Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Hall of Fame Trivia Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=335281)

wpeters 05-11-2023 03:40 PM

Hall of Fame Trivia Question

I was reading in a 1961 Sporting News that Beals Wright had died. He was the son of baseball Hall of Famer George Wright and of course nephew of Harry. He was a founding partner in the Wright-Ditson Sporting Goods Company. It said he played on Davis Cup tennis teams in 1904, 1905 and 1906. He was elected to the Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI.

This got me thinking, has there ever been another father and son who were elected to different sports halls of fame? I don't know of any other than the Wrights.

commishbob 05-11-2023 03:54 PM

I can't think of any.

Maybe the best father/son 'combo' covering two sports would be Calvin and Grant Hill. I *think* they were both ROYs in their leagues.

EDIT...I just thought of another one...Kyle Rote and Kyle Jr. Kyle Jr is a Soccer Hall of Famer, Kyle Sr was a terrific player, an All Pro.

G1911 05-11-2023 04:09 PM

Professor Mike Donovan is in the boxing hall of fame as a pioneer and early champion.

His son, Arthur, made the boxing hall of fame as a referee.

Arthur’s son of the same name is Art Donovan of the Baltimore Colts, in the NFL hall of fame.

gonefishin 05-12-2023 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2339346)
Professor Mike Donovan is in the boxing hall of fame as a pioneer and early champion.

His son, Arthur, made the boxing hall of fame as a referee.

Arthur’s son of the same name is Art Donovan of the Baltimore Colts, in the NFL hall of fame.

Kudo's! I enjoy reading all your posts. How could you possibly know all these things? If it's from memory - congrats! If it's from Google - still congrats - as I would not even know where to start my search!

G1911 05-13-2023 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2339563)
Kudo's! I enjoy reading all your posts. How could you possibly know all these things? If it's from memory - congrats! If it's from Google - still congrats - as I would not even know where to start my search!

I only know because the grandfather is a guy I especially collect and have a couple of books on; he is featured on one of the great tobacco card rarities of which only 5 are known outside of this uncut sheet of 8 proofs I have. He finally came in handy in trivia! I believe the Donovan clan is also the only 3 generation lineup of hall of famers across any sport/sports.

I can't think of any other answer to the question. The Rote's, as was mentioned by Bob, could count if the non-professional College Football Hall of Fame is eligible as Kyle Sr. is in the Collegiate Hall.

Ken Norton is a a boxing Hall of Famer, and his son Ken Norton Jr. made 3 Pro Bowls but is not in Canton or the college football hall of fame. He's appeared on some college ballots, and he's not that far from Canton, just like Calvin Hill.

Jack Snow and J.T. Snow were both pretty good but neither will ever make a Hall.

NBA star Joakim Noah's dad Yannick was a tennis star. I had to Google if Yannick is in the hall, and it appears he is in the International Tennis Hall of Fame. Joakim was really good and retired just a couple years ago but will not make the Hall.

Those are the only ones I can think of where both father and son were very good players in different sports.