a price, the dealer told the Pro guy he only wanted to see 2 numbers on his cards: a 1 and a zero! I'm not sure if the deal went through or not.

Apparently, many people bought the machine and set up shop without much experience and this is going to continue to cause issues.
:O)

JoeyF 01-15-2012 06:30 PM

the seller emailed me and said he compared it to his other 54's and said theyre all the same size and that it hasnt been trimmed. he also thinks because it was graded a 6 by pro that psa would grade it a 6 too. the lowest hed go is 900...some people will never learn

steve B 01-15-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh3443 (Post 956638)
Hi Steve,
Good memory! Yes, that was the guy. I believe his name was Joe and I remember getting him a pack of cigarettes (Newports!) when I went to the store next to the hotel that morning.
I did sit down with him and listened to his ideas on the business of grading.
He showed me a paper he had 1-10 written down and a brief description on what to look for when assigning a grade. Not a word was printed about trimmed or altered cards.
I do remember 3 distinct things from that day:
A customer had 4 Griffey UD rookies to be graded that were slabbed Gem Mint 10's. The cards had centering issues and scratches on the hologram.

A customer had some cards graded and returned a few hours later because the holder was not sealed right on a few cards and he had them re-done.

A dealer asked the Pro owner about a price on 100+ cards graded. After they agreed on a price, the dealer told the Pro guy he only wanted to see 2 numbers on his cards: a 1 and a zero! I'm not sure if the deal went through or not.

Apparently, many people bought the machine and set up shop without much experience and this is going to continue to cause issues.
:O)

I remember the ads offering to set up grading companies for something like 15K. I think you got the slab sealer and a starter supply of slabs and maybe a cheap computer to print the tags. I actually asked around to see If I could borrow the money but nobody wanted to do it. Worked out for the best. I don't have the sales skills to make it work, and at the time I didn't have the tact to handle stuff like the guy demanding all 10s. That bit especially wouldn't have gone well.

With really good guidelines I don't think that someone not being into cards would be bad. In some cases it might be better. I'm sure you've seen plenty of inventory with vg commons, vg-ex minor stars and ex-mt stars that all look alike. Starry eyes and wishful thinking. I've had a friend who knows nearly no baseball "Ted Williams played for the redsox right?" He'd heard of Yaz too. Anyway I had him help go through a box of cards his job was to remove only the really nice condition ones. He found 5 out of a couple thousand he thought were really nice.:)

Steve B

Steve B

Leon 01-17-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyF (Post 956511)
I didnt realize i did, my fault and no im not going to wear down anyones patience

Actually you ARE wearing down the patience of a person that has the ability to make it where you don't wear any other Net54baseball board members patience down anymore. Hence the formal infraction given today for your other thread in the wrong place. And is it YOU that said some people never learn? Just trying to understand what is going on here. I am sort of slow, ya' know?