Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Can I get an opinion on this Duke Snider Please? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292041)

mr2686 11-18-2020 07:49 PM

Can I get an opinion on this Duke Snider Please?

1 Attachment(s)
This is supposed to be circa 1955. I'm pretty familiar with several versions of his sig, but I think this one might be Charlie the Brow. I know ol' Charlie did a lot of baseballs, but I had never heard that he did GPC's. There are a few things I like about this, but a few that I don't. Any expert thoughts would be appreciated.

chalupacollects 11-19-2020 03:08 PM

I am thinking no way that is real...looks like a woman wrote it...

mr2686 11-19-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalupacollects (Post 2036827)
I am thinking no way that is real...looks like a woman wrote it...

Yeah it's weird. I like the DU but not the rest of Duke. I like the S and the D in Snider, but not the rest. I also like Best, but the Wishes does not match any other time he wrote that pre or post. Like I said weird. Oh well, I really liked it more for when it was signed, but this one isn't passing the smell test I think.

ronniehatesjazz 11-22-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 2036870)
Yeah it's weird. I like the DU but not the rest of Duke. I like the S and the D in Snider, but not the rest. I also like Best, but the Wishes does not match any other time he wrote that pre or post. Like I said weird. Oh well, I really liked it more for when it was signed, but this one isn't passing the smell test I think.

Definitely not an expert... I seem to have a penchant for buying fakes lol. However, I agree the DU looks good IMO. I think these vintage autos are so hard to get a definite yes or no. Even today players signatures evolve and I think they have less reason to do so than back then. Think about how many signatures a player might have signed in 1955 compared to today. Once Duke hit the card show circuit it would have been pretty standardized but during that era maybe he only signed an autograph here and there and legibility was of far greater concern than consistency. I do think clubhouse autos are always a consideration for these items but I think people are far more likely to write off authentic autos from this time because of the ambiguity.

rlevy 11-23-2020 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put together a comparison of my Snider GPC from 1951 with your signature, mine is the one on top. It could be different since there is a four year gap, but I'm pretty sure mine is legit and yours looks different to me, both in the slant and letter formation. Charlie was good at this, but often he didn't really form the letters fully, just made them kind of loopy. I think that is what you have.

Attachment 427421

mr2686 11-23-2020 04:13 PM

Thanks Rick. Yeah, I'm gonna pass on this one. It was a GPC that was signed (at least mailed) right after the all-star break in 1955. I was thinking it would be cool (if real) to be in my Brooklyn display since they won that year...but there's too many red flags. Oh well.